WHERE ARE YOU?

Talk about things other than the Model 8's and 81's
jack1653

WHERE ARE YOU?

Post by jack1653 »

Hey Guys,

I was reviewing the threads in the Index and noticed that there are a lot of members we haven't heard from in many months and in some cases years. These members use to submit issues and many provided a wealth of very helpful information and offered solutions to issues that many of us have encountered with our beloved Model 8 & 81 rifles. I had asked 81police if there was a way to send a blanket message through the forum and he advised there is not an easy way to do this task. I could do a copy and paste a message through a PM but this would take a lot of time.

What I was wondering if all of us could try and contact some of our old friends and telling them that we have missed hearing from them and would like for them to check in and update us on what they have been doing. Maybe they have added some rifles to their collection and would share some pictures.

I think all of us from time to time get busy and forget about the forum. I know this is true with me and if I have other issues going on in my life, the forum will take a back seat. Fortunately, I have 81police who will check in with me via text messaging to see if I am okay and I sincerely appreciate his contact. It will get me back to the forum and I am always surprised to see how much I have missed by not checking in. I believe that many of the members probably fall into that same situation and may just need a reminder that we would like to hear from them.

I would be interested in your thoughts and suggestion to get our missing members back to share their stories and advice. Thank you for your consideration.

Kindest Regards,

jack1653
Roger

Re: WHERE ARE YOU?

Post by Roger »

Hey guys,
I am also in favor of doing what we can to encourage all our members (old and new) to continue to contribute to our 8/81 forum. I am one of the people who gets too busy with my work(self-employed contractor) to take the time to post items on this forum. I look at this forum though,almost every day. I'm not sure what I can do to help,but I'm in favor of any suggestions you all may have. These Rem.8/81s are important to me and are a big part of my collection. So any info about them that I can learn from any source is good for me. Jack has reached out to us members and I'm hoping this post will also help.
Thanks for your time,
Roger
Roger
raw4555@gmail.com
Hardrada55

Post by Hardrada55 »

I will cop to reading the forum every day but not posting very often. I need to contribute more from what little I have.

I know an idea that was floated in the past ( I think someone suggested it, ....or maybe I'm just dreamin' agin") would be to have some kind of get together for Remington Autoloader enthusiasts to show off their collections and trade stuff and maybe shoot with people who really appreciate this fascinating niche in the world of firearms. Fun to put a face to a name. Fun to listen to others experiences and wisdom and "wisdom" and stories. Fun to oww and ahhh over someone's holy grail.
...the right of citizens to bear arms is just one more guarantee against arbitrary government, one more safeguard against the tyranny which now appears remote in America..."
- Hubert H. Humphrey, "Gun" magazine, Feb. '60
jack1653

Post by jack1653 »

Hardrada55 wrote:I will cop to reading the forum every day but not posting very often. I need to contribute more from what little I have.

I know an idea that was floated in the past ( I think someone suggested it, ....or maybe I'm just dreamin' agin") would be to have some kind of get together for Remington Autoloader enthusiasts to show off their collections and trade stuff and maybe shoot with people who really appreciate this fascinating niche in the world of firearms. Fun to put a face to a name. Fun to listen to others experiences and wisdom and "wisdom" and stories. Fun to oww and ahhh over someone's holy grail.
Hey Hardrada55,

I do the same thing on your website. :o I review often but rarely comment. I will try and do better ;)

You are correct about the idea to get together. I think it was a guy from Texas, but don't hold me to it. I think it would be great if we could put such an event together. Our biggest problem, I would think, is the logistics of finding a location that would be geographically easy for everyone. We have members from coast to coast and border to border. I will contact 81police to collaborate on a questionnaire that might provide some suggestions as how the best way to proceed. I live in central Illinois and have a farm where such an event could be held.

Sarge756 has been there and 81police has seen pictures. The site can be set up for some shooting and there is an area for a bonfire and eating. RV's and campers could be accommodated. I am sure with a little effort a display area can be arranged for those who want to bring rifles for others to see. I certainly would make my collection available for viewing as well as making some rifles available for shooting like the POE's. I may need some assistance with ammunition. I am almost certain that I can get security from some agencies for such an event.

I hope the readers will free to respond with suggestions and comments. We can make it happen if we want it bad enough. Let me hear from all of you.

