A Set of Remington Rifles

Talk about things other than the Model 8's and 81's
jack1653

A Set of Remington Rifles

Post by jack1653 »

Hey Guys,

I had an idea for this posting and sent 81police an email with an explanation of what I wanted to do and this is what he had to say:

"As far as the lists. I think there's the lists, then there's the Jackitis lists, which can progress into a unstoppable combination of collecting criteria! I think your idea about posting on lists is a great one, I encourage you to generate a post and I'll definitely chime in!"

I have been doing some thinking about the Model 8 & 81. I have been going through the Henwood book trying to learn more about these rifles. An idea came to me that I thought might generate some interest among some of the membership. It concerns the topic of a "set" of these rifles for collectors. On page 163 of Henwood's book he talks about the set and what comprises a collectible set. I will admit that when I started serious collecting of these rifles I used this as a guide for my buying. I had every intention of stopping after getting "The Set", but as we know, I got "jackitis" and it was game on.

I was wondering what your thoughts are about having the "ideal set" of these rifles. Some of us have gleaned a lot of knowledge about these rifles and indeed put together our own sets.

If cost was not an issue what would you consider to be the ideal "Set" to own? What would be your second choice, third and fourth choice? There is no right or wrong answer, it is what you think.

Many of you know that I have several "sets" in my collection. I would be willing to share this information and my reasons for having each set. In some of these sets, a rifle may be in another set. I found it challenging to try and complete a set and to try and keep everything in some sort of order.

I sure want to hear from; S and S Huntclub, Packmule, 2verpster, Sarge756, Roger, Hardrada55, Rem8&81, rem81auto and many more.

Thank you in advance for your participation.

Regards,

jack1653
Hardrada55

Re: A Set of Remington Rifles

Post by Hardrada55 »

So many potential sets....for the Model 8. Calibers? Simple, there's only four; you can look at different butt plates, different stock styles...cheeks or no cheeks; straight grip vs. bag handle pistol grip; early style safety vs the normal safety; caliber markings....early, on the receiver bridge markings, 30-30 and 25-35; Magazine springs.... none, one or two; Barrel roll markings....huge number of variations there...; after market sights; For me, the basic set by calibers. How do you other guys see the break down of the different possible sets? And what is the most desirable set?
...the right of citizens to bear arms is just one more guarantee against arbitrary government, one more safeguard against the tyranny which now appears remote in America..."
- Hubert H. Humphrey, "Gun" magazine, Feb. '60
jack1653

Post by jack1653 »

Hey Hadrada55,

Thanks for the reply. You certainly provided some great suggestions for adding additional collecting opportunities. This is why I asked for input from people who see more opportunities than just the standard caliber collection. I wonder what kind of logarithm would have to be developed to determine how many rifles would be needed to satisfy the the collection possibilities. :shock:

I think I see a bad round of "jackitis" hitting some of our members. :o :lol: :lol:

Regards,

jack1653
81police

Post by 81police »

With "Jackitis" in full effect & money no object? A POE rifle from every department they ever issued!

It would also be kinda cool to have an 8, and 81, and an FN1900 all with the same serial number.

But, a more practical set for 81police would be an assortment of 8's and 81's in varying configurations all in 35Rem. Scoped, peep sighted, factory irons, straight grip, pistol grip, etc.
Cam Woodall
Site Co-Administrator
Roger

Post by Roger »

I've had no time this week to think about the answer I might give here for Jack's "set" question. But here it goes anyway. My perfect set,if money was no object, would be 4 -model 8 Checkered A or C grade,round knob,with the calibers hand engraved on the barrel jacket extension. Early production in other words. One each caliber,25-30-32-35 rem. Plus 5- model 81-B grade, one in each caliber,25-30-32-35 rem.300 savage. There it is as of tonight. However by tomorrow night I may have a different answer. This is a great idea, Jack. Gives us all something to dream about. However,I really don't need anymore help with jackitus. I'm very good at it all by myself. And by the way, Ride The High Country,the movie,was just on TCM channel. Warren Oates and his Rem. Model 8 are sure visible in many scenes. And you can sure tell the 35 rem. Loads when they go off!!! No matter how many times I see that movie, I always love it. Sorry about straying from the original subject.
Thanks for your time,
Roger
Roger
raw4555@gmail.com
jack1653

Post by jack1653 »

Hey Roger,

Thanks for taking the time to reply. You have certainly been thinking about what you would like to have in a set. Given some of your previous posts and purchases it all comes together and fits with your suggestions. You have been very diligent in finding what you want and when you get your set completed, perhaps you can take some pictures and post them for us to see. I will be waiting to see your next suggestions for additional sets that you suggest.

Regards,

jack1653
Roger

Post by Roger »

Hey Jack,
I failed to include an FN 1900,after all they all have round knobs and are factory checkered. I already have 2 of te rifles on my list. I suppose my love of the checkered round knobs comes from my original love of the Belgium made Browning Auto 5s. Anyway,money is definitely an object in my real world. So I may never get anymore of my list rifles. But as you have said, I'm pretty diligent in my search. By the way, my schedule ,wouldn't allow me to go to the November Tulsa gun show. In April 2017, my plan now is to attend the Tulsa show. Who knows what might appear there. However,my true love of JMB designed Winchesters, may get in the way. In my 3 trips to Tulsa,I've purchased
5 Winchester,and only one Remington model 8. It's not from lack of trying . I truly tried to buy an 8C grade last April. Guy wouldn't sell. A year ago I walked away from 2 -M8D grades because the seller wanted too much for them.
You never know when the gun of your dreams will appear. Maybe that's why this collecting deal is so much fun"addictive".
Thanks for your time,
Roger
Roger
raw4555@gmail.com
norm

Post by norm »

A set of Model 8's each having a different barrel jacket markings would probably be hard to obtain. There are 10 or 11 different markings and the full set in each of the 4 Model 8 rifles would be a fantastic set.
jack1653

Post by jack1653 »

Hey norm,

Thanks for your input. That indeed would be a fantastic set of rifles. If there that many barrel markings and there are four model 8's that would mean a set of 160 rifles. How many markings are there for the model 81? Holy Cow!!! :shock: :shock: That many rifles could cause a real bad case of jackitis!! :o :o :lol: :lol: I don't think I could survive that set.

