Stock refinishing...

Talk about things other than the Model 8's and 81's
45guy

Stock refinishing...

Post by 45guy »

If anyone is in need, I will be more than happy to do so to order for the princely sum of free! I'm laid up for a bit, and I enjoy doing it. If anyone is interested, I can e-mail my "portfolio" pictures, and put you in touch with some of the guys from thehighroad.org whom I have done the same for.
"The sound of shot sweeping through the air toward you is impressive though. I'll give you that. It's like being swatted with the broom of God."
jack1653

Re: Stock refinishing...

Post by jack1653 »

Hey 45guy,

I have been following the dialogue with you and Mitch. Very interesting seris of events you have been experiencing.

I would like to discuss the refinishing with you. If you would email me at jack1653@att.net, I can share some of the things that I have been considering.

Regards,

jack1653
Behemotosh

Post by Behemotosh »

45Guy,

Great looking stock. My fleet of Model 8's and 81's have all been on horses that liked to roll with the saddle and rider. I have gotten the dings out of two, but the others will only be heirlooms. My stock guy, a master gunsmith, says one will require five pins in it before it will be done.

Like Jack, I read the previous posts and looked at the picture. I can only say you are very lucky.

Shoot Straight!
Behemotosh
Behemotosh

Post by Behemotosh »

Hey 45guy,

Where can I get a buttplate like the one shown in your "finished" stock picture. I have Model 81 in 300 Savage coming, serial number 14xxx, that has a steel buttplate and I would like to put a period correct, rubber buttplate on it.

So far, I can only find the graphite colored, modern buttplates. They might be better than the old ones, but I like the looks of the old red and black ones like the one in your pictures.

Shoot straight!
Behemotosh
45guy

Post by 45guy »

Let me dig around. I may still have the one I pulled off of my model 8 that is on its way home. Otherwise, I'll keep my eyes open and see what I can find.
"The sound of shot sweeping through the air toward you is impressive though. I'll give you that. It's like being swatted with the broom of God."