Remington's Models 14 and 141

Talk about things other than the Model 8's and 81's
Rifleman

Remington's Models 14 and 141

Post by Rifleman »

They "ain't" 8's or 81's, but have any of you had any experience with Remington's Models 14 and 141? Remington's early pump versions are cousin's of the 8 and 81, firing the same calibers, being manufactured during the 8 and 81 hey-days before both models were dropped for the 740 auto and 760 pump. Have never seen either a 14 or 141, but have read some about them. See they are being sold on sites such as Guns International and GunBroker and others. Might be an interesting rifle to have to shoot along with my 81 300 Savages, but would go for it in 35 Remington as brass is more available and I do want to get a 8/81 in 35 Rem sometime (the later 141 wasn't offered in 300 Savage as the 81 was). Just curious if any of ya have had any experience with either the 14 or 141. Most of what I've read on them has been pretty positive. Like the 8 and 81, they are from a bygone era with alot of history, appeal, nostalgia, and when firearms were made of wood and steel-no plastics, aluminum, pot metal, etc.
Bandersnatch

Re: Remington's Models 14 and 141

Post by Bandersnatch »

I have a 14 in 25 Rem. Something I learned early on is use only round nosed bullets. Anything else will hang up inside the feed system and you have to disassemble the gun to clear it.
I am the cat who walks by himself. And all places are alike to me.
Rifleman

Post by Rifleman »

Read that due to the 14/141 magazine construction that spire pointed bullets could be used without fear of recoil ignited primers, but that the majority of shooters of those two guns fired RN ammo for the most part. Would not mind having one in 25 Remington for the type of shooting I do with my 81's and Savage 99 (300 Sav), mostly target, can't use for deer hunting in my state. Have a couple of 99's in 250/3000 that are a joy to shoot, take the scoped one out for coyote once in a while. Wouldn't turn down a good condition 8 or 14 in 25 Rem if I could get a good supply of brass. Bullets is of no concern as I could always cast what I need. Of course the reason its hard to get them is scarcity, shooters hang on to them if they have, and the dollar figure is always more than other calibers. Be an interesting rifle to have IMO.
Mikeshoe72

Post by Mikeshoe72 »

I’ve got two 141’s. One in 32, one in 35. Love them dearly. Very accurate. As the owner of an 8 and 81 also, both in 30 Rem, id say the pumps are more accurate. If you don’t reload, the 35 Rem is the way to go. I owned an 81 in 35 and can personally state that the pump rifles recoil less. The 35 Rem 141 is soft on the shoulder, the 81 was stout. I’m assuming because of the mass of the recoiling barrel and bolt. Like the 8’s and 81’s, prices of the 14’s and 141’s are climbing. Seems like any decent one is $600 and up. Way up! And the 14’s and 141’s can be made to accept scopes easier. My 35 has a vintage side Mount Pachmayr swing away mount with a period 4x J Unertl Hawk scope . Groups in the 1-1/2” range at 100 yards are routine. I hate to admit, don’t know which I like better, the 8 and 81’s or 14’s and 141’s! That’s why I have both!
Hibby83

Post by Hibby83 »

I’ve been keeping a keen eye out for the right model 14.

The carbines are cool, they carry a premium though. I think I’m leaning towards a standard one chambered in 32, I wouldn’t be picky though if it’s any other caliber though.

I did some reading awhile back and can’t remember what timeframe of manufacture was more desirable as far as replacement parts. If memory serves me right the 14 had a few variations with the bolt (?).
kenhwind

Post by kenhwind »

We have a Model 14 in .32 Remington.
We had been looking and maybe considering getting one, as most of us here, we have several Model 8s and an 81, but have had a couple of other 81 Remington's.
Ours was posted on my gun club's web site so it was no big deal to meet there to have a look see. My brother shot it a couple of times but we haven't really shot it.
Didn't do much shooting this year, the Club range was open, but first COVID, then too hot, then too wet (FL), now its a bit too cold and damp.
KEN
Rifleman

Post by Rifleman »

Well, I've been looking at a few 14's and 114's on GB and GI. Did bid, make offers on several, but as with 8/81's, Savage 99's, and a multitude of firearms in the last few months, sellers are IMO asking to much for starting prices and buyers (most with only a few buys to their credit) are bidding them up to high. I won't get in that parade of paying over worth, just to see the prices fall later on. Always have to be on the watch for 'Shill' bidders also.

Some of the more moderate priced ones have issues, a few I didn't bid on as when asking the sellers a question/questions they wouldn't reply. Indication to me that the rifle has issues they don't want to divulge. Won't bid on any of those 'secret' rifles. Would prefer a 14 over a 114 as I like the forearm better. Would also prefer and want one in 35 Remington as brass is more available in normal times. Presently I checked on 6-7 major online outfits (such as Midway) and 35 Rem brass is all out of stock, no idea when available.

