Nice looking .35 Model 8 on GB. 1 day left, @ $800 now

Talk about things other than the Model 8's and 81's
Trepang

Nice looking .35 Model 8 on GB. 1 day left, @ $800 now

Post by Trepang »

Just happened to be browsing and came across a nice looking .35 cal Model 8 with checkering on stock and fore grip - I still think it's a 8A - Standard though.

Looks to be a 1925 model

Doesn't look like a dealer selling it. About one day left and it's still under $1K

I have no ties nor do I know the seller - just passing info along (taking all my self control not to bid on it myself)

https://www.gunbroker.com/item/886711644
Attachments
Screen Shot 2020-12-17 at 6.33.38 PM.png
Screen Shot 2020-12-17 at 6.33.38 PM.png (437.7 KiB) Viewed 7003 times
Trepang

Re: Nice looking .35 Model 8 on GB. 1 day left, @ $800 now

Post by Trepang »

Sold for $1550.00 last night
Attachments
3A87C22C-DDD9-4001-B0BC-6C6E51AA8071.jpg
3A87C22C-DDD9-4001-B0BC-6C6E51AA8071.jpg (36.6 KiB) Viewed 6971 times
Hibby83

Post by Hibby83 »

Someone really wanted that one. I hope the buyer knows that wasn't factory checkered.
81police

Post by 81police »

just WOW on that sell price!
Cam Woodall
Site Co-Administrator
MinnesotaDan

Post by MinnesotaDan »

That does seem to be a bit high for an aftermarket, non factory checkering rifle. WOW is right.
Fred

Post by Fred »

Maybe I can ring up the buyer and tell them I've got some primers for sale. Seems they have plenty of money on hand.
Hibby83

Post by Hibby83 »

Fred wrote: Mon Dec 21, 2020 1:34 pm Maybe I can ring up the buyer and tell them I've got some primers for sale. Seems they have plenty of money on hand.
:D :D
Rifleman

Post by Rifleman »

Double/triple WOW!!!!! I watch 8 and 81's for sale on GB and Guns International. Put alot of them on a watch list to see how they sell and what for. Bid on a few once in a while. Would like a nice one in 35 Remington one of these days for "just cause". Anyway I've noticed as many of you probably have the prices for just the standard model of both the 8/81 have really gone up in the last couple of months. What used to sell for $700 started hitting around $800-850, jumped to a $900 figure maybe back in Nov and now in Dec the same models and conditions are selling for $1000-1300 sometimes plus. Some of the sellers are starting the bids at $900-1000 plus! That's a WOW!

Same thing is going on with Savage 99's. Over on the 24 Hour Campfire/Savage Collectors, the members there also are scratching heads trying to figure it out. Prices for post WW2 99's are going crazy, way over what has been the normal selling price. Some of the pre WW2 models are getting out of sight. Don't know if it has any fears about Biden 'maybe' getting in, the mandatory state tax collection law taking effect Jan 1 on out of state sales, and/or some getting in not really knowing the real story. Whatever, if the value goes back down as it sometimes does, those high priced rifles will take some years for buyers to recoup any investment.

I recall the time before the 2016 election, AR15's were tight to get and selling way over value. I know of some guys who paid upwards of 50% increase in retail, only to have the retail/sale value stabilize back after the Nov 2016 election when fear of a anti-gun POTUS was a possibility. I don't understand a 8/81 or a 99 being on the antigunners radar, but stranger things have happened. The Model 8 in this thread was in nice shape, but wondered right away if it was restocked or someone just redid the original. The curtains and the carpet don't match. Metal and wood condition are out of sync also as far as the condition of each. The checkering wasn't bad, but noticeably not factory or super professional. Someone did do a pretty good job, but it's not factory/original. Anyway---hope prices go back to what they were early fall. I've bid on a few (not for a while) and quit when they started hitting the$800-850 and kept going up range.
Trepang

Post by Trepang »

For my own edification, how did you guys know it wasn't factory checkering? By the pattern? I am new to 8/81's and trying to learn.
MinnesotaDan

Post by MinnesotaDan »

On the homepage of this website, click on "The grades of the Model 8 and 81" and you will be able to see what factory checkering of a B grade 81 would look like. Lots of good photos to see the subtle differences, (and not so subtle).
Trepang

Post by Trepang »

Thank you.
Trepang

Post by Trepang »

Based on what I have learned from ya'll, am I correct in saying this is also not original Remington checkering on this 81?

https://www.gunbroker.com/item/887810735
Attachments
Screen Shot 2020-12-22 at 8.01.48 PM.png
Screen Shot 2020-12-22 at 8.01.48 PM.png (530.98 KiB) Viewed 6876 times
Rifleman

Post by Rifleman »

MinnesotaDan wrote: Tue Dec 22, 2020 11:13 am On the homepage of this website, click on "The grades of the Model 8 and 81" and you will be able to see what factory checkering of a B grade 81 would look like. Lots of good photos to see the subtle differences, (and not so subtle).
Amen to MinnesotaDan's post. Also check any books with 8/81 pictures of the higher grade of these models checkering. Besides comparing the style and patterns of checkering the factory made available, look at the pictures of the checkering and look at the detail. Unless the person is really good or a professional, you can see overruns on borders or lines that don't complete themselves. Also in areas where lines come together, watch to see how the person brought a number of lines together. Is everything symmetrical and even or are there areas where the guy had a problem getting things even. In the Model 8 posted at the start of the thread, there are border overruns or non completions, also on the bottom of the forearm there are areas as I mentioned where alot of lines are supposed to meet evenly, but some are forced or incomplete. Sort of like trying to place more items in a box that won't hold them all. You'd never see checkering like that especially on upper grades of 8/81's or really any firearm back in the day.

Whoever did the checkering did a pretty good job, although it isn't up to top factory output or by a 'really top' craftsman. The Model 81 the seller has in your second GB listing Trepang, the "Deluxe Remington Model 81" isn't factory. I've never heard of the term "Deluxe" used by Remington. Maybe I just haven't been around the 8/81's enough, but that is a new one on me. Henwood never refers to the term. Some online sellers either at times aren't really informed and/or they're trying to 'jib up' their offerings. Again that style of checkering I've never seen on a 8 or 81 and if you'd take a look at it in detail, you can see the overruns and slight hiccups here and there. Again someone did a pretty good job, but it isn't at the professional level.

I'm not trying to be to critical. Checkering is an art and takes alot of patience and skill. Back in the late 70's, I became interested in checkering. Bought a pretty good set of tools, several top books on it and gave it a try. I practiced alot on a number of pieces of walnut and recut a number of precut checkered firearms that needed their checkering sharpened some. Never did do a firearm from scratch. Things in life and work got in the way and lost interest. Still have the tools and such, just use them once in a while to sharpen things up, but it's a rare occurrence. Not seeing a firearm in person is one of the hazards of online buying, besides knowledge of a firearm, you need to depend on the sellers honesty and quality of pictures.

IMO neither of the two Remington's are factory checkered, but as in many of the firearms produced back before the day when firearms lost alot of normal quality and mass production started and cuts were done to lessen cost, you can say "Never Say Never"! Can be said of early Savage 99's, German K98k Mausers, and others that in about the time you think you have them sort of figured out, a curve ball will come along and mess everything up you think you've understood about a model. Case in point are a whole list of firearms that when 'back in the day' a person could order special this and that on a certain model that is unique to the brand/model. IMO also the 8 sold for to much and the 81 still has no bids, the seller is starting to high.