Stoopid Questions Get Stoopid Answers

Talk about things other than the Model 8's and 81's
Intellivore

Stoopid Questions Get Stoopid Answers

Post by Intellivore »

I generally fancy myself the kind of guy who comes up with good ideas, occasionally, even though there are no new ideas under the Sun.

Brass is hard to find in the wild for our beloved 35's, and I was wondering if anyone had experience converting 358 Win, or any other Mauser or Ought-Six family cartridges to the cause of feeding our girls?
Bandersnatch

Re: Stoopid Questions Get Stoopid Answers

Post by Bandersnatch »

I am the cat who walks by himself. And all places are alike to me.
Bandersnatch

Post by Bandersnatch »

Intellivore

Post by Intellivore »

Ive found some sources, too, Bandersnach, I was wondering if it would be possible to use 358 Win or '06 and Mauser range brass, for FAR less.
Intellivore

Post by Intellivore »

And thank you for the leads!
Bandersnatch

Post by Bandersnatch »

Not a problem. Just lending a helping hand to a fellow fan of the mighty 35.
Fred

Post by Fred »

Intellivore wrote: Sat Mar 27, 2021 2:58 pmBrass is hard to find in the wild for our beloved 35's, and I was wondering if anyone had experience converting ... other... cartridges.
Here's "GRUMPA's" method: https://castboolits.gunloads.com/showth ... one-my-way

GRUMPA's the only person I've ever seen offer converted brass "commercially" and apparently he was a memeber here, but he's since passed. Either way, you either need considerable time/tools or a great need to go to the lengths.

That said, I believe .35Rem brass is available, at least if you're willing to pay today's going rate ($$$). At least you should get many reloads on any cases you might already have, if you're keeping the pressures reasonable and the sizing to the minimum required.

*edit* added link.
Intellivore

Post by Intellivore »

Whelp... drat.
Sarge756

Post by Sarge756 »

GRUMPA had it figured out. I bought a hundred pieces of the converted 308 from him few years back. It was everything he claimed . Have reloaded half of them several times and no problems. Will anneal them prior to the next reload. He was an interesting fella. Thought if I ever got out his way that i`d love to pay him a visit and just see how he did things.He lived off the grid other than computer and the web sites he was on powered by generator and solar. Miles into the Arizona desert and when you made an order would tell you that he only made it to town once a week or two to ship. Sadly he left us too soon. Sorry that I didn`t get a chance to make that visit.
Joe
".......ain't many troubles that a man cain't fix
With seven hundred dollars and a thirty ought six."
Intellivore

Post by Intellivore »

The old, clever, and wise always leave us too soon.
Hibby83

Post by Hibby83 »

If at all possible using the designated cartridge brass is best. I'm not against the practice of repurposing x caliber to be resized to the one you desire. That comes with more reloading gear and a chance of one using converted brass in a rifle it shouldn't be used in.

Look forward to hearing how it goes, whichever route you take.
Intellivore

Post by Intellivore »

It was more of a thought experiment, which, if someone had previous success with BASIC, to me, equipment, I would have considered taking the path.

Ive resized 270 Win to 30-06, 30-06 to 7 and 7.92x57, then to 7.62x51, then down to .45ACp, and a handful of other basic resize and trim jobs. Nothing requiring a lathe to make it work, mainly because I dont have a lathe or the ability to use it. To some it is basic equipment, to me, its rocket surgery.

Yeah, it smells of 'lookin for the easy way out', but in truth it was more to maybe, possibly, hopefully, perchance with a dream, reclaim some brass that would otherwise have gone to the scrap pile.