I won't buy factory ammo, the price there even in normal times takes the fun out of shooting. Saw some GB asking bids and sale prices and it was up to $3-4 a round (box of 20 $60-$80-pure lunacy). Presently ya might as well be throwing gold bricks downrange (if ya can find any factory ammo-most of what I see is scalper prices). I cast bullets and reload, so that is how whenever I do get either a 14/114 (or even a 8/81) in 35 Remington, how and what I'll be firing it. When firearm and component value/prices go back down/stabilize, then I'll get serious about buying, not going to invest in a rifle that I may never see the purchase value return. If they don't, well, it will be something I wish I had, can live without any 35 Rem rifle in any model, have enough others to keep me shooting.
Mikeshoe72

Post by Mikeshoe72 »

I’ve been watching GB too lately. I’ve been itching for a 14/141 in .30 Rem. There was a nice 14 in 25 recently, but didn’t want invest in getting another caliber loaded. I already reload for 20 other calibers! Due to budgetary constraints, I usually look for shooter grade rifles. As long as they have a good bore and are all original, I don’t mind buying one that has not too much blueing left. I appreciate the honest wear. Just don’t like hacked on butt pads and missing parts. Carbines get stupid on price quickly. I bid on one this week up $680. Then comes last few hours of the auction and it went over $1500! 8’s and 81’s are getting out of sight too.
Rifleman

Post by Rifleman »

Mikeshoe72 wrote: Sat Jan 23, 2021 8:47 pm I’ve been watching GB too lately. I’ve been itching for a 14/141 in .30 Rem. There was a nice 14 in 25 recently, but didn’t want invest in getting another caliber loaded. I already reload for 20 other calibers! Due to budgetary constraints, I usually look for shooter grade rifles. As long as they have a good bore and are all original, I don’t mind buying one that has not too much blueing left. I appreciate the honest wear. Just don’t like hacked on butt pads and missing parts. Carbines get stupid on price quickly. I bid on one this week up $680. Then comes last few hours of the auction and it went over $1500! 8’s and 81’s are getting out of sight too.
Hear ya and with ya on "good bore and are all original"/"honest wear". I hesitate to get into another caliber, as you I already reload for alot of calibers 8 handgun, 8 rifle. Cast bullets for all except .223/5.56 mm loadings, also cast bullets/balls for percussion/conversion revolvers, muzzleloader rifle. I rarely buy ammo for any of the centerfire's except maybe 223/5.56mm once in a while. Getting into another caliber is usually a pricey endeavor buying everything from dies, case prep items, bullet mold, etc. Always say I'm done with new calibers, but said that probably 6-8 calibers ago. Would like a Rem 14 in 35 Rem and or a 8/81 in 35. When I have bid on any, I usually quit at the $750-800 area, that's when as happens alot, things get crazy with bidding wars.

There are some nice 14/114 and 8/81 rifles that show up on GB and GI, but even some of the shooter grade rifles have gotten 'out of sight' price wise. "Honest wear" doesn't bother me, but see too many that claim to have been shot little, but show different things that indicate otherwise. Some sellers claim that the finish is all original, but when normal wear areas don't show any normal metal-metal wear and/or bluing wear and/or the stock looks to nice for a 60-80 year old gun with nicks and dents, always a red flag. I've heard that a few will 'Cold Blue' the dickens out of the metal and wax the wood to 'pretty em up' and claim all is original wanting over priced value. Problem is, some bidders/buyers will buy at that price and/or bid the gun to over value.Ya the original finish is still there but hidden some. I know of a guy that will buy old beater's cold blue the dickens out of it, pretty up the stock/grips, and sell em high at gun shows, claiming they are original. Unsuspecting and unknowledgeable buyers buy em.

Saw a 81 not long ago that was suppose to be almost NIB, fired little. Looked nice, but close exam of the pictures showed a few tell tale signs, plus the front sight appeared to be have been hammered by someone wanting to adjust windage. The takedown screws were also buggered pretty good for a rifle that spent a high 90% of its time sitting collecting dust. Asked the seller about this and all I got back was that it was grease and dirt. ???

Watched a 14/114 on GB a while back that the seller said had been used by the previous owner since the 30's, shot alot, bore good, well cared for. Listed as mint, one of a kind, all original. Well the spiral magazine tube looked like it had just come out of the bluing tank at Remington Arms, all the 14/114's I see have wear in the mag tube area from use, no matter how much. In my state and area, many of the 'old timers' such as the 14/114's, 8/81's, and Savage 99's are few and far between. If I could buy by sight, I would and not even mess with the online outfits, but when that's the only way to get em, its either bid or go without. Right now with all the insane over pricing/value $$$, I'll go without. I've gotten to long and wordy as I usually do, take care all.