Model 8 with Saddle Ring Carbine forend?

Talk about things other than the Model 8's and 81's
Katieboots29

Model 8 with Saddle Ring Carbine forend?

Post by Katieboots29 »

Hi,

The following link goes to a Model 8 previously sold but with an unusual, and quite attractive to my eye anyway, forend and so I was wondering if I might get the memberships guesstimate on what forend it happens to be!? I myself think it to be a modified Winchester 1895 Saddle Ring Carbine forend, modification said to have been performed by Springfield Armory for Army trials.
Regardless of the who what when or where I'd like to do this forend on my Model 8 and if the members think it is in fact from a 1895 src there are reproductions available to purchase.......minus the mods of course.
I'd appreciate any thoughts or information you may have on the subject.

Thanks,
Katelynne

https://www.gunsinternational.com/guns- ... =101425981
jack1653

Re: Model 8 with Saddle Ring Carbine forend?

Post by jack1653 »

Hey Katieboots29,

Welcome to the forum. You have come to the right place to get information about these Remington rifles.

I don’t know the story on the particular rifle you are inquiring about but can confirm from the pictures that were provided by the Guns International posting that the rifle is one of the Trials rifles that Remington made for the military. I think the information provided by the seller is accurate from what I can recall. The sights, forend and other modifications were made for the Trials Rifle and were only for the trials.

I have two of the original 25 rifles and mine look exactly like the one shown on the Guns International posting. If you are interested in getting a forend like the one on the Trials Rifle, let me suggest that you contact “circlebranch” who is a member of this forum. Bob is an excellent woodworker and could replicate the forend that you are seeking if he is still working. Bob made a very similar forend for my FSMR that I made from photos from the Remington museum. Bob’s email is circlebranch@cox.net.

If I can be of further assistance, please feel free to contact me.

Kindest Regards,

jack1653
canuck

Post by canuck »

The trials rifles look really sharp with that forearm.
Jack, being that you are in possession of two, can you comment on how it effects the balance of the rifle compared to original config?
Thanks
jack1653

Post by jack1653 »

Hey canuck,

Good to hear from you. From just a handling standpoint it is a little more heavy on the barrel end. I have never shot either of the rifles but based on the shooting of other model 8’s I think it would be an easier with the extra weight. For sure there would be less barrel rise and that is based on the difference in shooting an 81 compared to the 8. The forend on the 8 is definitely smaller and lighter than the forends on the 81 so it would stand to reason that the Trials Rifle forend would be heavier. This is not an analytical opinion but more of a common perception.

Regards,

jack1653
Katieboots29

Post by Katieboots29 »

jack 1653,

Thanks ever so much for the reply and the email of the gentleman who (hopefully still) does woodworking on these rifles......fingers crossed, I'll be sending him an email in just a bit.
Thanks so very much again,

Katelynne
Katieboots29

Post by Katieboots29 »

Emai sent to, Bob.......we shall see.