observations on Model 8 and Model 14 bottom-tang buttplates

Adam Lee

observations on Model 8 and Model 14 bottom-tang buttplates

Post by Adam Lee »

Guys,

I'm looking at my notes as I work on my guns, and darned if I never noticed that the Model 8 mix-master I own has a 1923 production Model 14 rifle buttplate. I never put much thought into why the s/n on the back of the plate - a steel bottom-tang style - was stamped C 87785. Of course, there are two giveaways as to this being a Model 14 plate if you spend a moment - which I guess I never did!
1. C is the factory letter code for Model 14 rifles
2. Model 8's never went near the 80,000 serial range. Duh!

Actually the reason I even noticed was when I was going over my Model 14 rifle, a 1923 .32 Rem rifle, I saw that the buttplate was identical in every way to the one on my mix-master Model 8. Finally looked at them side by side, and they are both 87xxx serial range and the same year of production. Interesting!

So then, I looked into things in some books and at photos and I realized just how many cross-over gun parts occasionally interchange like this. My guess is that you all have noticed this I'm sure, and pay closer attention to such things than I have done.

Any other cross-Remington buttplates interchange that you all know of, from the different Model 8 stocks (straight grip, round knob, pistol grip cap styles) to the other Model 14 or various Remington shotgun stocks?

Have fun!
Adam
I am a regular joe, consisting of 78% coffee, 12% hot air, 9% organizational abilities, and 1% luck.
jack1653

Re: observations on Model 8 and Model 14 bottom-tang buttpla

Post by jack1653 »

Hey Adam,

Great observation! ;) I might have to check some of my rifles one of these days to see if I may have some of the same thing. The nice thing about collecting, there is always something else to look for about these rifles.

Regards,

jack1653