Bonnie and Clyde

35Rem

Re: Bonnie and Clyde

Post by 35Rem »

What an odd picture. Hamer looks totally disinterested and disconnected from the others.

Hinton looks like the kinda guy not to cross!

Gault looks like a mean little cuss, too!
War Eagle!
Cozahome

Post by Cozahome »

Tough men doing a tough job when there were no car radios to call for help...they did it by themselves mostly.
TNyoteboy

Post by TNyoteboy »

Hinton looks like somebody they would be going after..........
Hardrada55

Post by Hardrada55 »

Hamer looks like he was a big strong guy. Mean, too. He took 2 bullets in an ambush attempt in Sweetwater, Texas in 1917. One shot in the shoulder and one shot in the leg. And then he still whipped the other guy with one hand and chased him to a nearby car where he then shot him dead as the miscreant attempted to retrieve a shotgun.

Check it out....yeah, it's been embellished a little bit, but the truth of it all is still in there.

http://www.truewestmagazine.com/stories ... t_out/143/
...the right of citizens to bear arms is just one more guarantee against arbitrary government, one more safeguard against the tyranny which now appears remote in America..."
- Hubert H. Humphrey, "Gun" magazine, Feb. '60
Viper Spray

Post by Viper Spray »

Hamer was the first to walk up to B&C's car after the shooting stopped , he set his .35 Rem. up against the car and opened the door , Clyde fell out and Rem. fell on top of Clyde. Hamer never really talked about his exploits as a Ranger but on his deathbead he told his son that he had killed 52 men and one woman,(Bonnie)legally and that he went to sleep every night knowing that he did right. I just read Texas Ranger Tales by Mike Cox , plenty of good tales in that book...........
critter

Post by critter »

We called that "mean little cuss" Big Daddy although he wasn't so big. I prefer to remember him as a "tough little cuss" with a very clearly defined sense of right and wrong.

Capt. B.M. Gault's Model 8 was my first deer rifle. He was my Grandpa.
critter

Post by critter »

Glad to be here. I wan't offended at all. I laughed. I am sure he was plenty "mean" to "mean" people.

Seems like Frank Hamer, Jr. explained that Capt. Hamer was distracted in that photo. Unfortunatley, it is too late to ask him now. I will check with the third generation and see if he has the story.

For you guys that like Mike Cox's style or Ranger stories in general, note that he has two brand new volumes out.
model8man

Post by model8man »

Where is Prentiss Oakley?

He is the man that reputedly fired the first round of the 'battle' from the staggering range of 25' (8 yards) straight through Clyde's brain with the model 8 35 Remington that he borrowed from a dentist friend of his.

According to a lot of historical accounts I have read it was just a bunch of guys trying to kill Bonnie that fired the next 140 some rounds.

Poor Clyde...they should have asked him if he wanted to give up before they shot him.....NOT!

Can you imagine if that would have happened today? One picture of that car on the 6 o'clock news and they would have put all of them rangers in jail for 100 years. Oh...for the good ol' days.

Randy