Mystery Solved!? Captian Frank Hamer's Model 8

nabaker

Mystery Solved!? Captian Frank Hamer's Model 8

Post by nabaker »

What do you guys think of that? I found this is an article entitled "Guns & The Hunt For Texas Killers Bonnie & Clyde" in the 2004 Gun Digest Annual issue.

In my opinion, this should be the "nail in the coffin", so to speak, for y'alls theory as to the actual type of rifle used during the ambush of Bonnie & Clyde.
81police

Re: Mystery Solved!? Captian Frank Hamer's Model 8

Post by 81police »

nabaker,

Great way of keeping an eye out! I always enjoy new photos or information pertaining to famous Model 8's. Thanks for taking the time to post this :)

That particular Model 8 is also featured in a color photo on page 257 of John Henwood's "The Great Remington 8" (2003). The book states the rifle is chambered in 30 caliber, serial no. G49643, owned by Texas A&M University and on display at the Texas Ranger Hall of Fame Museum in Waco, TX.

But for the author of the Gun Digest article to say definitively that "Hamer later used the rifle to end the careers of Bonnie & Clyde" is a bold statement considering the array of conflicting testimonies. But that's a whole other topic altogether :D

Thanks again!
Cam Woodall
Site Co-Administrator
nabaker

Post by nabaker »

Darn! Thought I was onto something there...

Thanks for the clarification and the additional information!
Catskill Tom

Post by Catskill Tom »

Is it know historically what caliber Model 8 is he said to have used ? Was it a .30 Remington or something else?
Phyrbird

Post by Phyrbird »

NAB,
Don't B Darned; that's for socks :!: :lol:

Reading this and other forums there are about 3 differing accounts of who used what in the ambush. :?
Unless a personal journal or diary surfaces guess we can pick our favorite, and know that one of our ladies was there. I do seem to recall the caliber there that day was 35 Rem. Personally I find the design, precision of parts, and cool sights more fascinating. :ugeek: Only in the last couple of decades has the level of cool crept up in the industry. 8-)
We are in interesting times. Wish there were more resources for repairs & restoration; our ladies deserve better. :|
Phyrbird
SOKY
olskool

Post by olskool »

i was just looking at the video cam put on youtube a wile back. if you look at the guns on top of the car and if you look at the bore of the model 8 it looks like a 25 caliber not a 35 that has been spun into legend. i wonder if it was a 25?
I have never harvested an animal, but I have killed quite a few.............