Stripper clips

Talk about things other than the Model 8's and 81's
wanatim

Stripper clips

Post by wanatim »

Hay All, I have been reading some of you posts concerning stripper clips and the prices paid for clips for the 25.30.32 Rems. and it got me thinking. I shot high power for years and did it with a bolt gun using stripper clips for the reload in both .223 and 308. My model 81 300 savage runs great with standard GI stripper clips used to hold M2 ball ammo. (You will have to grind off the small "nubs" on the sides of some clips so they will fit in the clip slot) and will nicely hold 35 rem ammo. If the clip slot on the 35 rem rifles is the same size at the 300 I don't see why the wouldn't work.
The rim dia. on the 223 is very close to the Dia. of the 25/30/32 so I got out some 223 stripper clips the dreamel and ground away. After a very short time I had clips that will hold those three cartridges very nicely. Now that being said I don't have any 8/81 in these calibers to function test. With the availability of 223/5.56 strippers clips it might be something you guys might want to try. If you guys have already been there tried that, with no luck then....Never mind

Regards, Tim
curdog

Re: Stripper clips

Post by curdog »

The M1A/M14 clips seem to work with the 300 and 35 - they have the bump in the center, unlike Mauser/Springfield with two bumps which does not allow the stripper to get close enough to the magazine.

I tried prying open the .223 stripper clips for the smaller rounds, but the clip itself is not wide enough for the guide, and the whole lot goes down into the magazine.
wanatim

Re: Stripper clips

Post by wanatim »

Another trick to try. When shooters started using the .223 for high power the manufacturers were not quick on the uptake and the clip slots were sized for the 308. What we did was to glue/weld 223 stripper clips into 308 clips some times you had to do some file work to get the smaller clips into the opening of the 308 clip but when all finished they worked great.
Curdog, as mentioned in my first post grind off those bumps on the 30 cal clips and they will pass through the clip slot and rest on top of the magazine.