Everyone out to pasture?

Talk about things other than the Model 8's and 81's
Rifleman

Everyone out to pasture?

Post by Rifleman »

WOW, this forum is next to dead anymore. I haven't been a member that long, but when I did join there was some information and sharing of posts and idea's. Anymore there is just the occasional post about a new 8/81, a technical question that may go unanswered or when it does 3-7 days after posting there is only one post and sometimes that doesn't answer the question. I see new members from time to time joining on the 'Welcome Wagon', bet they're checking everyday for new informative posts that never appear, probably get discouraged about the lack of posts on here. I used to check this forum several times a day, now I've gotten so discouraged it's not even on my early morning trip around cyber-space. I'll finally think, wonder if anything new and 'nope' same old posts that are anywhere from 2 months to two weeks, or whatever the count. Bet those new members do nothing here but look back in the archives, about all there is to do, eventually get discouraged and figger 'thats a dead place'!

I can't figure it out when someone does ask a legitimate question about a 8/81 or is having a problem, no answer will be posted and when it does it will be some time before some of the knowledgeable members post, if at all. I recall my problems I was having with my first 81, a 300 savage. Having ejection problems up the wazoo. Asked and did receive alot of interesting and probable causes and possible fix's. When I did rectify the problem and asked some other questions later on about my fix and what I believed to have caused my problems, no one seem interested any more. I started keeping record of how many views the post had each day without a response. Kept that up for I think around three months, then gave up. Figured no one gave a crap or figured they'd leave it up to someone else. Figured maybe there was a fix in, but soon realized that was happening to other members questions also.

Going back in the archives, there use to be more spontaneous response here and ALOT more activity. I'm not so arrogant to believe that my posts are special and need attention from every long time shooter and gun tinkerer here, but come on guys, if I know the answer to some guys question, I like to help if possible. I knew next to squat about the 8/81 rifles and their workings when I bought my first and joined. Bought my first out of love and admiration of the rifle having viewed them in hunting and gun magazines since my early years. This forum helped me with knowledge at warp speed in a few years and I'd like to see it continue for current and new members.

I don't know if all the past knowledgeable members quit, sold their 8/81's, passed away, lost interest, or just don't care any more, but this forum will die if it continues on its current trend. I'm active on other forums, some more than others, but this one is like going to a funeral where ya don't know anyone, not even the guy in the casket. Hope this forum gets more active and survives. About the only one where the 8/81 rifles are discussed with any love of them. OK, probably be a meeting in the dark of night to get rid of me, advise Cam "Get rid of that guy, he's a trouble maker", well guess getting blackballed on a forum that's inactive and dying a slow death won't matter if no information ever is posted and ideas shared.

Not hammering on anyone one personally or nothing personal to anyone, forgive me if I'm out of line in anyone's view, but hate to see this forum die a slow death by nonuse. Stay safe everyone. Rifleman
81police

Re: Everyone out to pasture?

Post by 81police »

Rifleman wrote: Thu Oct 15, 2020 9:46 pm OK, probably be a meeting in the dark of night to get rid of me, advise Cam "Get rid of that guy, he's a trouble maker",
haha Rifleman no worries that's not going to happen! I appreciate your post and sympathize with many of your statements. I've moderated this website as a whole for 10 years and have enjoyed writing the many articles you can find on the website proper as well as participate in the forums. TheGreatModel8 has always had ups and downs of participation. Years ago this forum was on fire; lots of active members, collectors, and daily input. As you indicated, yes some members have died, lost interest in the 8/81, etc. I see unanswered posts and sometimes let them be as I don't always want to be "that know-it-all-guy (which I'm not!)" that answers every post. I like to give opportunity to others, if they're following, to give their valuable input.

Bottom line however, this website is a VERY niche site. How many websites out there are solely dedicated to relatively obscure, long out of production firearms? Ones that continue to research and publish free articles for others to know all they can without having to pay money, buy a book, etc. NOT MANY! The amount of info I've made freely available here is off the charts. But yes, sometimes it feels a bit lonely in here. I'm OK with that. And I'm always open to suggestions on how to bolster active membership.

I'm not going anywhere though, and will continue to be the lonely mortician when it feels like a morgue!
Cam Woodall
Site Co-Administrator
ranman

Post by ranman »

Life gets in the way a lot but this is still a great forum . Lots of great information here but very few have 8s and even fewer FNs. Maybe not enough of the new generation using these old springpoles.
Hibby83

Post by Hibby83 »

I've been quiet on here for a bit but have been checking in.

I always look forward to seeing new posts!

