Would anyone be willing to take some measurements of a Model 8?

Talk about things other than the Model 8's and 81's
Hcompton79

Would anyone be willing to take some measurements of a Model 8?

Post by Hcompton79 »

Hi Gents,

I am wondering if one of you would be willing to help me out. I purchased a quite early (1904) FN made Browning Auto-5 shotgun as a restoration project. It has a straight wrist stock that needs to be replaced, as it itself looks to be a replacement made by a blind whittler.

Finding replacement stocks for this gun has been a challenge as the later Auto-5 stocks do not interchange and the straight wrists were discontinued in the 20s. However, I believe a Remington Model 8 stock may be a suitable alternative, and I have been looking at those made by Silverhill Gunstocks.

I want to confirm that the dimensions are similar, but I don't have a model 8 to measure. I do know the upper tang on my Model 81 is much shorter. Would one of you be willing to measure the upper and lower tang length of a model 8 (from where the woodline starts to the tip of the tang), as well as the distance from the top of the upper tang to the bottom of the lower tang (at the woodline)?

My shotgun has upper and lower tangs that both measure 3 1/2" long and the tang spacing is 1 9/16" where the receiver meets the wood.

Some photos of the shotgun in question:
IMG_0680.jpg
IMG_0680.jpg (110.79 KiB) Viewed 1147 times
IMG_0681.jpg
IMG_0681.jpg (71.03 KiB) Viewed 1147 times
IMG_0686.jpg
IMG_0686.jpg (108.22 KiB) Viewed 1147 times
Sarge756

Re: Would anyone be willing to take some measurements of a Model 8?

Post by Sarge756 »

Measured one of my early Model8`s with straight stock. Without using calipers and just a straight rule it was 3.5-3 9/16 for the upper and lower tang. Without removing the stock it appears to be 1 9/16 between the tangs. Again eyeballed with a straight ruler. With a Silverhills stock you should have some give and take as they come about 95% inletted with extra wood for final fitting. Have had good luck with their replacement stocks but bare in mind that the wood is straight grained walnut with not much figure. There are other vendors such as Macon Stocks that offer fancier grade wood for the Model 8. All depends on your pocket book. Another alternative may be to contact member here `remcrazy`. He used to make stocks for the Model 8`s . Don`t know if he still does but am certain he could give you the EXACT measurements. I have one of his stocks on one of mine. Very good work. Hope this helps.

Joe
".......ain't many troubles that a man cain't fix
With seven hundred dollars and a thirty ought six."
Hcompton79

Re: Would anyone be willing to take some measurements of a Model 8?

Post by Hcompton79 »

Perfect, much thanks Joe.

Regards, Hunter