Regards,

jack1653
Sarge756

Post by Sarge756 »

Great minds think alike Jack !!! Couple months back I was trading PM`s with Carl, (Phyrbird) and we talked about just such a meet and greet. Your name came up of course and I told him what a good time we had shooting and visiting this past summer.
I believe Carl could be talked into a road trip. He is just up the road in Kentucky. You will have to chase that winter weather away though before I leave Florida and again go north.It was sure pleasant when I was there in late August. Looked at your weather forecast for tonight and it says 4 degrees in the morning with a balmy 20 tomorrow afternoon. I`m ready when it gets warm and appreciate you being gracious, as usual , and offering the meeting place. Need to get that youngster from Texas to join us too.
Joe
".......ain't many troubles that a man cain't fix
With seven hundred dollars and a thirty ought six."
Phyrbird

Post by Phyrbird »

Did I hear somebody say RoadTrip :?: :?: HMMM 8-)
What an Idea :!: I'm trying to get back to work; so make it soon. I'd hate to miss it for a new job.
I gotta figure out how I could sleep in a Rondo or a Durango. Being 6'5" it's kinda limited. If I have to choose between sleeping arrangements and loading more stuff for trade or exhibit it would get very crowded. Maybe if someone had a handy barn or cabin it might work. I can do straw. :lol:
Phyrbird
SOKY
Roger

Post by Roger »

Hey guys,
I'm in Iowa,so I'm not that far from Jack in Illinois. He and I have discussed a meeting at his new place and so far I just haven't seen an opening to go over there. As long as I'm invited to this shindig, and I'm given some notice ahead of time. Then I'm in for this opportunity. I've got alot of ammo,as long as we save the brass. I own alot of Rem.model 8/81s and one FN 1900.I'll be glad to share my stuff with my forum friends.
Thanks for your time,
Roger
Roger
raw4555@gmail.com
Roger

Post by Roger »

Hey guys,
I'm in Iowa,so I'm not that far from Jack in Illinois. He and I have discussed a meeting at his new place and so far I just haven't seen an opening to go over there. As long as I'm invited to this shindig, and I'm given some notice ahead of time. Then I'm in for this opportunity. I've got alot of ammo,as long as we save the brass. I own alot of Rem.model 8/81s and one FN 1900.I'll be glad to share my stuff with my forum friends.
Thanks for your time,
Roger
Roger
raw4555@gmail.com
81police

Post by 81police »

Sarge756 wrote: Need to get that youngster from Texas to join us too.
Joe

Haha! I'm 35 now, still a youngster? :D
Cam Woodall
Site Co-Administrator
Sarge756

Post by Sarge756 »

35? 35? Heck,I`ve got shoes older than that. It`s ok Cam.If you can make the trip just understand that we can`t stay up too late and an afternoon nap is mandatory.
Joe
81police

Post by 81police »

jack1653 is the one you'll have to worry about, once that jackitis gets flowing he'll be wired for hours! ;)
Cam Woodall
Site Co-Administrator
Fred

Post by Fred »

I've been working overseas for several months. I was not allowed to bring my guns along so I've got nothing to contribute. I still read a few posts whenever I have time. Whenever I get back home I intend to figure out how to get my .35 M8 to shoot better than pie plate at 25yds. :cry:

I'm interested in a meet and greet if I'm stateside. I prefer the southwest, but wouldn't mind much of a roadtrip. Fuel's been a lot less expensive than when I was last back home.
Last edited by Fred on Wed Jan 27, 2016 11:03 am, edited 1 time in total.
Adam Lee

Post by Adam Lee »

Guys,
this sounds like a cool idea - something I'd really consider planning for, given the right season/calendar selections y'all come up with. For an elementary gen ed classroom teacher, I don't usually have but summer time to work with. Although it is possible for me to take time off like a Friday/Monday so I can create a 4-day weekend trip.

I'd love to bring a trunk load of guns to chat about, shoot some, and get some feedback on history of these guns!

Hope you guys know how to be prepped for a blizzard if you're in the bulls-eye on this one - it just started snowing here in Alexandria, Virginia - expecting 20-30" snow by Sunday morning. Another "snowmageddon" like 2010 I think!

AND....not to totally hijack this thread - at 52 years of age, I just had my LAST wisdom tooth removed this morning - what a way to schedule tooth surgery - right as a blizzard unfolds on us! Least my wife and I got all stocked up past couple of days. We expect the power will go out at some point - fun stuff!

OK take care all, and let's keep this idea going!