Do you know if there is a serial number range for each of the markings? I am feeling lazy and have not researched Henwood's book for the answer.

Regards,

jack1653
Mikeshoe72

Post by Mikeshoe72 »

Serial number 1of the FN, model 8 and 81. Now that would be a cool 3 gun set!
jack1653

Post by jack1653 »

Hey Mike,

I was wondering if you would respond and am glad that you have. Some how I am not at all surprised at your ideal set. I know how you have been watching for the low serial numbers from some of your previous postings. I remember the model 81 you brought to the Great 8 Event this past July that had a very low serial number. I know it was lower than my number 25. It is always exciting to see the early models. You keep looking and if a low one comes up that you want to pass on, let me know. ;)

Kindest Regards,

jack1653
Mikeshoe72

Post by Mikeshoe72 »

Thanks Jack, I sure will pass along when I find something interesting. I don't know why the early numbers intrigue me. Seems like in the gun world, early production examples exhibit better workmanship. It is interesting too see as the years go along how production changes due to cost cutting and efficiency. Like in the pre and post '64 Winchesters, for example.

Mike
norm

Post by norm »

I checked Henwood's book this morning. There at least 13 different barrel jacket markings and possibly 15 in the Model 8. Model 81 there are only 2 different markings. Jack check your gun safe, you might already have a set.
jack1653

Post by jack1653 »

Hey norm,

Thanks for the additional information. I am going to hold off on checking this set for some days when I can't get outside. I am pretty sure I have the model 81 jackets but I will wait until I can check it out. It might be possible I could fill one set of the model 8, but I know I don't have enough model 8's to complete all the sets. This will be an interesting and time consuming endeavor. I will try and keep you posted on my progress.

Regards,

jack1653
jack1653

Post by jack1653 »

Hey Guys,

Well, old "norm" has got me started looking at the barrel jackets in my collection. What a chore it has turned out to be. I have barely made a dent in checking them out. As I had previously mentioned, I did not have any trouble in getting one each of the roll markings for the model 81 since there are only two.

I am making slow progress on the model 8's and am still looking for six roll markings as described in Henwood's book. I did have what I call good luck and have found two roll markings that are not mentioned in Henwood's book. I have sent a picture of one of the finds to 81police and he will post it for me. It is for a MODEL 8-C.

The second find is a subtle variation of roll marking number eleven. Since Henwood was meticulous in describing the various nuances of the roll markings, I consider this to be yet another variation. There are two hyphens after the word Arms instead of one mentioned by Henwood.

I would suggest these two variations should be added to the list of barrel jacket roll markings. I will send another picture to 81police so he can post it also.

This cold weather allows me the time to have some seat time with the rifles and I am taking a lot of notes about each rifle. Some of these rifles I have not seen for several years and am pleased to lay eyes on them again.

Thanks for the time and I will have another update if I find some more unique roll markings.

Regards,

jack1653
81police

Post by 81police »

very cool!
Attachments
1482241996823.jpg
1482241996823.jpg (27.59 KiB) Viewed 15627 times
Cam Woodall
Site Co-Administrator
jack1653

Post by jack1653 »

Hey Guys,

I have finished looking through the collection of the model 8's checking the roll marking style on each rifle. Of the 15 styles listed for the model 8 by Henwood, I have 8 of them. The styles that I do not have are styles 4-8, 13 and 14. In addition, I have found 6 that Henwood was not aware of at the time he gathered his data.

I mentioned in a previous post that there were 2 different slight variations in style 11. I have also found variations in style number 10. I have also found the one that is in the above picture for the Model 8-C.

I found one barrel jacket that had no roll markings and one that I marked unknown and I need to back and figure out what I meant. :oops: My shorthand got really short on this note.

You will note that I did not include the Model 81's because there are only 2 styles and I have both styles.

A tally by style looks like this:

Style 1. 33
Style 2. 35
Style 3. 1
Style 4-8. 0
Style 9. 13
Style 10. 4
Style 11. 13
Style 12. 15
Style 13-14. 0
Style 15. 4

While I was doing this I also took a lot of notes on sights, proof marks and other notes about each rifle. Now comes the chore of getting it organized and put on the computer. This may take a couple of winters. :lol: :lol:

Another side benefit of doing this exercise was to see some rifles I had not seen in several years. I was able to identify some rifles that will make some really nice sets. At some point I will get the rifles out again and take some pictures of these sets.

If you have any questions about what I have done, please post a reply and I will respond.

Regards,

jack1653
81police

Post by 81police »

very interesting observations Jack! Thanks for going through the guns and sharing this info with us. Goes to show, Henwood's book is a real treasure but not the definitive history of 8/81's and their markings!
Cam Woodall
Site Co-Administrator