Standard Arms Model G

Talk about things other than the Model 8's and 81's
Hcompton79

Standard Arms Model G

Post by Hcompton79 »

I figured some of you, being fans of antiquated auto-loaders, might enjoy seeing a project I've been working on over the last few months.
Outing Magazine - 1910.jpg
Outing Magazine - 1910.jpg (223.18 KiB) Viewed 3490 times
Part 1: History

This is a Standard Arms Model G, the third American Auto-loader behind the Remington model 8 and Winchester Self Loader series of rifles.

The story of the Standard Arms Company is convoluted, complex and poorly documented. John Henwood's book has a short section on it, but it is not exhaustive. I've been combing through various primary source documents trying to piece together the history of this company and their rifles, and at some point I may put together a long form presentation on the subject, but today I have a rifle and a story.

This rifle is largely the work of inventor Morris F. Smith. Morris Smith was awarded several patents related to naval gunnery in the 1890s, but at some point he decided to work on designing a semi automatic shoulder rifle and was awarded four U.S. patents for such from 1906 to 1910. At some point, Smith met with a financier named William D. Condit, who is best known for facilitating the deal that brought together Elbert Searle and the Savage Arms Corporation for the production of the 1907 pistol. Condit agreed to arrange production of a rifle from Smith's patents in exchange for a 75% share in any royalties derived from it.

Seeing that Remington and Winchester already had self loading designs in development if not production, and perhaps not finding any other interest, Condit arranged a consortium of investors and incorporated the Standard Arms Company in 1907. The board of directors involved a unique assortment of people. Condit himself was there, as were a couple of members of the DuPont family and a prominent Philadelphia shipbuilder.

As with many arms companies, several prototypes were built and shown with the promise of getting a military arms contract. Although Standard would get an informal trial by Springfield Armory, and the rifle was given some praise, the military flat out rejected purchasing any examples, citing that the rifle was too complex to field strip, too slow to reload and unable to be chambered in .30-06.

The civilian market was somewhat better for Standard, their first civilian sporting rifle was the model H, first advertised in 1909. However, this was quickly revised to the Model G in 1910, which is the rifle we have today.

The Standard Arms model G is a semi automatic rifle using a long stroke gas piston and a tilting locking block on the bolt. The barrel is 22 3/8" long and were chambered in .25, .30 and .35 Remington. The rifle is fed by an integral 5 round magazine, which is loaded by opening the floorplate and dropping cartridges in the bottom. There is no provision for stripper clips or detachable magazines. The rifle is charged via the ornate bronze pump handle on the forend. The gas system can be turned off via a valve near the muzzle and the rifle operated as a pump. The rifle is also striker fired, adding to it's oddity. The standard grade rifle was $35.00 in 1910, but embellishment and accessories could push the cost to $100.

The Standard Arms Company also produced a manual only rifle with no gas system, the Model M, and a .50 caliber smooth bore manual gun for shot and ball called the "Camp Gun".

The Standard Arms Company would not ultimately be successful. The company had issues with mismanagement and labor disputes that lead to their first bankruptcy in 1912. The shareholders would reform into the Standard Arms Manufacturing Company, but lacking the building, tooling and workforce which had been sold in the bankruptcy, they were unable to do much other than assemble rifles from previously made parts. The company would again go bankrupt in 1914, and their assets would be sold to Bannerman's. Bannerman's sold the remaining rifles at least until 1916, and sold parts thereafter. The timeline gets a bit murky after this, but at some point the remaining parts were sold to Numrich, who retain them to this day. All told, Standard Arms produced about 2700 rifles.

There is also some question as to the marketability of the Standard Arms rifles. Remington and Winchester had proven that there was a market to be had for a semi-automatic sporting rifle. However, would a consumer in 1910 take a chance with the Standard, or order from an established firm like Remington or Winchester. The Standard at $35.00 also cost more than either a Remington model 8 or a Winchester 1907 and twice as much as a Winchester 94. There is also something to be said about a gas operated semiautomatic rifle that cannot be easily be disassembled for cleaning operating in an era where all ammunition was corrosive (quoting from the manual, the process for cleaning was to "dump oil liberally into the gas tube"). Perhaps this is where Standard got their reputation for unreliability from.

