recently acquired original .32Rem ammo

Talk about things other than the Model 8's and 81's
Adam Lee

recently acquired original .32Rem ammo

Post by Adam Lee »

Guys,

I just took some pics of the vintage .32 Rem ammo I purchased recently. For this effort, I took two boxes of this ammo (already lacking the tops) and compared the rounds.

One thing I want to hear from you experts on older ammo, is approximate vintage of boxes and ammunition. It came to me described as 170 grain nickel-jacketed, don't know if that's really what it is - looks to me like 150 grain but hey I am not pulling bullets yet.

Also, comments on the primers would be good to hear. Notice that there is a difference between rounds in these two boxes - one type has a smaller "mushroom tip" versus the other - and one type has a copper primer with "U" , other is just silver/metal.

Thanks for any observations guys!
Adam

Three rounds on left - .300 Savage 1990's, then two modern reloads, the next four are from this old collection of .32 Rem.

older copper "U" primer rounds on left, later silver/metal primer rounds on right
Last edited by Adam Lee on Sun May 17, 2015 4:22 am, edited 2 times in total.
I am a regular joe, consisting of 78% coffee, 12% hot air, 9% organizational abilities, and 1% luck.
Adam Lee

Re: recently acquired original .32Rem ammo

Post by Adam Lee »

Sorry I forgot to locate a picture to include that displays the condition of most of the boxes this ammo came in. I will do that later when I can. Basically, they are all the plain tan boxes with the angled profile picture of a Model 14 pump rifle on the side. They had/have that red round label which tears in half when the tops are removed.

Not a single box had a lid, which is what I knew going in to the bidding.

Thanks for looking!
Adam
I am a regular joe, consisting of 78% coffee, 12% hot air, 9% organizational abilities, and 1% luck.
Adam Lee

Post by Adam Lee »

OK so I did get 11 boxes of this obsolete ammo. Most of it I have looked at has the silver-colored primer cups, but at least a few boxes are the copper "U" stamped cups.
Every bit of it is untarnished with corrosion or rust or anything - just slightly "browning" for lack of a better term.

Here are the boxes - again, as they came to me, without tops.

Adam

xtimberman

Post by xtimberman »

That's great-looking vintage .32 Rem. ammo, Adam.

Old-timers used to call the jacketed bullets with the broad exposed lead tip as "Blue Nose" bullets. They accounted for a lot of game!

You normally can't tell if they are loaded with 150gr. or 170gr. bullets without pulling a few examples and weighing - since both weight RN bullets were likely loaded to the same overall length by each individual manufacturer. After checking that, you can weigh the entire loaded cartridge of each different type to check for any 20 gr. anomalies.
norm

Post by norm »

Adam, Check the ammunition section on this site. Might help date your ammo. If before 1930 they might be corrosive primers. In that case clean the bore as if it was black powder.I don't know for sure when non-corrosive primers came into use but my fragile memory says late 1920's.
xtimberman

Post by xtimberman »

norm wrote:Adam, Check the ammunition section on this site. Might help date your ammo. If before 1930 they might be corrosive primers. In that case clean the bore as if it was black powder.I don't know for sure when non-corrosive primers came into use but my fragile memory says late 1920's.
I'm curious. Any notation on the boxes about non-corrosive primers?

The name "Kleanbore" was trademarked by REM-UMC in 1927:
https://trademarks.justia.com/712/38/kl ... 38874.html
Adam Lee

Post by Adam Lee »

After doing a little of my own research into this ammo online, as well as inspecting the variations/characteristics of the boxes and individual rounds in each, I noticed a few things that convince me I have ammo from two possible time frames.
They might be half 1916-1920's, and other half 1920's-1930's. The dates are purely based on very minimal research so far, but it has to do with when Remington and UMC merged - I am NOT completely "schooled" on this so bear with me and/or "school me" back!

