* *NEW PAGE: Remington's Aerial Autoloader

81police

* *NEW PAGE: Remington's Aerial Autoloader

Post by 81police »

Hey y'all, we've put together a new, short article titled: "REMINGTON’S AERIAL AUTOLOADER: The Model 8’s Pioneering use in Aviation" You can find it from the home page or at the link below. Feel free to post any comments or questions here.

http://thegreatmodel8.remingtonsociety. ... ge_id=2035

Our research here at the Great 8 is constantly ongoing, so if you come across any historical information regarding the Remington Model 8, Model 81, or FN 1900 please email me at cat9x@hotmail.com
Cam Woodall
Site Co-Administrator
Roger

Re: * *NEW PAGE: Remington's Aerial Autoloader

Post by Roger »

Hey Cameron,
This is really good work on your part. I've never heard of these stories, so I'm grateful to you for bringing them to light here on our forum. That must have been an exciting time,during the fledgeling development of semi automatic firearms. And our hero JMB was right at the heart of it all. I'd love to shoot any hi-power rifle from an airplane,but hunting anything from any moving vehicle, is strictly prohibited here in Iowa. Still, it would be a blast to chase around coyotes from an airplane or helicopter. And shooting at them with an old model 8/81 would be a real good time!! I would guess though, that learning angles and lead distances would definitely be challenging.
Thanks for your hard work and time,
Roger
Roger
raw4555@gmail.com
mr mike

Re: * *NEW PAGE: Remington's Aerial Autoloader

Post by mr mike »

This is really great information! I've often wondered if someone had attempted to use an AUTOLOADER while airborne.
In John Henwood's Remington 8 book, pages 30, and 31, He address's the issue of the early world war one, French military aviation units to aquire Remingtons, Brownings, and Winchesters prior to 1917 when technology advances finally allowed mounting machine guns on airframes. Apparently they were able to get about 90 of the Belgian made FN rifles and had a large number of American made model 8's in 35 cal. on order. Not sure how many model 8's ultimately made it to france. Those that did had a stamp branded on the stock of the French Air Service, plus a serial number.
Now that is model 8 collectable I'd be willing to pay top dollar for if available. Unfortunately, it doesn't appear any of them made it back across the pond after the war. :-)