Standard Arms Model G Parts List .jpg.jpg
Standard Arms Model G Parts List .jpg.jpg (425.29 KiB) Viewed 3490 times
Hcompton79

Re: Standard Arms Model G

Post by Hcompton79 »

Part 2: My Example

I am an unabashed fan of weird guns, a habitual Forgotten Weapons viewer and an amateur gunsmith. Odd semi-autos tickle my fancy, and the first gun I purchased was a Remington Model 81 after I fell in love with the long recoil system. Eventually I also got a Winchester 1907, and thus had two representative examples of early American autoloaders.

I had tangentially been aware of the Standard and what they represented, but dismissed them as something outside of my reach due to their scarcity.

Then one day, a member here posted a Standard Arms model G for sale in the classifieds. The price was fair, it was chambered in .30 Remington and I immediately reached out to him and arranged the purchase.

The rifle wasn’t in the best of condition. The bore was pitted but shootable, but the receiver had been hammered on to fit the upper and lower, the bolt was stuck open and the gun couldn’t be broken down. I was able to get the gun apart, but found that there were several missing parts inside and the bolt was cracked.

Fortunately, Numrich has the remaining inventory of parts and I was able to get enough to endeavor on a several month restoration project.

I had to fit and install a new bolt body, gas piston and stiker along with a variety of small springs and pins. The receiver was straightened as it had been deformed by a hammer, and had to be welded at the rear so that the lower would fit properly. It was then annealed, and I refinished the gun by rust bluing it several times over.

I also had to play with the gas system. The Standard has a reputation for forceful ejection, and initial testing proved this was true in my case as well. The OEM gas system is not adjustable, and even light loads were deforming my expensive .30 Remington brass when they hit the ejector. Eventually, I made my own adjustable gas plug, with interchangeable orifices (much like a Schuster gas plug for an M1 Garand) which allowed me to tune the gas system for reliable but less energetic ejection.

Here’s my rifle after refinishing and repair:
IMG_0129 (800x600).jpg
IMG_0129 (800x600).jpg (444.44 KiB) Viewed 3489 times
IMG_0131 (800x600).jpg
IMG_0131 (800x600).jpg (344.08 KiB) Viewed 3489 times
IMG_0135 (800x600).jpg
IMG_0135 (800x600).jpg (239.25 KiB) Viewed 3489 times
Hcompton79

Post by Hcompton79 »

IMG_0137 (800x600).jpg
IMG_0137 (800x600).jpg (243.94 KiB) Viewed 3489 times
IMG_0141 (800x600).jpg
IMG_0141 (800x600).jpg (197.62 KiB) Viewed 3489 times
IMG_0143 (800x600).jpg
IMG_0143 (800x600).jpg (305.4 KiB) Viewed 3489 times
Hcompton79

Post by Hcompton79 »

IMG_0145 (800x600).jpg
IMG_0145 (800x600).jpg (329.84 KiB) Viewed 3489 times
IMG_0149 (800x600).jpg
IMG_0149 (800x600).jpg (417.72 KiB) Viewed 3489 times
IMG_0151 (800x600).jpg
IMG_0151 (800x600).jpg (341.42 KiB) Viewed 3489 times
Hcompton79

Post by Hcompton79 »

IMG_0153 (800x600).jpg
IMG_0153 (800x600).jpg (273.94 KiB) Viewed 3489 times
Also, a short video of me loading and firing this example, if you can stand me stuttering through my lines on camera:

https://youtu.be/LQbKkDKppLg
81police

Post by 81police »

Hcompton79 that was a fantastic write up on the Standard Arms Model G! I thoroughly enjoyed the history, restoration, and shooting of your personal gun. The recoil on that looks very mild! I didn't realize the loading was a bit complicated with the shooter having to ensure the cartridges were manually staggered...while the gun was upside down. :shock:

You did a great job on the restoration. The gun looks nice. I've always thought the Standard Arms G had very unique lines unlike anything at the time...or even today. And being gas operated unique aside the Remington Model 8. Thanks for taking the time to post all that for us! :mrgreen: :mrgreen:
Cam Woodall
Site Co-Administrator
Hibby83

Post by Hibby83 »

Great job getting it back into service!

I've always appreciated the design and look of them but never jumped on wanting one. There was 4-5 Model G's at a gunshop I went to in Minnesota "Boone's Fine Guns".

Thanks for the information and visuals in the post.