Adam Lee

ps here's my Krieger project, just to spice things up - I gotta get Pete to modify one of my stock mags to replace my missing mag!
Attachments
pix163329194.jpg
pix163329194.jpg (61.56 KiB) Viewed 534758 times
I am a regular joe, consisting of 78% coffee, 12% hot air, 9% organizational abilities, and 1% luck.
Phyrbird

Post by Phyrbird »

Looks nice :!:
Wish I could chat with Pete some too, got a handful of projects he might find interesting.
Phyrbird
SOKY
ranman

Post by ranman »

Hey guys, I'm still logging in weekly to see what's going on in the model 8 world. I also need to take more time and post about these fine rifles.
Packmule

Post by Packmule »

Packmule here just saying Howdy! Hope all is well in Remington model 8/81 land. I don't have time to post much, but I do read the post from time to time. Never thought that this website I started in 2009 would be around this long. Thanks to Cam and the rest of y'all for keeping it alive and doing well.
God Bless
~Pack~

RSA Member
German Gun Collectors Association

John 3:16
For God so loved the world, that he gave his only begotten Son, that whosoever believeth in him should not perish, but have everlasting life.
jack1653

Post by jack1653 »

Hey Guys,

Good to hear from all of you. It is good to know that you still check in with us to let us know that you are doing okay.

I am working on the "get together" plans. I will try and get some general thoughts together and share with you. If any of you have suggestions for the event, please share them with me and I will try to incorporate them.

I am thinking a Friday-Sunday with the big day on Saturday. Friday and Sunday can be travel days. I will be able to provide parking for campers and rv's but no dumping station. I have two portable generators that can be available for temporary power. Tent sites around the lake can be set up. I may be able to provide some folding tables for displays if I know in advance how many would be needed.

I can set up a shooting area for those who want to shoot. The distances can be staggered up to 300 yards. I will need to know many targets to get unless someone else has a good supply.

Regards,

jack1653
Phyrbird

Post by Phyrbird »

WoW Jack this could be an Event... :o
We all appreciate your efforts, The Members should chip in to help. :mrgreen:
Phyrbird
SOKY
Behemotosh

Post by Behemotosh »

Hey Crazy Eights!

As several mentioned -make it an event. Set some tables so each member can show their fleet. Have a show and tell, parts tables(for me of course), ammo, etc.

I am looking for some of the old photos showing deer and Model 8's.

I especially like knowing the history of some of these old guns.

Behemotosh
Adam Lee

Post by Adam Lee »

Behemotosh wrote:Hey Crazy Eights!Behemotosh
Mr. B,

I like the term you raised - "Crazy Eights!" What an apt description of many of us Model 8 (and 81) fans!

Wondering why I never thought of that....LOL

Take care all - let's see if we can't get the date/time frame agreed upon somehow, so that I can plan on taking time off from work if necessary.

Adam
I am a regular joe, consisting of 78% coffee, 12% hot air, 9% organizational abilities, and 1% luck.
Bandersnatch

Post by Bandersnatch »

So, do we have a when and where for the Crazy 8?
I am the cat who walks by himself. And all places are alike to me.
jack1653

Post by jack1653 »

If everything works out as I am planning, I hope to host the event near central Illinois southeast of Springfield, Illinois. Easy to find and good dieections to the site. I am hoping to have a firm date very soon and I am looking at the last weekend in July, 28-31. The main show date would be on Saturday with travel days on Friday and Sunday. I will be prepared for anyone that would want to come early.

I have to work out some legal issues and get a waiver of liability from those that will be attending. There are no fees to attend and enjoy the event. For those who may want alcohol, bring your own but remember those who drink the day of and prior to the shooting will not be allowed to participate in shooting events. NO EXCEPTIONS.

I will have thee shooting benches and there will be adequate space for standing and prone shooting. Some targets will be provided but feel free to bring your own targets. If you plan to shoot, bring your own ammunition.

There will be wood for campfires and an evening cookout is being considered. A fish fry is also being considered. There is a small lake on the property but there will be no swimming allowed during the event.

The event will be closed to the general public and is only open to Forum members and their families. I need to know how many individuals will be accompanying you. Special invitations may be considered but should have my approval before showing up for the event. I do plan on having security at the event with arrest authority.

I would like to know if there are any special needs prior to the event to see if I can accommodate you. Tables for displays, etc. I have two portable generators that may be used if needed and drop cords. Well water is available for potable water but would suggest that drinking water should be brought. The well has not been used for household use for three years because the house is vacant. If I know the number of attendees ahead of time, I may be able to provide the water.

This should give some general idea of what is being considered at this point in time. Please let me know if you have any suggestions and I will do my best to accommodate and put them in place. You can email me at jack1653@att.net.