My time spent with the old springpoles this year has been a bit limited. Hoping to make some more time this fall/winter to tailor some loads for a few.
jack1653

Post by jack1653 »

It is hard to remember the objective of draining the swamp when you are up to your butt in alligators!!

Regards,

jack1653
Phyrbird

Post by Phyrbird »

Yea verily; we are here. Some are older, less active, BUT don't count us out. We will pass on to the nest Gen our legacy.
Phyrbird
SOKY
Fred

Post by Fred »

When I got my .35Rem M81 (circa 2014) it was $400. Seems that the collectors have driven up the prices some. On Gbroker, the least expensive M8/M81 is $700, plus S&H and FFL. None of them are chambered in anything particularly popular and lately there's a bit of an ammo/component shortage, some people may be staying home and some ranges may be closed because of the China Plague, so one might expect a reduction in participation in the forum.

I hang around and would answer questions if I thought I could. I made a few Red Dot sight mounts for some members over the last few months and have some off-and-on improvement projects on my M81 that I'll share with the forum sometime.
Hardrada55

Post by Hardrada55 »

I really like this forum. I check it almost every day.
...the right of citizens to bear arms is just one more guarantee against arbitrary government, one more safeguard against the tyranny which now appears remote in America..."
- Hubert H. Humphrey, "Gun" magazine, Feb. '60
Rifleman

Post by Rifleman »

81police wrote: Fri Oct 16, 2020 7:24 am
Rifleman wrote: Thu Oct 15, 2020 9:46 pm OK, probably be a meeting in the dark of night to get rid of me, advise Cam "Get rid of that guy, he's a trouble maker",
haha Rifleman no worries that's not going to happen!

Bottom line however, this website is a VERY niche site. How many websites out there are solely dedicated to relatively obscure, long out of production firearms? Ones that continue to research and publish free articles for others to know all they can without having to pay money, buy a book, etc. NOT MANY!
Wallll, thank you Police 81/Cam---I thought after posting of going back and deleting my post, thought it might be to sensitive. I know Cam you and no one in particular is responsible for lack of new posts and information--we all can wear that hat, but as was posted everyone gets busy with life, the Chinese Flu has taken a toll on everything including shooting events and of course the nation wide shortage of ammo and components. I think from what I've seen and heard that handgun ammo and rifle ammo such as .223/5.56 has taken the biggest shortage hits. In my area, the shelves at stores of rifle ammo past 24/25 caliber isn't to bad. Of course if the ammo companies are in a tizzy producing handgun and AR type ammo, they're not going to produce much of the other calibers. JMO and thought.

I look forward to new posts everyday and as Cam penned, where can you find as much information and love of thee Ol' Springpoles better know as 8's and 81's. Hope more can be posted in days ahead-sometimes I have hesitated in posting a thought or question reference my 81's and the 300 Savage ammo I reload and think, "Ah, that sounds like a dumb question or others will think doesn't he know that!" I'll try to swallow my pride and shyness and post them in the future. I do love this forum, it has helped me immensely in my knowledge of the Remington 8 and 81 and look forward to the days ahead, reading about the rifles'

I do watch 8/81's alot on GunBroker and Guns International every week. When I see one that interests me or am curious what the final sale price/bid will be I put it on my watch list and watch until sold. Of course on GI ya never know what the actual sale price is due to the fact ya can offer the seller a lower price and if taken, ya never know what it was. Seems that in the last 3-4 months 8's and 81's (mostly 300 Caliber, but some 30 and 32's also) have been selling a bit less than $800, some up to $850. Of course the engraved ones and anything in esp 25 caliber go for more. This compares to the $550-575 price tags I paid for my two 81's in 300 Savage's around 2 1/2 years ago.
Wildgoose

Post by Wildgoose »

Hey Rifleman,
Not really out to pasture but just wondering around. I was an active poster here back when I first got into shooting and collecting Model 8/81 rifles. Alas as time went on I got drawn off with other gun projects and shooting venues and haven't been doing much with these fantastic old rifles. I just check in form time to time to see if anything is going on but like you have noticed its not much at this time.
I noted that you are a fan of the 300 Savage, so am I. I have two Remington rifles in this caliber, a Model 81 and Model 722. Both have taken many deer for our family over the years.
Reading your post makes me think a range day for the spring poles may be in order. ;)
Rifleman

Post by Rifleman »

Howdy Wildgoose! Nice lookin pair of 300 Savages. Like your deer hunt picture. In my state (Iowa) its a muzzle loader, shotgun, bow deer hunt state. A few years ago they opened it up to large bore straight wall handgun cartridges only that can be used either with handgun or rifle. A few straight wall rifle rounds such as 45/70 and a few others are permitted. The last few years I've hunted with a Marlin 94 44 Magnum, it'll knock em down. I'd love to 'LOVE TO' be able to take either of my 81's in 300 Savage out for deer hunting. So far all they've put down are water filled milk jugs, rabbit sized tin cans, far off odds and ends at a old sand quarry, and put holes in paper. A real shame!

