8/81 ammo question

Talk about things other than the Model 8's and 81's
pieceinthevalley

8/81 ammo question

Post by pieceinthevalley »

I acquired some Remington "white box" .30 cal. which I assume was originally for police issue. Can anyone advise the time period this was produced? I figured this ammo would be correct for display with my FBI 81. FWIW, I also have a box of the same full metal case ammo in a standard green box which I acquired with the gun many years ago. I find it unusual that Remington would sell FMC ammo to the civilian market. Thoughts, comments, and opinions welcome.

Tom
81police

Re: 8/81 ammo question

Post by 81police »

Tom, the link below is everything you'll need to know about Model 8/81 ammo. Surely you'll find your box in there...

http://thegreatmodel8.remingtonsociety.com/?page_id=332
Cam Woodall
Site Co-Administrator
pieceinthevalley

Thanks so much Cam. I was easily able to date the various boxes of .30 Remington that I have been accumulating. On a side note, with my first trip to the range after installing the correct tall front sight, the first shots were right on the money. Thanks to you and all the fine folks here, I have a "shootable collectible" !
Mikeshoe72

Post by Mikeshoe72 »

I also have had a few boxes of the FMJ ammo in the standard green boxes. 160 grain bullets if I recall correctly. I read somewhere that guys in the fur trade years ago liked to use the FMJ loadings to minimize pelt damage. Sounds logical, but I have no real evidence to substantiate that.
pieceinthevalley

It most definitely sounds logical. My own theory is that Remington did originally produce this ammo solely for LE use but perhaps switched to the white packaging to prop up sales when other guns were starting to be introduced to the police. Like you, I have no evidence to back this up, but from a marketing standpoint, it is feasible.