first shots out of the new to me rifle

Talk about things other than the Model 8's and 81's
gusbratz

first shots out of the new to me rifle

Post by gusbratz »

picked up my new (to me) model 8 at the FFL yesterday and got a bit of time to shoot if before work today. Big thanks to sarge756 for getting me set up with a rifle. I only had 8 rounds that are new enough to be at all accurate but of course I was itching to try out the new rifle. shot 4 at the 100 yard target. Nothing to write home to mom about but hey at least i'm in the ballpark. That piece of paper looks awful small at the end of those big buckhorn sights. I will have to get a peep sight next. So just to let every body in the world know the next one that comes up on ebay is mine so you all may as well just not even bid. :D
Sarge756

Re: first shots out of the new to me rifle

Post by Sarge756 »

Looking good ! I miss her already but glad she is in a good home. Hope you take a nice buck and will post the photos.
Joe
".......ain't many troubles that a man cain't fix
With seven hundred dollars and a thirty ought six."
gusbratz

Post by gusbratz »

I love it when a plan starts to come together. I converted a bunch of 30-30 win brass to .32 rem on the lathe. annealed the case necks and ran them through my rcbs 32 rem dies. got some bullets cast with the lee 8mm mold i bought. crimped on 8mm gas checks and sized them to .323 with BCS lube and they came out beautiful. loaded over 28 grains of imr3031 i am seeing about 1900-2000 FPS. the new peep sight came and i made an aperture and screw for it on the lathe which was a real fun project. If anybody was wondering the screw is a 10-40 as is the thread pitch on the aperture. I am starting to see some improvement. I am Still using the great big white bead front sight that came with it and the giant buckhorn rear. I have a new rear sight on order and a thinner marbles front sight. they should hopefully close these groups up a little bit more and things will be where i want them. It warmed up to 19*F yesterday and i put about 100 rounds through it. interesting to note that the first 2 shots the round didn't fully chamber and i had to give the bolt an assist. the cold may not be good for all the springs in it. after those first 2 shots things warmed up and i had no more malfunctions for the other 98 shots. the rifle has a real neat distinctive bark. i wonder what is sounds like from far away. during deer season i always try to tell what caliber people are shooting out in the woods through the course of the day.
Adam Lee

Post by Adam Lee »

looks good, Gus!

glad Joe sold you that .32 Model 8!

Adam
I am a regular joe, consisting of 78% coffee, 12% hot air, 9% organizational abilities, and 1% luck.
Phyrbird

Post by Phyrbird »

Outstanding, Like the group... :!: Check this out :ugeek:

viewtopic.php?f=20&t=3155
Phyrbird
SOKY
NEOhio Ed

Post by NEOhio Ed »

Nice shooting!

I'm new here, and new to the Model 8, having just acquired one in a trade. It lacks a rear iron sight (currently sports an offset Weaver KV 5 on a Williams mount), and I was looking at the peep sights people have installed on these rifles. Does that one interfere with the grasp in any way? There is another one that attaches to the rear of the receiver, and doesn't fold down like that one.

Thanks …

NE Ohio Ed