FRANK HAMER'S RIFLE - VIDEO

81police

FRANK HAMER'S RIFLE - VIDEO

Post by 81police »

We've uploaded a new video on our youtube channel dealing with whether Frank Hamer actually carried a police version of the Model 8 at the Bonnie & Clyde ambush. This is basically a video version of the article on our main page. Hope y'all enjoy.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4nYGLzHaifw
Cam Woodall
Site Co-Administrator
jim8008

Re: FRANK HAMER'S RIFLE - VIDEO

Post by jim8008 »

Today marks the seventy-ninth anniversary of Bonnie and Clyde's last ride. Three or four Model 8 rifles were used in the
ambush (definitely by Oakley and Alcorn, probably by Hamer and Gault).

The most documented rifle, a .35 used by Bienville Parish Deputy Sheriff Prentiss Oakley, allegedly fired the first shot and
struck Clyde in the left temple. This rifle sold in March 2006 at the James D. Julia Auction in Fairfield, Maine for $69,000.
Hardrada55

Post by Hardrada55 »

Thank you for this.... it's a very good video with lots of interesting information. I enjoyed it.
...the right of citizens to bear arms is just one more guarantee against arbitrary government, one more safeguard against the tyranny which now appears remote in America..."
- Hubert H. Humphrey, "Gun" magazine, Feb. '60
81police

Post by 81police »

The earliest account, that I know of, listing who carried what firearm is from Sheriff Jordan. His list directly corresponds to the photographs we have of the firearms on top of Bonnie & Clyde's car at the ambush site (as pictured in my video). I believe these two pieces of evidence are the most accurate in determining the firearms used, not books written 30+ years after the ambush. Just my thoughts though! Sheriff's Jordan's words...

"Deputy Hinton was armed with a Browning automatic rifle. Deputy Alcorn, Captain Hamer and Patrolman Gault were armed with automatic shotguns loaded with buckshot. Deputy Oakley and I were carrying Remington automatic rifles and there was a third rifle of that type available for use. All of us, of course, were carrying our regular sidearms." - True Detective Magazine, November 1934
Cam Woodall
Site Co-Administrator
81police

Post by 81police »

Sheriff Jordan continued in the article describing the actual ambush itself with the firearms listed above...

"The sharp report of a rifle sounded. Its echo was drowned by the roar of six guns. Lead was poured into Barrow's car. The windshield was shattered. Most of the bullets were taking effect there and in the left front door of the sedan. The car continued to move. Gunfire was raking it from six angles. The glass in the rear left door was blown to bits. I saw black holes appear in the side of the car. The noise was deafening. I had no idea of time. It might have been an hour that I stood there on the firing line. Actually, everything was over in seconds." - True Detective Magazine, November 1934
Cam Woodall
Site Co-Administrator
DWalt

Post by DWalt »

Too bad some TV reporter wasn't there with a video camera to record the event in real time and get sound bites from each of the participants. I doubt that there will ever be complete agreement about who used what gun on that day. The outcome of the ambush would have been the same under any assumptions.

By the way, there is allegedly a new movie from Universal about B&C in the works called "Highwaymen" starring Liam Neeson (probably as Frank Hamer) and Woody Harrelson (character unknown). Maybe they need some technical advice regarding guns from the people here?

I pulled up on Youtube the ambush scene from the 1967 movie with Warren Beatty and Fay Dunaway. It sure doesn't match accounts of the time. Clyde (Beatty) was not shown to be in the car but walking around outside it when shot, and two of the cops were shown clearly as carrying Thompsons, with no Model 8s in sight. So I guess a little more factual correctness would be in order for the next movie.

The Screenwriter/Director for "Highwaymen" is given as John Lee Hancock (a Texas native) at:
John Lee Hancock
Creative Artists Agency
2000 Avenue of the Stars
Los Angeles, CA 90067
USA
81police

Post by 81police »

Our website was contacted last month by the armorer for the upcoming series, "Bonnie and Clyde: Dead and Alive". They originally contacted us looking to purchase or borrow a POE magazine. We then discussed the misconception of a POE rifle being present and which firearms were photographed on the hood of the car. The company did not own Model 8's but decided to substitute Model 81's instead. It would take a close eye to notice the difference while the guns are in action. I guess we'll wait and see, hopefully this rendition of the ambush will portray a greater deal of firearms accuracy.
Cam Woodall
Site Co-Administrator
DWalt

Post by DWalt »

Surprising that the series is being done in Baton Rouge. Not only would Shreveport be much closer to the actual ambush locale, but an amazing number of movies, series, and commercials are filmed in Shreveport. It's sort of a miniature Hollywood.
imfuncity

Post by imfuncity »

Our website was contacted last month by the armorer for the upcoming series, "Bonnie and Clyde: Dead and Alive".
That had to be fun talking with them and being a little part of it! :D Very cool. I really appreciate their looking into being accurate in the presentation.
Though defensive violence will always be “a sad necessity” in the eyes of men of principle, it would be still more unfortunate if wrongdoers should dominate just men. - St. Augustine