Also have a couple of 'should be hunting deer with them' Savage 99's, one 250 and the other 300 Savage. They've only scored on the same as my 81's. I have taken the scoped 250 Savage 99 out coyote hunting vs my Ruger bolt gun some, but yet had a chance to drill one with it.

I really like the 300 Savage caliber. Reload everything I shoot (250 Savage also), yet to buy a box of factory fodder for either. If I bought factory for everything I shoot, I wouldn't have the guns I have. Way to pricey and I love to shoot rather than buying a box of 20 or two once a year. Many say the 300 Savage with its short neck is hard and difficult to reload. Might be ifin I was new at it, but have been workin my ol RCBS press since Feb of 1976. Yep ya gotta be careful with bullet selection so as the COL will fit in a 99 or 81 magazine and the bullet willnot go excessively to far into the brass. I've loaded nothing but 150 grain jacketed RN's and Soft Pts and have no problem. Yet to try any 180 grainers. If I could hunt big game with them I'd check em out, but for my shootin needs not needed.

I also have been castin bullets since 1979. Several years ago I bought several Lee molds, a 150 g FN and a 160 grain RN. Both work well for taking down my predescribed targets. Most of the time 'one shot, one kill'! They're accurate, cheaper than jacketed, and I can shoot fifty of them vs half the number of jacketed reloads and not feel as if someone hit my right shoulder with a lead pipe.

You guys with 81's that can hunt in your state are fortunate. As a kid sitting in the barber shop I used to see ads and articles, look at pictures and drawings of hunters wearing Woolrich/Filson style red and black coats, pants tucked in tall tie boots, all either on the hunt or aiming at a some big game, or standing by a hunting lodge with others with deer hanging from poles. The hunters always had a Rem 8/81 or Savage 99 in hand. Always drooled over those pictures. Even though I can't hunt deer in my state, I still can take my 81's or 99's out and fantasize, every time I nail one of those water filled jugs at 50-100 yards---that's a nice 8-12 point buck in my imagination. I love and appreciate the guns from yesterday, more design and works of art IMO than most of what's being offered today. OK, I've rambled to long. Good huntin this year to all who can take the Ol Remingtons afield.
81police

Post by 81police »

To keep this thread going with some more 300 Savage love...here's a hunt I posted years back using my preferred 81 hunting rifle.

viewtopic.php?f=11&t=3726&sid=02f7a846b ... 1f4a720780
Cam Woodall
Site Co-Administrator
kenhwind

Post by kenhwind »

I check in periodically to check on current posts. This isn't the only forum that is slow I think that once you're caught up on all of the threads and comments its not too hard to keep up to date.

My brother and I have a Model 8 C .35 that was Dad's so we grew up with one of these rifles. We went to a gun show about 10 years ago and came home with an 81 in .300 Savage, then another.300, an 81 in .35, an 8 in .25, .30 and another .30.
KEN
Rifleman

Post by Rifleman »

kenhwind wrote: Tue Oct 20, 2020 10:54 am My brother and I have a Model 8 C .35 that was Dad's so we grew up with one of these rifles. We went to a gun show about 10 years ago and came home with an 81 in .300 Savage, then another.300, an 81 in .35, an 8 in .25, .30 and another .30.
Nice collection 'kenhwind'! I grew up with nothing but a H&R single shot 16 gu shotgun and a bolt action 22LR., both my Dad's, but I took em over around age 15 and still have em today. My Dad wasn't a hunter. Can only recall him and I going out twice. The guns were kept around for mostly varmint control. Dad always said he saw enough gunfire in WW2. Noticed on GunBroker that there is a nice selection of 81's for sale, some a little on the high side for starting bids, but most seem to be in nice shape. Some have recoil pads on them, don't think any had holes drilled in right side for scope mounting. Guns International has a number, some a bit on the high side, but can make offers to the seller there, not a auction site like GB.
81 Police --The thread you posted looks interesting, have to read later on-have a errand to take care of. :D
Wildgoose

Post by Wildgoose »

Rifleman wrote: Tue Oct 20, 2020 7:06 am I really like the 300 Savage caliber. Reload everything I shoot (250 Savage also), yet to buy a box of factory fodder for either. If I bought factory for everything I shoot, I wouldn't have the guns I have. Way to pricey and I love to shoot rather than buying a box of 20 or two once a year. Many say the 300 Savage with its short neck is hard and difficult to reload. Might be ifin I was new at it, but have been workin my ol RCBS press since Feb of 1976. Yep ya gotta be careful with bullet selection so as the COL will fit in a 99 or 81 magazine and the bullet willnot go excessively to far into the brass. I've loaded nothing but 150 grain jacketed RN's and Soft Pts and have no problem. Yet to try any 180 grainers. If I could hunt big game with them I'd check em out, but for my shootin needs not needed.

