Frank Hamer's Rifle

81police

Frank Hamer's Rifle

Post by 81police »

I've added a new page to the site called "Frank Hamer's Rifle" which can be found from the home page. Please have a look see and feel free to comment, I'm always open to new information.
Cam Woodall
Site Co-Administrator
Cozahome

Re: Frank Hamer's Rifle

Post by Cozahome »

Good information Cam.
jack1653

Post by jack1653 »

Hey Cam,

I enjoyed reading the new information about Frank Hamer. I would think that setting the record straight is good. It certainly helps those of us interested in the history of these rifles to know what the facts are about the various options and features of the rifle. A good job of investigative reporting. I am proud of you Cam.

Jack1653
Cozahome

Post by Cozahome »

Cam, I have read conflicting reports on the caliber of Hamer's rifle used in the shooting of B&C, some say .25 and others say .35. Which is it?
Hardrada55

Post by Hardrada55 »

I don't know. I'm sure someone who does will chime in and straighten us out though. I don't think it was Hamer's .25 Remington Model 8 because I've seen a picture of that gun and it is a highly engraved E or F Grade gun. As cognizant as he was of ballistic performance (He choose to use a 1911 in the new .38 Super Automatic chambering for the ambush because of it's superior penetration of car bodies) my bet is on the .35, though, you know, it could have possibly been a .30 or .32. I think Prentiss Oakley's Model 8 was a .30 Remington caliber rifle, was it not?
...the right of citizens to bear arms is just one more guarantee against arbitrary government, one more safeguard against the tyranny which now appears remote in America..."
- Hubert H. Humphrey, "Gun" magazine, Feb. '60
model8man

Post by model8man »

http://texashideout.tripod.com/bc.htm

Guys:

Go to this website and check it out. It is really cool.

Click on "Barrow Guns" and scroll down to see the borrowed Remington model 8A 35 Remington that Prentis Oakley used to fire the first shot (and last as far as Clyde was concerned) of the "battle", (if that is what you want to call it). According to this account and other I have read, Prentis Oakley sent a 35 cal ball straight through Clyde's brain from 25 feet and if you read the autopsy there is a wound noted I believe near Clyde's left ear and exiting the right side of the head. Prentis Oakley was a noted marksman, although I'm pretty sure I could hit a pumpkin with my 35 at the distance of 8 yards too.

Also you can go down a little further and click on "model 8A" for more info on the gun.

Pretty cool if you like that kind of stuff.

Randy