Savage 99 take-down/250 Savage questions...

Talk about things other than the Model 8's and 81's
Adam Lee

Savage 99 take-down/250 Savage questions...

Post by Adam Lee »

Hey guys.
I'm unfortunately being tempted once more on a couple of guns at the same time - from the same collection which I recently obtained my 1950 Marlin 336! :!:

The main temptation is a 1917-date code Savage 99, a take-down model, in 250 Savage. Somewhat dirty, and a little worn, but bet it will clean up good. Barrel is tight - doesn't have any play. Has been drilled & tapped for a scope, which is a cheap looking '70s no-name (can't recall) but it does function. $400.
What does anyone have to say about this deal? I think it sounds good for a project that functions well.

Next temptation is a 1914-1918 era Gewehr 98 sporterized pretty nicely. Rebarrelled in .30-06, polished blue, mismatched parts, and nicely bent bolt. Vintage Weaver K-4 scope. Typical 1950's/60's type "deluxe stock", if you know what I mean. Actually in good shape. $250.

Another teaser: the 5 or 6 (not kidding) various sporterized 1917 Enfields, ranging from $200-$600. Wish they had at least one in something other than .30-06, but not the oddball chamberings like the Weatherby jobs I've never really known anything about. They had all sorts of sporterized Enfields. Cheesy to cool-looking.

Of course, there was a 336 Marlin in .30-30 in nice shape for a decent price, but it was a post-lawyer safety button model which I have zero interest in.

I have a feeling there were more guns calling my name that I deliberately ignored. Like that rack of I don't know how many various SMLE's in good condition. Bunch of Browning A-5 iterations. Argh!! :roll:

OK that's it.
Adam
I am a regular joe, consisting of 78% coffee, 12% hot air, 9% organizational abilities, and 1% luck.
Bandersnatch

Re: Savage 99 take-down/250 Savage questions...

Post by Bandersnatch »

Buy the Savage and run, don't walk, before he can change his mind.
I am the cat who walks by himself. And all places are alike to me.
Adam Lee

Post by Adam Lee »

Bandersnatch wrote: Mon Jun 11, 2018 10:12 pm Buy the Savage and run, don't walk, before he can change his mind.
I thank you for your input!

Will see if this deal goes down. I'll inform as I can.

Adam
I am a regular joe, consisting of 78% coffee, 12% hot air, 9% organizational abilities, and 1% luck.
ranman

Post by ranman »

the takedown Savage sounds like a great project gun. Soooo light and handy, excellent for dogging the bush. There are still very many in use up here in the deer camps. I think at that price you won't be disappointed .
Halygon

Post by Halygon »

I vote on the Savage 1899 too. Great gun, interesting mechanics inside. Love the balance when walking around during hunting season.