Is this a good book on reloading?

Talk about things other than the Model 8's and 81's
In The Ten Ring

Is this a good book on reloading?

Post by In The Ten Ring »

I'm hoping to build a reloading bench this summer and get tooled up. I've never reloaded but I have been saving up brass. What do you think of this book?

http://www.amazon.com/Beginners-Guide-R ... merReviews
Sarge756

Re: Is this a good book on reloading?

Post by Sarge756 »

Looks like it could be worth the asking price. Have not read it but appears to have decent reviews. Would be a good first step to add to the library. Others you might consider in addition......"NRA Reloading Guide"......" The Complete Book of Practical Handloading" ( John Wooters ) .......current reloading manuals from Hornady or Lyman and older editions of manuals from Lyman,Speer,Hornady,etc. that come up on Fleabay often.
".......ain't many troubles that a man cain't fix
With seven hundred dollars and a thirty ought six."
norm

Post by norm »

Have not read that book so can't comment on it. I can recomend the current Lee manual.and since I'm a bullet caster I'll suggest the current Lyman cast bullet manual. The Lee manual has more load data than any book I've seen. I got started handloading over 35 years ago with an RCBS Rockchucker kit. Several of the reloading tool manufacturers sell starter kits and they are a good buy. I won't recomend any specific brand. I have used dies from Lee,RCBS and Redding and all are satisfactory. When I built my first loading bench I did not have a lot of room so my bench was 4 feet wide and 2 feet deep. Thought I'd build a bigger one when I had more room. Got more room now but still use that same bench. Any questions you might have post them here and somebody will answer or pm me.
Bandersnatch

Post by Bandersnatch »

Should do. Pick up a copy of the Hornady manual. It has lots of good stuff in it.
I am the cat who walks by himself. And all places are alike to me.
In The Ten Ring

Post by In The Ten Ring »

Norm,

If I can get rid of (it'll go to Habitat for Humanity) a large dresser I have from the 1970's, I'll be able to build a sizeable bench.

I've heard good things about the Hornady manual....is the latest edition the best to get?

Will different brand dies work in any press? Ex: will RCBS dies work in a Lee single stage press?
Bandersnatch

Post by Bandersnatch »

RCBS will work in Lee machines. They were designed for single stage loading and using them in a progressive machine, a Dillon for example, takes a little thought. For instance, I use the seating die to seat only and have a separate crimp die so as to not over stress the brass.
I am the cat who walks by himself. And all places are alike to me.
norm

Post by norm »

Almost all dies and presses made today use 7/8 x 14 thread and will interchange. Lyman 310 dies have smaller thread something like 5/8 x 30 . There are bushings available so 310 dies can be used in a press threaded for 7/8 x 14. I do this mostly with the Lyman expanding chamber for flaring case mouths for loading cast bullets.I don't have the latest Hornady manual so can't comment on it.
norm

Post by norm »

Almost all dies and presses made today use 7/8 x 14 thread and will interchange. Lyman 310 dies have smaller thread something like 5/8 x 30 . There are bushings available so 310 dies can be used in a press threaded for 7/8 x 14. I do this mostly with the Lyman expanding chamber for flaring case mouths for loading cast bullets.I don't have the latest Hornady manual so can't comment on it.