.25/.30/and .32 strippers.

Talk about things other than the Model 8's and 81's
45guy

.25/.30/and .32 strippers.

Post by 45guy »

I have found a way to cheaply mass produce stripper clips for them. If someone can send the dimensions of an original I would greatly appreciate it. Namely length, width of clip, width at ears, and spacing from end of clip to ears. They will be ugly as sin, but functional, and I will send them to anyone in need.
"The sound of shot sweeping through the air toward you is impressive though. I'll give you that. It's like being swatted with the broom of God."
45guy

Re: .25/.30/and .32 strippers.

Post by 45guy »

Thank you to Jack! I'll start production this week, and any forum member who likes to actually shoot their 8 or 81 can receive them for the princely sum of FREE!
"The sound of shot sweeping through the air toward you is impressive though. I'll give you that. It's like being swatted with the broom of God."
ROBOPUMP

Post by ROBOPUMP »

Please send me 4 or 5.
Robert Bowden
11715 Wolf Run Lane
Houston, TX 77065
45guy

Post by 45guy »

I'll see what I can do. The first batch will be really nice, but the limiting factor is the number of Seymor Industries .308 strippers I have. Most are currently loaded with .30 '06 for a lesser known Remington. Once I'm out I'll have to start fabricating the outer portion, and my craftsmanship has often been compared to a worker at a soviet tractor factory... Not very aesthetically pleasing but functional.
rem81auto

Post by rem81auto »

45guy,

I could use a couple. tks Dennis
45guy

Post by 45guy »

I'm throwing 5 together today. It has turned into a PITA, as there is brazing rod here yet the tanks are empty. I'll have to run to the in-laws to finish them up. I'll send the first couple out to those that have asked to get their opinion. So please have a little patience, I'll start cranking them out soon enough.
rem81auto

Post by rem81auto »

45guy,

Please don't make yourself crazy on my account. I am in no hurry. Tks again, Dennis
45guy

Post by 45guy »

Sent you an email at your web site Dennis.
45guy

Post by 45guy »

Finished roughing up a couple today. To be frank I had forgotten how much I hate brazing, especially fine work. For the record it's almost impossible to do with inner ear problems! So to ensure everyone gets what they want I'm posting a how to:

Last edited by 45guy on Sun Feb 27, 2011 11:00 am, edited 1 time in total.
imfuncity

Post by imfuncity »

So, does it work?

Just for thrills, how does hearing/inner ear affect brazing? I've only brazed in a class in HS way too many years ago - just wondering.
Though defensive violence will always be “a sad necessity” in the eyes of men of principle, it would be still more unfortunate if wrongdoers should dominate just men. - St. Augustine
45guy

Post by 45guy »

It's a pain to try to stand and hold something small steady when your equilibrium is shot.
imfuncity

Post by imfuncity »

Hadn't thought of that.
I may have to send you grandmas "walker" if you are going to stay in your present line of work. Have you thought of going SWAT, sounds safer and they have more proctective gear. ;)
Though defensive violence will always be “a sad necessity” in the eyes of men of principle, it would be still more unfortunate if wrongdoers should dominate just men. - St. Augustine
45guy

Post by 45guy »

I'm probably going to end up going back to school, or find a gunsmith to apprentice under. BTW, they work...
imfuncity

gunsmithing!

Post by imfuncity »

Indeed, it does look like they work - never having used one I was some confused as to the purpose for your brazing, I understand better now with your picture.

If you are serious about the gunsmithing, I think that would be a great idea for you, based on what I've seen. When I checked into it (before it was obvious I didn't have a clue), I heard good things about the NRA classes http://www.nragunsmithing.com/ both at Trinidad State Junior College in CO and Montgomery Community College in NC. The reports from students who went to Lassen Community College in CA were not good. I have no info on the one in OK.

Likely there are some good schools near you too. I've found the guys at Brownells very helpful in recommending schools, might help with a local gunsmith also. I'd also check with the folks at http://www.buckeyefirearms.org/

(FYI, my local gunsmith gets hit regularly by guys who think they can be gunsmiths and wants him to teach them, he says it is very tiring saying no - a nice guy given to under statements.)
45guy

Post by 45guy »

At the moment I'm searching for more .308 strippers. As soon as I dig some up I'll start sending some out.
45guy

Post by 45guy »

Really, I am planning on turning some of these out eventually.
imfuncity

Post by imfuncity »

I never doubt you on the VC - vaporclips ;) Don't you hate it when life gets in the way. :oops: No hurries on my end.
DWalt

Post by DWalt »

Someone might want to look at the 7.62X39 Russian 10-shot chargers for SKS, etc. as a starting point for modification to .25/.30/.32 Rem in the M8/81. Rounds fit but the charger seem a bit too wide for my receiver slot. Maybe someone with more mechanical ability than I can figure out how to modify them for use with the M8/81. The 5.56 chargers won't take the wider rim of the .30 Rem, so that route is out, and the 7.62 NATO strippers are too big. 7.62X39 strippers are very common - I see them at gun shows for 50 cents each.

Would be nice if there were chargers made for the 6.8mm SPC, but I can't find that those exist.
45guy

Post by 45guy »

Believe me, the 5.56 work, they just need to be opened up ever so slightly. Just running a .30 case through a couple of times is enough.
45guy

Post by 45guy »

Production of a "pretty" version should be starting SOON. There appears to be some interest in these, shoot me a PM for details.
45guy

Post by 45guy »

Since I have neither the time or resources to make a quantity of them, as you all can tell seeing as it has been so long, I will tell how my final product was assembled. On the original, I merely folded over the lips on the .308 charger, on the final I dremeled them off to give a little more room to play with. With the 5.56 clip, I merely worked a .30 case through a couple of times to open it up; on the final revision I fabricated a small triangular mandrel placed laterally in my vise to allow me to open them up slightly. Final assembly was exactly as illustrated.
Last edited by 45guy on Wed Sep 28, 2011 7:11 pm, edited 1 time in total.
45guy

Post by 45guy »

The proof is in the pudding, or so they say. This 5.56 stripper has not touched the mandrel, but has only had one of the UMC factory cases passed through.

45guy

Post by 45guy »

For those that thought my calipers are FUBAR... Remington UMC must not have gotten the memo about the .422 case head diameter...

45guy

Post by 45guy »

Hopefully this works, click photo for video:
Sarge756

Post by Sarge756 »

The video worked just fine but you forgot to smile for the camera.Good work on the clips and congrats on the new addition.
Joe
".......ain't many troubles that a man cain't fix
With seven hundred dollars and a thirty ought six."
duanew

Post by duanew »

So, how well did these stripper clips work for you?

I'd like to know.

Duane
45guy

Post by 45guy »

Well enough to load 5 rounds as the video shows.