.357 lever action AND bolt actions - what say ye?

Talk about things other than the Model 8's and 81's
Adam Lee

.357 lever action AND bolt actions - what say ye?

Post by Adam Lee »

Guys,
I've been hankering for a while to get a lever .357 and match it up with a wheelgun .357. Steering towards a Rossi/Puma 92 clone but I know there's a wide spread of thoughts on that.
Regardless....I know that Ruger makes a 77/357 bolt rifle, with a 5-round rotary mag, that really appeals to me also.
Any folks on this board have some feedback on any of these guns?

I've darn near figured that the .357/.38 Special revolver/carbine combo might be the perfect "preparedness" combo. Least for me.....

Adam Lee
I am a regular joe, consisting of 78% coffee, 12% hot air, 9% organizational abilities, and 1% luck.
Phyrbird

Re: .357 lever action AND bolt actions - what say ye?

Post by Phyrbird »

Personally I like the Puma, except for the lack of scope mount screw holes. :oops: (action opens at the top) My caliber of choice is however 454Casull, 45 colt fits in there too. :geek: And the calibers match up with 460 S&W they all fit the XVR. Ruger convertible also has 45Colt chambering. This versatility makes for lots of options. The S&W Governor makes a good carry revolver. :ugeek:
Note I took my first deer at 41 paces with the Ruger, one shot, knocked the doe 90 degrees, dropped like a rock. Over 200# B4 dressing. 8-)
P.S> a bowling pin makes lots of fun with the Puma, they just don't last very long. :lol:
Phyrbird
SOKY
Adam Lee

Post by Adam Lee »

Carl,

I like your .45 ideas too - now, the reason I'm on the .357/.38 Special tangent is that "at some point" there will be some bullet interchange reloading with my .35 Remingtons....which is a really neat thing.

.35Rem Model 8, 81, 14, and 141.....sharing projectiles across the 9mm/.38/.357 family!

Thanks for looking in.

Adam
I am a regular joe, consisting of 78% coffee, 12% hot air, 9% organizational abilities, and 1% luck.
Adam Lee

Post by Adam Lee »

Forgot to add the fact that another .35 gun I crave is something in .35 Whelen. That would be fun. Then I will have all sorts of .35-related guns to occupy my "baby steps" towards reloading!

Adam
mart

Post by mart »

I have a Rossi in 45 Colt and really like it. They are a solid little gun. Marbles makes a nice windage adjustable tang sight for them. I bought one but haven't installed it yet.

You will love the 35 Whelen. I could hunt the rest on my life with nothing else for big game. Whoa! That thought just made a cold chill run up my spine. Who would want to hunt with one gun the rest of their life? I better go lay down for a while till this fever passes.

Seriously, the 35 Whelen is one of the greats. I've killed three caribou with mine and all three were thoroughly flattened.

I like the rifle/handgun same caliber concept. I have a couple of such set ups, a Rossi 45 Colt and Ruger Bisley and Redhawk in 45 colt and a Ruger 44 carbine coupled with a Ruger Bisley and a Herters Powermag 44.

You could have a lot of fun with a 357 rifle/handgun combo.
Phyrbird

Post by Phyrbird »

My brother has one of the Marlins and seems to like it. Not a lot of range, and he uses a R760 30-06 for deer, but it matches well with his Dan Wesson. Be aware we can load heavier bullets in 357 and then they can be too long to feed in the lever actions. They can be very cool with up the spout loading.
Note: don't use any 9mm (.356) bullets in our 35Rem rifles, especially the Marlin Microgroove barrels. They may not engage enough of the lands.
Phyrbird
SOKY
Adam Lee

Post by Adam Lee »

Phyrbird wrote:Note: don't use any 9mm (.356) bullets in our 35Rem rifles, especially the Marlin Microgroove barrels. They may not engage enough of the lands.
true - when I made the 9mm/35 comment, I wasn't specific enough - I was thinking probably of how the FN version of the Model 8 was referred to as "9mm" in the European translation of the .35Rem cartridge case....

wow. school is taking the life outta me lately!

Adam
norm

Post by norm »

Adam, Those pistol caliber carbines are fun. Especially with a matching caliber handgun. Trick is to find a load that shoots well in both. I have a 41 Magnum combination and the RCBS 41-210 SWC shoots well in both but the SWC does not feed well int the Marlin 1894 carbine. I'm still looking for a rounded ogive with a flat point mold.
Adam Lee

Post by Adam Lee »

Well, it looks like the .357 wheelgun was located - just found out I won a '73 Security Six 4"bbl Ruger. Plain Jane, blued and original. Now, to decide where to go for what type of aftermarket grips!

Adam