Remington Model 8 Butt Stock Reproductions

Talk about things other than the Model 8's and 81's
remcrazy

Remington Model 8 Butt Stock Reproductions

Post by remcrazy »

I recently purchased a Remington Model 8 reproduction butt stock from "Gunstocks, Inc out of Bedford, Iowa. This was to be a semi-finished stock. The top & bottom grooves cut for the upper and lower tangs were so far out of alignment the stock would not come close to sliding on for fit/finish. I examined it to find the machining way off. One slot went one way, the other slot the other. It also had a nasty twist in the wrist in relationship to the butt, the butt was cut badly and needed an additional 3/16" + removed to eliminate the nasty oversawn marks making the stock short, and the bore for the return spring was crooked and shallow adding even more problems.

After contacting the company, they said ship it back and we'll take a look. We'll let you know what's up with it. I receive an email stating, we've determined it's OK, so we will have to charge you to restock it in our inventory and issue a refund of what's left. They attached two pictures (they claim were from the stock I sent back) and an explanation of how they had to rework the crap out of the stock to make it fit. The guy then says, your incompetant and there 's nothing wrong with the stock. It cost me $45 in fees to return a $65 stock that was junk! I am a retired master woodworker of over 45 years! Not the first stock I ever worked on! I would not recommend these folks for stock needs!
Last edited by remcrazy on Sun May 23, 2010 12:16 pm, edited 1 time in total.
jack1653

Re: Remington Model 8 Butt Stock Reproductions

Post by jack1653 »

Hey remcrazy,

I am sorry to hear about your problem with this company. They had been recommended to me from a man who had used them through the years and was very satisfied with their work and quality of walnut. So, when I need a special stock I contacted them and reviewed with Ed what I wanted. I have had just the opposite experience with them. I found him to be honest and very helpful. I ordered a model 8 old style pistol grip in semi-fancy walnut and it arrived as they said it would; 90% inletted with only some minor adjustment for final fitting. The stock went on the rifle with out any difficulty. Based on my experience, I have recommended them to others and I would use them again.

jack1653
clampdaddy

Post by clampdaddy »

Remcrazy, I had the exact same dispute with them over a crookedly inleted stock for an old shotgun. I told them it was crooked and I might be able to straighten them out but if it didn't work I'd be up a creek because they would then be considered "ruined by the customer", so I just wanted send them back for a simple exchange before anything like that happened. Same thing they told you, "send them in and we'll take care of it". I got the restocking charge treatment and the cold shoulder.
remcrazy

Post by remcrazy »

Hello Clampdaddy!

Sorry to hear you too had this same bad experience! What a shame these folks have to treat us like dirt! Well, they are just hurting themselves for a lot of future business.

I have since spent the summer in my woodshop building custom jigs and tooling to make forearm stocks for the Model 8's & 81's in "every" configuraton! The only thing I'm lacking is the ferrule embed nut for the forearm screws! Everything else is an exact duplication as humanly possible. Even the actual stocks made by/for Remington vary. I have found no two exactly alike in any configuration. Figures, as they were all hand fit/finished by many individuals. Therefor, it is impossible for me to make any two 100% alike, there are always variables. I have also been perfecting butt stocks for both models, again in every configuration. I am about to take pictures of the work to email several folks interested. I have already made 15 or so forearms and shipped as well as a complete stock set for Model 8 with round pistol grip and one complete stock set for standard Model 81 and new owner emailed back with much delight in them. They are approx. 98% finished with enough allowance for your final fit/finish.

I have also made up the forearm stocks for the Military Full Stock version, Trials Rifle & Police Special. They are milled and fit but, as yet, I have not done final form/shape on them. These are all made from walnut of course but, I can make from any wood someone may have a passion for, although only hardwoods please!

As I am retired, disabled, I don't do this for a living only out of passion for these fine old rifles. Therefor, I offer whatever I can to to community so they may also continue with their passion for them. Please understand, these take a lot of time to produce as very tedious but, also a labor of love!

If you may have interest, email me at: circlebranch@cox.net with an email address for pictures. I would be happy to oblige.

Thanks for your informative posting!
Remcrazy
imfuncity

Post by imfuncity »

Wish I could do work like this - just posting for RemCrazy a few of his very nice furniture work. Posted them as large as possible so you can see the details. Maximum of three pictures allowed but he has a ton more pictures with lots of details. Like he said, email him for info, specific pictures, etc.: circlebranch@cox.net
100_7890 5x3.jpg
100_7890 5x3.jpg (236.41 KiB) Viewed 10351 times
100_7892recend 3x25.jpg
100_7892recend 3x25.jpg (246.42 KiB) Viewed 10350 times
100_7904 4x15.jpg
100_7904 4x15.jpg (150.46 KiB) Viewed 10347 times
Though defensive violence will always be “a sad necessity” in the eyes of men of principle, it would be still more unfortunate if wrongdoers should dominate just men. - St. Augustine
clampdaddy

Post by clampdaddy »

Wow, that is beautiful work! It is clear to me that anyone who can make stocks as nice as yours would know enough to tell a crooked stock when he sees one. Once the winter weather drives me into the garage to work on my gun projects I would definitley like to get a schnabel tipped fore arm and a round knob stock for my 81. My rear stock is missing a big piece at the toe and it bothers the hell out of me. It's just to nice a gun to wear a busted stock. I always thought the FN guns looked like a sexy super model compared to my chubby 81 and your stocks would be the perfect way to dress up my Remy. What would a set like that in walnut cost?
remcrazy

Post by remcrazy »

Greetings Clampdaddy!
You can email me direct at: "circlebranch@cox.net". We can discuss your needs and costs. I am open to trades too! In fact, I would prefer to trade my work. Let me know!
Kindest regards,
Remcrazy
81police

Post by 81police »

I'd just like to attest to the quality of these reproduction stocks. I have a forearm from Remcrazy and it is a first class job. You're not going to find anything better made than these! Thanks Remcrazy.
Cam Woodall
Site Co-Administrator