99 Savage questions/interests

Talk about things other than the Model 8's and 81's
Adam Lee

99 Savage questions/interests

Post by Adam Lee »

Guys,

I've never owned a 99 Savage but have been keeping my eyes open for when I see a nice one in .300 Savage. They are really something!

Before I get a 99 though, looking to start building my knowledge base from a reloading standpoint - about .300 Savage - anyone here load this round, whether or not for a 99 Savage? Also - any other feedback on a 99, such as manufacture date info/unique runs/etc.
I do also visit the 99 Savage forum to learn stuff.

Thanks all!

Adam
ps....now, into another "R" of the gun hobby - reloading and Rossi leverguns!

Remington, Ruger, Rossi, and reloading...oh boy!
I am a regular joe, consisting of 78% coffee, 12% hot air, 9% organizational abilities, and 1% luck.
Bandersnatch

Re: 99 Savage questions/interests

Post by Bandersnatch »

I own several 99's in .300 and .30-30. I load the 99 with Hornady SST bullets, the ones they make specially for the .300 sav, over a healthy charge of 3031. It shoots 1 1/2 inches all day. There may be other bullets that work with this short cartridge, but I really like these.
I am the cat who walks by himself. And all places are alike to me.
Adam Lee

Post by Adam Lee »

Bandersnatch wrote:I own several 99's in .300 and .30-30. I load the 99 with Hornady SST bullets, the ones they make specially for the .300 sav, over a healthy charge of 3031. It shoots 1 1/2 inches all day. There may be other bullets that work with this short cartridge, but I really like these.
Thanks for the feedback!

I know that at least one other forum member here, olskool, has a nice-looking 99 in his photobucket album I saw before. I think his was in .308, and it looked nice!

I think the rotary magazine, classic wood stocks and the variety of chamberings was what sold me on the 99 in general. I've not managed to locate a close-by 99 for sale as of yet, maybe I'll get lucky!

First though I am still gathering my knowledge base so I can be more fluent in the 99's particular idiosyncrasies and "look-for's" so I know what to really look for. Like whether a take-down in .300 Savage is more preferred than a non-take-down, that sort of thing.

Again, thanks!

Adam
I am a regular joe, consisting of 78% coffee, 12% hot air, 9% organizational abilities, and 1% luck.
jim8008

Post by jim8008 »

Adam,

Check out LeRoy Merz Antique Firearms ... New Arrivals ... Item S1047.

You may never see this package again. Go ahead ... it's only money.

Jim
Bandersnatch

Post by Bandersnatch »

Adam Lee wrote:
Bandersnatch wrote:I own several 99's in .300 and .30-30. I load the 99 with Hornady SST bullets, the ones they make specially for the .300 sav, over a healthy charge of 3031. It shoots 1 1/2 inches all day. There may be other bullets that work with this short cartridge, but I really like these.
Thanks for the feedback!

I know that at least one other forum member here, olskool, has a nice-looking 99 in his photobucket album I saw before. I think his was in .308, and it looked nice!

I think the rotary magazine, classic wood stocks and the variety of chamberings was what sold me on the 99 in general. I've not managed to locate a close-by 99 for sale as of yet, maybe I'll get lucky!

First though I am still gathering my knowledge base so I can be more fluent in the 99's particular idiosyncrasies and "look-for's" so I know what to really look for. Like whether a take-down in .300 Savage is more preferred than a non-take-down, that sort of thing.

Again, thanks!

Adam

Not a problem, bossman.

As to the takedown 99, I'm not sure that it's worth the premium you're going to pay for one, unless you just want the cool factor. I own 3 and they're not takedowns, but that's just me.

One of the things I look for is whether the receiver is factory drilled for a scope. Over the decades a bunch of kitchen table gun plumbers drilled a bunch of holes in these thick receiver guns for scopes. This of course lowers the value a great deal. Also look for signs of rust. I bought a .300 99 off gunbroker that had some obvious signs of rust on the outside but the seller made no mention of the rust on the *inside*. It took a bit of elbow grease and a couple of new spare parts to get it where I wanted it, and it's probably the best shooter of all of them.

I also look for slightly odd ball guns: maybe with custom touches or replaced wood. Anything that makes it different enough that the regular collectors won't be interested. My first 99 was a carbine in .30-30. It had had the wood replaced at some point in the 20th century with some beautiful, but clearly not original wood. It also had a Lyman micrometer rear sight. No one wanted it. It was mine, for a reasonable sum.
I am the cat who walks by himself. And all places are alike to me.
Adam Lee

Post by Adam Lee »

jim8008 wrote:Adam,

Check out LeRoy Merz Antique Firearms ... New Arrivals ... Item S1047.

You may never see this package again. Go ahead ... it's only money.

Jim
Wow. Nice combo! Not for me though. Exactly right for someone with deep pockets and the gun room with an empty rack to fill!

Thanks for sharing - great photos to snag!

Adam
Adam Lee

Post by Adam Lee »

Nice gun, and thanks for the info!
Adam
Bandersnatch wrote:
Adam Lee wrote:
Thanks for the feedback!

Again, thanks!

Adam

Not a problem, bossman.

As to the takedown 99, I'm not sure that it's worth the premium you're going to pay for one, unless you just want the cool factor. I own 3 and they're not takedowns, but that's just me.

One of the things I look for is whether the receiver is factory drilled for a scope. Over the decades a bunch of kitchen table gun plumbers drilled a bunch of holes in these thick receiver guns for scopes. This of course lowers the value a great deal. Also look for signs of rust. I bought a .300 99 off gunbroker that had some obvious signs of rust on the outside but the seller made no mention of the rust on the *inside*. It took a bit of elbow grease and a couple of new spare parts to get it where I wanted it, and it's probably the best shooter of all of them.

I also look for slightly odd ball guns: maybe with custom touches or replaced wood. Anything that makes it different enough that the regular collectors won't be interested. My first 99 was a carbine in .30-30. It had had the wood replaced at some point in the 20th century with some beautiful, but clearly not original wood. It also had a Lyman micrometer rear sight. No one wanted it. It was mine, for a reasonable sum.
olskool

Post by olskool »

i love 99s and i love the 300 savage. my favorite powder is varget with 150gr.-165gr. projectiles.
I have never harvested an animal, but I have killed quite a few.............
norm

Post by norm »

Adam, I have several 300 Savages and really like them. I load nothing but cast bullets for them. Varget is definitely a good powder for the little 300. As for takedown vs solid frame I have 2 99 carbines one solid frame and one takedown. The solid frame is slightly more accurate overr a long string of shots with the same loads. Not that the takedown is inaccurate. But there definitely is a cool factor with the takedown.