serial number studies, anyone?

Adam Lee

serial number studies, anyone?

Post by Adam Lee »

Guys,

I have had an idea that maybe others have already pondered. Thinking on the information John Henwood stirs up in the fifth chapter of his great 8 book - "A History of Markings" - would there be any interest here on this forum to create a "sticky" that might support those of us here who are gun "historians", if not necessarily full-blown collectors?

For example, many of you certainly own various other firearms which you have similar interests in exploring their production details, background and history.

Is it possible such a "serial number study" could be arranged here, for the purposes of learning from the data?
Specifically I am fascinated by the multitude of fitter's and assembler's marks.

Now I don't have time to write everything I want here, but we could be real techno and have a very user-friendly format.
Like Henwood's method - for noting Model 8/81 exterior/interior markings for example (edited excerpt from his book, "The Great Remington 8 and Model 81 Autoloading Rifles):

33xxx (1914) "circled K" on receiver; "N" above s/n, unmarked trigger guard, bbl jacket head rear face "F", "H", barrel: "Y64", "A"

Just a thought. My new/old 81 in .300 Savage has some interesting marks - I like the 6-pointed star stamped on the side of the receiver "stem" hidden by the buttstock. Also has the diamond by the .300 SAV stamp on the barrel, which Henwood notes was appropriate and observed after 1942 production 81's.

Anyway, dig into this and let's see what happens.
If anybody ever had experience taking their rifles apart without fear of damage, this might appeal to you more.

I realize that not every collector believes in taking the stock or receiver apart - different strokes for different folks - I respect that.

Adam
I am a regular joe, consisting of 78% coffee, 12% hot air, 9% organizational abilities, and 1% luck.
81police

Re: serial number studies, anyone?

Post by 81police »

Hey, you guys build whatever serial number list y'all want! With 125+ thousand of these rifles made you're sure to find a gamut of symbol and letter stamps. I've never took the time to examine or study them much, at least part from what John Henwood documented in his book. Lots of data there though.

The info we do maintain here at The Great 8 website are serial number databases on the earliest known 8's & 81's, the latest known 8's and 81's, all known FBI rifles, all known Police rifles, all known FN 1900's, all known Trials Rifles and all known NIB Model 8's and 81's.

I look forward to any info y'all provide though!
Cam Woodall
Site Co-Administrator
S and S HUNTCLUB

Post by S and S HUNTCLUB »

Hey Cam, Do have this new in the box Remington Model 81 300 Savage on your list? I thought this one was a very nice buy. Wish I would have seen the auction before Ladue.

http://www.gunauction.com/buy/12823505

Enjoy Life, Bob @ S and S HUNTCLUB
81police

Post by 81police »

Bob, thanks for the link, we did not have this one on file! :D
Cam Woodall
Site Co-Administrator
S and S HUNTCLUB

Post by S and S HUNTCLUB »

You're welcome sir. Best regards, Bob
Adam Lee

Post by Adam Lee »

Okay, obviously I missed wherever it is that there is a "sticky" or what have you for a formal, organized list of the data I mentioned. I do realize that these ideas are not new - just wasn't aware of this data being presented in a common format in a "one stop shopping" location.

Do you guys plop all your data on the OTHER "companion" site - not THIS forum site? I'm not stupid. Just provide me with that location, so I can evaluate the information.

Is there a stickied thread Cam, or just information here and there?
Thanks.
Adam

I am still at work and can't get out quite yet - sure wish I could though.
I am a regular joe, consisting of 78% coffee, 12% hot air, 9% organizational abilities, and 1% luck.
81police

Post by 81police »

Great questions Adam. Unfortunately we do not have a sticky nor do we have these lists publicly available. As much as I would LOVE to have such a thing, a majority of the serial numbers & photos we have of these rare guns were given in confidence by the various owners. Many of whom requested us to keep them private. So we use the lists when researching for a new article or updating an old one.

But if you want to start a new thread requesting numbers and data of your own liking, I say by all means go for it!
Cam Woodall
Site Co-Administrator