Thoughts on Ruger .357 GP 100's, Six Series vs. any S&W .357

Talk about things other than the Model 8's and 81's
Adam Lee

Thoughts on Ruger .357 GP 100's, Six Series vs. any S&W .357

Post by Adam Lee »

Guys,

I am in the market (have been for a little while) to acquire a .357 revolver. Prefer practicality versus "tacticool" guns these days....anyway, never owned a revolver (scratch that, guess I did have a little .22 Iver Johnson way back) and from what I gather, there is less "love" for the varied S&W .357 iterations than there seems to be for the Ruger Speed Six/Security Six/GP-100 guns.

Not that I have a bias, just want a solid performing gun that will eat .38SPL/.357Mag and not tend to have repair needs over time.
I had been all geared up for a decent used Taurus 65 or 66, when I had some advice on avoiding Smiths in general and thinking about GP-100's or the Six Series Rugers.

Sarge? Anyone?

thanks folks!
Adam Lee

(back at work since school just started again....but at least I got to shoot my guns a little this summer!)
I am a regular joe, consisting of 78% coffee, 12% hot air, 9% organizational abilities, and 1% luck.
mr mike

Re: Thoughts on Ruger .357 GP 100's, Six Series vs. any S&W

Post by mr mike »

Mr Lee, Saw your post and thought to send you a quick note. Your search for a .357 / 38 SPL revolver
struck a bell with me. You mention "tactiCool" hand guns, not sure if I follow you on that term.

Anyway thought i 'd pass this along for what its worth. I'm not an expert by any means, not much for hunting, just enjoy guns and shooting. About two years ago I got the urge to own a hand gun. I wanted one that my wife and I could shoot from time to time, thus relatively small and compact in size and could double as a protective weapon if the need arose. In searching around i came across a small revolver manufactured by Chiappa firearms in Italy called the Rhino. After reading extensively about it and going on line to view several videos about the gun, I was able to get my hands on one, fire it and really came to like it. Perhaps make that love it. I have the model with the two inch barrel, the Rhino 200DS. Pretty the gun is not. However, its one of the most well built guns I've come across. It fires the 357 magnum round as well as the 38 police special which is less expensive when going to the range. It's very compact for a revolver with its six round chamber manufactured in such a way as to be very compact and easy to carry in the excellent leather holster that comes with the gun. Meant to carry on your belt, its hardly seen when under a coat or long jacket. My gun came in double and single action but I think if you wanted only single action its available.
My wife who is of small asian stature handles this revolver quite readily. The really neat thing about this gun is the way it fires. Rather than fire the round at the top of the chamber it fires from the lower position. That puts the "thrust" line of recoil in line with your arm as you hold the weapon as opposed to a half inch or so above your arm as it would be in a colt or Ruger. There is almost no "flip" or recoil as you know it. Basically the gun comes straight back in your grip without that flip that revolvers have.
Even my small wife can fire two or three rounds without flinching and having to refocus her aim. You have to shoot it to believe it!. For quick reloading we use a Rhino magnum speed loader which lets you drop six rounds in the chamber with one movement. Pretty slick.
Now I don't know if this falls under the heading of "TactiCool" as you called out in your post. But we are both having a blast with this little pistol, and for protection when we are on the road, stowed in our RV with 357 hollow points, it meets the requirements for "back up" if push should ever come to shove.
If a revolver is what your looking at. I'd invite you to check into the compact Rhino pistol by Chiappa. If I'm not mistaken they come in two, four and six inch barrel lengths. As I said, It's probably not for everybody, but you may just like it as we do.
Almost forgot. In two years I guess we've put maybe three box's of ammo through the gun. Other then cleaning, there's been no issues what so ever. Chiappa has a facility in Ohio and i'm told if something were to arise thats where I would send it. Again, check it out. Maybe you'll like it!
with respects
Mr Mike
Adam Lee

Re: Thoughts on Ruger .357 GP 100's, Six Series vs. any S&W

Post by Adam Lee »

Mike,
I do appreciate your comments and information.

I took a look at the Chiappa Rhino and it is certainly interesting. The benefits of barrel below vs. above, the shape of the frame, and so on do warrant investigation. However, I am pretty dedicated to a Ruger but again that's just me.
Glad you like your .357 Chiappa - sounds like a good fit.

Adam
I am a regular joe, consisting of 78% coffee, 12% hot air, 9% organizational abilities, and 1% luck.