Army Trials rifle

mac66

Army Trials rifle

Post by mac66 »

On the webpage there are photos of an Army trials rifle but no description or explanation. It doesn't say if it is an 8 or 81 but with the straight stock I assume it was an 8. I am now curious as to the circumstances of this rifle. Again assuming it was an 8 I have to assume it was intended for WWI. Was it actually tested? When was it proposed? The idea of a semi auto .30 cal fed with stripper clips used during WWI is intriguing. Obviously it wasn't but think of possibilities. Does anyone have any other info on this?
81police

Re: Army Trials rifle

Post by 81police »

Hey mac66,

John Henwood's "The Great Model 8" book probably has as much info on the US Army Trials rifle than you'll find anywhere, but even it's not much.

The short short version is that the US Army had Springfield Armory modify 25 Remington Model 8's (all .25Rem caliber). The intent wasn't to see if the Model 8 was suitable for service use (it wasn't) but to use it's platform for tactics development of self-loading rifles. There were some obvious alterations to the Model 8 which make these guns really stand out. Their sale prices really stand out too, they are among some of the most sought after and highest priced, paid-for Model 8's. I feel privileged and I've only HELD one, haha.

Surprisingly quite a few of the original 25 "Trials Rifles" are still known to exist. Last time I checked I had 10 on record, but certainly there's more out there.
Cam Woodall
Site Co-Administrator
mac66

Re: Army Trials rifle

Post by mac66 »

Thanks for the info. I was curious that a seemingly reliable semi auto, that could be fed with stripper clips would have been overlooked for consideration. A bit ahead of it's time perhaps as the tactics of the day with bolt action rifles didn't change for another 30-40 years in most countries.