JMB lever action Winchester 92 question

Talk about things other than the Model 8's and 81's
Adam Lee

JMB lever action Winchester 92 question

Post by Adam Lee »

Guys -

there's a 44-40 20" barrel Model 92 in the LGS on consignment - could be as low as 700 dollars. No idea on vintage, but this 92 is solid but evenly worn blue to just steel. No active rust. what I have no idea of is date - didn't get serial - ideas? I know these were made 1892-1941.

Roger? Carl? Anyone?

this thing looks old - 1920's maybe older.

Adam
I am a regular joe, consisting of 78% coffee, 12% hot air, 9% organizational abilities, and 1% luck.
Phyrbird

Re: JMB lever action Winchester 92 question

Post by Phyrbird »

Adam, I'm not your guy on Winchesters. I've always been a pump or Semi auto fan for decades.
Good luck with the '92; I understand the 44/40 was an impressive round. A side note I seem to recall bore diameters varied some. Kinda like pistol bores for 45 cal revolvers.
Phyrbird
SOKY
Adam Lee

Post by Adam Lee »

Thanks Carl - I think Roger is one of the Winchester guys, I should prob'ly email him direct.

My new 16" Rossi 92 is gonna be so fun....matched up with my new/old Ruger Security Six....the .38/.357 combo I've been dreaming about - finally coming together!

Adam
I am a regular joe, consisting of 78% coffee, 12% hot air, 9% organizational abilities, and 1% luck.
mr mike

Post by mr mike »

Read your post on the Winchesterr 1892 model.. I'm no expert but I do own a '92 manufactured in 1894. Purchased from family of original owner, I realy love it. With regard to age / vntage, no real way to tell without serial number. If you can obtain serial send off a request to
Cody Firearms Museum / Buffalo Bill Historical Center
720 Sheridan Avenue
Cody, Wy 82414
They have all of Winchesters factory records and for thirty bucks or so will forward you a notarized letter with all the factory info available including date it came off the line and date shipped from factory.
I can tell you that the standard rifle barrel length was 24 inch'es. The standard carbine barrel was 20 inches. The standard rifle and carbine barrel was round. Octagonal rifle barrels were available on special order. As the octagonal barrel was still considered to be stronger than the round barrel as late as the turn of the 20th century, the octagonal barrel will predominate on early rifles

An excellent reference work for the model 1892 is " Winchester Lver Action Repeating Firearms Vol #2
the model of 1886 and 1892" written by Arthur Pirkle
To order, write or call North Cape Publications INC / PO Box 1027 / Tustin Ca. 92781
800-745-9714

By the way that $700.00 price for your rifle brings something to mind from my records. According to the Montgomery Ward catalog no. 56 of 1894 -1895. round barrel, 20 inch carbines in 32, 38, and 44 WCF calibers sold new for $10.90. My 24 inch barrel rifle with Octagon barrel sold new for $11.86

Hope this helps, good luck
Mike Turner
Adam Lee

Post by Adam Lee »

Thanks for the info Mike, I have not been able to get out to the LGS to see if the gun is indeed still there - even after lots of emails and phone calls. Guess customer service isn't as great as it could be!

Adam