Montana here we come!

Talk about things other than the Model 8's and 81's
Behemotosh

Montana here we come!

Post by Behemotosh »

Hey everyone,

I am taking one of the "old girls" out for a buffalo hunt near Jordan, Montana. :D It should be a real kick. 8-) Its billed as a Trophy Bull hunt.

The Model 8 I am taking is the second Model 8 that my Grandfather bought. Its a later one, 62xxx in 32 Rem, but it is not in good condition. But what the heck, it shoots, and its as accurate as I have seen in these guns. It could be more accurate if a real target shooter was doing the shooting. :oops:

I will post pictures when I get back.

Shoot straight!
Behemotosh
imfuncity

Re: Montana here we come!

Post by imfuncity »

Way-cool! What a blast. :D We will enjoy it with you through the pics.
Though defensive violence will always be “a sad necessity” in the eyes of men of principle, it would be still more unfortunate if wrongdoers should dominate just men. - St. Augustine
Superimposed

Post by Superimposed »

No shame in taking the .44 as a backup to that .32 Rem. I'd keep a pickup between you and the buffalo. They can turn way shorter than a cow, no side stepping them. Know a fellow that was chased around his pickup twice before he could get in.
imfuncity

Post by imfuncity »

Reckon a guy would need a video camera it you are going to have all of that kind of excitment! :o 44 indeed!
Though defensive violence will always be “a sad necessity” in the eyes of men of principle, it would be still more unfortunate if wrongdoers should dominate just men. - St. Augustine
Behemotosh

Post by Behemotosh »

What a hunt! :D
The old girl can do it! One shot just behind the ear at 150 yards (so the guide says-I think it was about 85 to 90 yards). And yes, we used the video and the still camera. I haven't seen the video yet.
It took two days of ATV riders, an airplane and three pickup trucks to find them. The plane did not find them-why I do not know. Anyway, I shot at a coyote and the herd stampeded out of a dry wash from where we could not see them. The hunt was in the Missouri Breaks which is the most jumbled up land I have seen. We had to drive a half hour to catch up to them. Once we found them again, we had to stay in the truck for about 15 minutes to let them get a ways away. We sneaked up on them from behind a coulee and I was able to get a good shot on a good bull.
I plan to send a picture to Cam so it can be put in the forum.

Shoot straight!
Behemotosh
imfuncity

Post by imfuncity »

I'm excited just reading 'bout your hunt. At least you weren't "chasing them" on horseback - modern age does have it's advantages ;)

When it comes time to post your pic, if Cam is otherwise occupied :D (for the next week or two) feel free to send them to me - one way or another we'll get 'em up for you.
81police

Post by 81police »

Congrats to Larry, this must have been an awesome hunt, it sure made an awesome picture!

Cam Woodall
Site Co-Administrator
Behemotosh

Post by Behemotosh »

Why would one take a .44 when he had a .32 Rem autoloader? There are a lot of very big rattlers in this area, but it was too cool for them to be a problem.

As noted in the website, the Model 8 was touted as being a reliable, powerful gun for the Western Hunter when it was intoduced. While I have a Model 81 in .300 Savage, I am not too fond of the recoil. I believe the spring pole recoil/reloading system on the .300 Savage is over-maxed and one's shoulder takes the rest of the recoil.

Incidentally, the guides use .223 bolt action rifles for killing Buffalo. Oh yes, the Indians used bows and arrows and spears.

Shoot straight!
Behemotosh
81police

Post by 81police »

My dad shot a Bison here in Texas a couple years ago with a 130gr. 270Win. 1 shot was all it took. No wonder your signature is "shoot straight" haha, props on the hunt.
Cam Woodall
Site Co-Administrator
imfuncity

Post by imfuncity »

Thanks for the picture, very cool. I've got a piece of buffalo in the freezer that I'm planning to BBQ for T'day - tried another last year but it was tough (must be doing something wrong). Looks like you'll be doing a lot of BBQ'ing!!