Kindest Regards,

jack1653
Sarge756

Post by Sarge756 »

That should work for me and the boss. Late July will be warm enough. I know this is primarily a Model 8/81 rodeo but would hope we might include some other John Browning designed arms. Am thinking about the A5`s and Remington model 11 and other variants. Perhaps a thrower or two (hopefully electric) to allow us to break some clays. I`m restoring a 16ga 520 Stevens that I`d love to bring along to show off and shoot. Looking forward to seeing you again Jack and meeting new friends. Ok Cam,time to get busy with hats and Tee-shirts for the event.
Joe
jack1653

Post by jack1653 »

Sarge756 wrote:That should work for me and the boss. Late July will be warm enough. I know this is primarily a Model 8/81 rodeo but would hope we might include some other John Browning designed arms. Am thinking about the A5`s and Remington model 11 and other variants. Perhaps a thrower or two (hopefully electric) to allow us to break some clays. I`m restoring a 16ga 520 Stevens that I`d love to bring along to show off and shoot. Looking forward to seeing you again Jack and meeting new friends. Ok Cam,time to get busy with hats and Tee-shirts for the event.
Joe
That is a great suggestion Joe!! Guys can bring anything they want to show off. I have other firearms that I could bring and will do so. I have some local contacts that may be able to help in getting a thrower. There is adequate space to set up a clay range.

Cameron and I checked on the hats ant T shirts last year and "the juice wasn't worth the squeeze". I am sure if guys wanted to shell out the costs, something can be done. As I recall there is a minimum order but I will let Cameron respond to this suggestion. I will buy one to help get the orders started.

Regards,

jack1653
Phyrbird

Post by Phyrbird »

I'd love to attend. There may be one of the kids (late 30s) that may join me. Besides the herd, I too had planned to bring some other JMB designs. I have a nice Savage, a Jaypan A5, a Medallion, a BPR, a BAR, and a trey of pistols. ;) Could there be an interest in some S&W revolvers? I also have my "Baby" Ruger convertible custom. The biggest problem will be making space for all I want to show and clothes, ammo, bedding, and maybe a pallet for sleep... :?
Sounds like a Great Road Trip. I am So looking forward to meeting our friends.

The only thing that might interfere with the trip might be that next job. Looking you know... 8-)
Phyrbird
SOKY
Adam Lee

Post by Adam Lee »

Hey Jack - is the site generally located near Taylorville or in that general direction? I'm trying to figure out logistics already - so I can be prepared to defend my case to the Missus!

For me, coming from Alexandria VA, it would be a drive split into two days since I think it's about 11 or 12 hours to my "hunch" of the Taylorville area. I also have to be sure that I don't have a job, or a conference/job-related event that week.

Final question - will this location be "tent-friendly" for those of us non-RV'ers? My wife has the big 4x4 SUV with cargo box, I've got a lil' VW Golf 2-door hatchback! :mrgreen: I certainly have lots of camping gear/tent/cooking stuff/etc., but just wanted to check. Luckily this will limit how much gun stuff I get to bring, but since it's just going to be me and no dogs or wife (how do you like the way I wrote that? :o ) I will definitely have enough room.

I am going to try and make this event if I can! So that would be one more person to add to your tentative roster I guess.

Thanks!
Adam
Adam Lee

Post by Adam Lee »

Sarge756 wrote:That should work for me and the boss. Late July will be warm enough. I know this is primarily a Model 8/81 rodeo but would hope we might include some other John Browning designed arms. Am thinking about the A5`s and Remington model 11 and other variants. Perhaps a thrower or two (hopefully electric) to allow us to break some clays. I`m restoring a 16ga 520 Stevens that I`d love to bring along to show off and shoot. Looking forward to seeing you again Jack and meeting new friends. Ok Cam,time to get busy with hats and Tee-shirts for the event.
Joe
You brought up something I wondered too, Joe - if it was "kosher" to bring guns other than 8's and 81's to share/show/shoot. Personally, I'm looking forward to inspecting just about each and every gun I see - I just love gun history in general. I'm very interested to take a look at what you're doing with that 520 Stevens in 16 gauge. I had fun with JMB's 520's too, just in 12 ga though.

Maybe some of you guys will also bring different "flavors" of Remingtons as well - like Model 14's and 141's, etc. It would really please me a great deal to take a look at some good examples of Model 30 Express bolt actions since I only have seen customized 1917 military rifles made to look like Model 30's.

Alright this is long-winded - have fun guys!

Adam
jack1653

Post by jack1653 »

The event site is 5 miles south of Taylorville. The site is definitely tent/camping friendly. There will be enough flat spaces around the main house for parking a RV. There is power available at the house and barns/sheds to service normal power requirements. Tents can be set in any number of places. Golf carts can be easily accommodated.

There are a couple of motels in the town but are not first class.

Regards,

Jack