Weaver scope

Talk about things other than the Model 8's and 81's
1907 32

Weaver scope

Post by 1907 32 »

Can anyone give me a date on this weaver scope on a 1907 32cal? I believe it is 4x
model 8.jpg
model 8.jpg (127.57 KiB) Viewed 5619 times
81police

Re: Weaver scope

Post by 81police »

I'm only guess, like 1950's maybe? 1960's?
Cam Woodall
Site Co-Administrator
Sarge756

Post by Sarge756 »

From the photo of the brass retaining ring for the lens and small adjustment caps would make this as an early K model Weaver. They began production of the K`s in 1947 and with changes throughout the model run til 1984. Under the rear mount you will probably find the model with power designation. It is definitely not a 4X as the K4`s were not straight tubed and had a bell. Would think yours to be late 40`s early fifties K2.5 or K3. These were scopes produced without constantly centered reticles so the crosshairs move when elevation and windage adjustments are made. That option appeared with the "60B" designation to the K`s ten or so years later.
While not a match in age to your 1907 rifle it is one of the first truly practical hunting scopes for it, not discounting offerings from other companies such as the Lyman Alaskan that is a decade older. I`ve zeroed a few rifles with the older Weavers without benefit of the constantly centered reticles and it can be frustrating. The cross hairs can end up in a corner if the mount is not true to the bore of the rifle. The stamped steel sidemount you have is one one of the worst for this problem. It can be corrected by removing the scope from the mounts and using a one inch dowel to carefully bend the mount to true it to the bore. Thin shims can also be used to mitigate the cross hairs from moving to a corner too. Enjoy, I`ve used the K2.5 and 3`s on many rifles. A Savage 99 with a K3 a little younger than your scope has accounted for a bunch of animals through the years.
Joe
".......ain't many troubles that a man cain't fix
With seven hundred dollars and a thirty ought six."
1907 32

Post by 1907 32 »

Thanks General- 81 Police
Late 40's or early 50's fits exactly in to the right time frame when My father used it for hunting after returning from WWII. It was frustrating (understatement) to sight in but it seems to be true to the bore and holds its settings well. I will keep the scope on this rifle even though there is some cloudiness on the inside of the lenses. It was my first hunting rifle and at the time I didn't realize what a fine weapon I was using.
1907 32
1907 32

Post by 1907 32 »

Thanks Sarge,
Can you believe I confused General ( forum) for your username ? Sorry. Great info.
1907 32
Sarge756

Post by Sarge756 »

Ha ! Ha ! Look at that everyone....I got a Big promotion ! Always good to have a rifle that you know the history of and appreciate. We are glad you shared it with us.
Joe
".......ain't many troubles that a man cain't fix
With seven hundred dollars and a thirty ought six."