I also have been castin bullets since 1979. Several years ago I bought several Lee molds, a 150 g FN and a 160 grain RN. Both work well for taking down my predescribed targets. Most of the time 'one shot, one kill'! They're accurate, cheaper than jacketed, and I can shoot fifty of them vs half the number of jacketed reloads and not feel as if someone hit my right shoulder with a lead pipe.
You and I have a lot in common. I load for all of my guns as well, started back in 1970 and most of my guns have never seen a factory load. I am just over the river from you in Nebraska and have been able to deer hunt with all of my vintage rifles at one time or another. The 300 Savage is a bit tricky to load for but like you I figured it out with out too much trouble. I do a lot of casting too but so far haven't worked up a cast bullet load for the Model 8/81 rifles. Not even sure I have a 30 cal mould that would work. Might have to look into that this winter.
MinnesotaDan

Post by MinnesotaDan »

I use a Lee 180 RN bullet mold. Gas checked, the bullet comes in at 173 grs. Go figure. Over 27 gr. of 3031 in a 300 Savage case, it is accurate and reliably cycles the action of an 81. I have not had any problems with this load, so if you blow up your rifle,well, it is not my fault. This is not a max load.

The cases are warm/hot when ejected out of an 81, but are not hot when I shoot it out of a Savage Model 99.
Wildgoose

Post by Wildgoose »

MinnesotaDan wrote: Wed Oct 21, 2020 12:32 pm I use a Lee 180 RN bullet mold. Gas checked, the bullet comes in at 173 grs. Go figure. Over 27 gr. of 3031 in a 300 Savage case, it is accurate and reliably cycles the action of an 81. I have not had any problems with this load, so if you blow up your rifle,well, it is not my fault. This is not a max load.

The cases are warm/hot when ejected out of an 81, but are not hot when I shoot it out of a Savage Model 99.
What are you running for an alloy? I usually run wheel weights quenched out of the mould for gas checked bullets in my 35 Remington Marlin lever gun shooting Cowboy Action Silhouette big bore.
MinnesotaDan

Post by MinnesotaDan »

I am using wheel weights. But I do not quench. I once got a visit from the "tinsel fairy" when some water touched the molten lead, so I don't have water around when I am casting anymore. Not to say that you should not quench your bullets, it's just that I am too clumsy to have molten lead around water. The tinsel fairy sprayed lead droplets all over the place!
Rifleman

Post by Rifleman »

Been there before. Was sitting castin for a spell several years ago, so I stood up to stretch a bit. Had a 'convenience' style coffee mug close by, grabbed it to take a drink. I don't like drinking from those things with the lid on through the little oval hole, always take it off to consume. Anyway, standing near my Lyman pot full of hot lead, took the lid off the coffee mug, and unknown drops of coffee/moisture condensation on the inside top of the lid came off, and hit that 800 some degree lead. POOOOOOOOFFFFFF! Lead droplets all over my castin bench, my jeans, and on the floor. The lead in the denim was a chore to get out, never did really get 100%. Good lesson learned.
MinnesotaDan

Post by MinnesotaDan »

I even had some splatter on my safety goggles. I am thankful that if I was dumb enough to get water in my lead, that I was at least smart enough to wear safety goggles. "A man's just got to know his limitations"-Dirty Harry in Magnum Force.
Bandersnatch

Post by Bandersnatch »

I check in periodically for new posts and I'm hoping that I'll have some new photos and hunting stories this season that feature the 81.
I am the cat who walks by himself. And all places are alike to me.
MinnesotaDan

Post by MinnesotaDan »

I will have my 81 in hand for the Minnesota deer opener in a couple of weeks. I also hope to have a photo or story to share. Good luck to you, Bandersnatch.
Bandersnatch

Post by Bandersnatch »

MinnesotaDan wrote: Mon Oct 26, 2020 12:09 pm I will have my 81 in hand for the Minnesota deer opener in a couple of weeks. I also hope to have a photo or story to share. Good luck to you, Bandersnatch.
Get a big 'un!
I am the cat who walks by himself. And all places are alike to me.