new made Henry .22 pump versus waiting for old Model 12/24

Talk about things other than the Model 8's and 81's
Adam Lee

new made Henry .22 pump versus waiting for old Model 12/24

Post by Adam Lee »

Guys,

I am just thinking aloud here, and wondering what you all think. I am and have been interested in purchasing one of the various Henry rifles, mainly I like that the Big Boy series lever guns appeal to me. Also, and another main reason, made in America.

That being said, my actual first interest is in the modern/antique pump .22's they market. They've had mixed reviews on the web, but I again like their retro-appeal and US manufacture.
However, I could (and should) just as well hold out until I come across an old Remington Model 12 or 24. I do hope to acquire one of each eventually.

But back to the Henry pump .22's - any feedback from the collective?

Thanks.
Adam
I am a regular joe, consisting of 78% coffee, 12% hot air, 9% organizational abilities, and 1% luck.
Sarge756

Re: new made Henry .22 pump versus waiting for old Model 12/

Post by Sarge756 »

Adam,
I don`t want to stray too far from our forum`s purpose of discussing 8`s and 81`s but in this case I will for a moment. I do not own a Henry product at the moment but did have the occasion to have one apart and gain an impression of the high quality of the rifle and the "customer service" provided by their company. One of their 22 models was damaged heavily in a burglary at my favorite gunshop and the owner,a close friend, asked if I could repair it. The stock had been damaged with a pry tool and the magazine tube was bent but rest of the metal was unscathed. After disassembly I called Henry customer service and described the details to them.Learned that to replace the tube it would have to be press fitted at the factory. Rifle was boxed up, sent back and returned within 7 days, with new wood,replaced tube....and No Charge! Don`t know of many customer service outfits that operate like that these days. Emailed them our appreciation and the assurance that they had created an ambassador for their products . Have shot several of the Henry rifles that friends have bought and found them solid and accurate.Latest was a "Big Boy' in 44 Magnum that I scoped with an old Redfield 4 power. Nice groups at 100 yards.
Waiting for a 24 or 12 Remington is worthy too. They would both be desirable for a collection. For everyday shooting and a company that stands behind their products Henry would be hard to beat and like you said, Made in the USA.
Joe
".......ain't many troubles that a man cain't fix
With seven hundred dollars and a thirty ought six."