Observations: First set of boxes/.32 ammo -
1. half the boxes are slightly differently stamped/labeled than the other half. Look at the two top photos to see a little of that. One set includes the red circle on the skinny side of the box, just above the nomenclature "32 Rem" etc.
2. same half with the red circles on the side show a torn label half which includes the text "not for reloading" (or something similar)
3. this selection also shows a profile of a Model 14 in "bold" with solid fill of black ink, not like a photo etching/woodcut
4. the rounds all have the copper "U" primers in this half
5. finally, this selection has brass which does NOT appear to be annealed. it does not look like it has the characteristic color of bluing or change in brass coloration at the shoulder/case neck.
6. also - early boxes "text" are in lower case format, i.e. "Remington Ammunition for....."

Observations: Second set of boxes/.32 ammo -
1. these do NOT have the red circle on the skinny side of the box, they just read ".32 Rem" etc.
2. The profile image of the Model 14 on the wide side is like a photo-engraving, showing detail in black ink NOT just solid fill
3. the torn label half on the wide side of the box does NOT include the warning about reloading spent cases
4. these rounds all have silver/metal colored plain unmarked primers
5. finally, these rounds all appear to be factory annealed - showing the characteristic bluing/color change in brass at the shoulder and case neck.
6. forgot to include that these "later" boxes are printed in all capital letter format, i.e. "REMINGTON AMMUNITION FOR..."

that's it for 6:00 am before my dog gets me to take her out for a long Sunday morning walk!!! :lol:
Adam
Roger

Post by Roger »

Hey Adam,
I don't know if you want my opinion on this or not,but I'm pretty sure that the two piece boxes are fairly rare. I don't know the vintage of these, but I think you made a good score here. Any 32 rem. ammo is now collectable. I buy it when I see it if I can afford it. If you decide to shoot any of it,then you can probably expect some cases will split,due to brittleness. You can pull the bullets and then anneal the brass to re-soften it before reloading it and shooting it. But this has been covered before on this forum. You just have to decide if it's worth more to you as reloading brass or as display pieces. My gunroom is loaded with old ammo on display. It's really up to you and Congrats on a great find. I also really think you made a great deal on your new rem. M-81
Thanks for your time,
Roger
Roger
raw4555@gmail.com
norm

Post by norm »

I just checked the chapter in Hatchers Notebook which covers priming compounds. He states Remington placed Kleanbore priming on the market in 1927 and was followed in short order by other brands and makes. Hatcher also states RWS was using non corrosive priming in 1901.
Adam Lee

Post by Adam Lee »

Roger, Norm,
thanks for your feedback.

Roger - I do appreciate your opinion on what to do with the ammo. For the price I paid, and the quality of the rounds - notwithstanding the boxes missing their lids - I was amazed at my luck. I think that was just plain honest, dumb luck on my part.
Now, what to do - my plan had been all along to cull just about 20 rounds for shooting and reloading, after selecting the newest (the silver metal primers) since they are obviously annealed brass. The "U" primered rounds do not appear to have been factory annealed, which matches some reading I did over the weekend. Apparently, factory annealed brass was not 100% until some point in the early/late 20's. Least that's what little I read about annealed brass.

Regardless, since the quality of every single round is high - with no marring, rust, oxidation, etc. to speak of - and the bottom halves of the boxes are fair to good condition - I know that I will not be shooting this stuff (exception to about 20 rounds perhaps) - so relax on that note.

I now have to figure a plan for dispersal of ammo that may be excess to my shooting and collecting needs, so that's later on once the school year is done. Suffice to say, there may soon enough be a source for those of you collecting ammo for your "Remington Rimless" display boards!
Stay tuned.

Back to the SOL testing nonsense.....ahhrgghhh!
Adam
Adam Lee

Post by Adam Lee »

Guys,

I'm selling two boxes of this old ammo. $120 for the two boxes of 20 rounds - I am selling only ammo that is 100% solid, no hairline fractures.

Let me know if anyone's interested! This is not on GB just here.

FWIW I enjoyed shooting 5 rounds of this ammo in my Model 14 this summer. School starts tomorrow and I am looking forward to touching base with you all again!

take care

Adam