NEED rockwell hardness of Model 8 reciever?

Talk about things other than the Model 8's and 81's
penny39

NEED rockwell hardness of Model 8 reciever?

Post by penny39 »

Hello all,

I am in need of a Rockwell hardness reading for the receivers on the model 8. Does anyone have a source for finding this out or can someone test theirs and let me know.

I would really appreciate it.

Thanks.
DWalt

Re: NEED rockwell hardness of Model 8 reciever?

Post by DWalt »

What's the purpose? Hardness is not likely to be common knowledge, and someone would need access to a good machine shop that has a Rockwell hardness tester. Not many have one in their garage. I have been trying to get similar information on some revolver parts, but with no luck. I used to have access to a hardness tester and knew how to use it, but not now.
penny39

Post by penny39 »

I wanted to know what was standard on these oldies to see what's safe to fire. I know most people don't have access to a tester…but I figured I'd ask. I am particularly interested in receiver hardness.
Sarge756

Post by Sarge756 »

We have had several discussions here as to "safe" loads for the 8/81`s .Invite you to review past posts on the subject. Bottom line was that these old girls are pretty tough and you would have to give it a good try at being foolish by feeding them "overloads" to have a failed receiver. "Modern" ammunition in 300 Savage and 35 Remington are well within the pressure limits of these rifles. The obsolete calibers .25,30,and 32 Remington when loaded with correct bullet and powder to specs are also safe to shoot.
As Dewalt pointed out, a Rockwell hardness tester is not a piece of equipment that is common outside of a well equipped machine shop. Unless you have a brother-in law that owns one it would involve some expense to obtain this information. Would think that with the membership posts here and the experience of thousands of rounds down range between us that you would be better served spending the money on ammo.

Joe
".......ain't many troubles that a man cain't fix
With seven hundred dollars and a thirty ought six."
penny39

Post by penny39 »

Thanks much. I am sure these old gals are as tough as they come...when used not abused. I would hate to see one of these great model 8s abused. Such an icon. As with other old firearms I know it is a wise safety precaution to test them for hardness/head space/barrel strength before shooting for the first time as a new owner. I would hate to fire a rifle that had been through incorrect bluing methods like "oil heat bluing" and such which ruins the integrity of the metal. Ya never can tell what a firearm has been through in 100 or so years. My model 8(first one) is a 1906 35. It was in "original" condition and had a few signs of neglect and misuse. All ship shape now though...I hope. I gave her a new firing pin and main spring which were both broken....and cleaned it thoroughly. I did some oil heat bluing on small parts and a bit of the reciever....just wanted to make sure it isn't annealed too badly. In which case I will send it out to be hardened. Warping is an issue but can be rectified with proper blocking and refitting.
DWalt

Post by DWalt »

Note that the receiver itself is not under much stress at firing, because the bolt locks into a barrel extension. Any failure would occur there, not in the receiver. Actually, the Model 8/81 mechanism could probably have been designed to work inside an aluminum receiver, somewhat like the M16 does.
penny39

Post by penny39 »

Ah....I see. So if anything would need checking it's the barrel extension and the bolt that locks into it.

thanks. ;)
DWalt

Post by DWalt »

Of course, you could check the hardness anywhere, but what of value would that tell you? There is a fairly linear relationship between steel hardness and tensile strength, but how can you know what the tensile strength should be without having original factory specs?
penny39

Post by penny39 »

yeah...factory specs would be nice. Anyone have access to those? But an unmolested or functioning one would be the correct or close enough hardness.
Sarge756

Post by Sarge756 »

penny39 wrote:yeah...factory specs would be nice. Anyone have access to those? But an unmolested or functioning one would be the correct or close enough hardness.
The hardness would more than likely not be close but well above anything pressure wise you would likely subject it to. If you are referring to factory specs i.e. ammo, then any of the factory rounds currently offered in 35 Remington and 300 Savage would suffice including the Hornady Leverevolution ammunition. For load data for those two, any modern reloading manual would include them.For the obsolete calibers 25,30 and 32 an older reloading manual would have to be consulted or you might do an online search. The 30 Remington however is loaded identical to the 30-30 Winchester. If you would advise what chambering your rifle is I`m sure you would have a response as to load data that is safe for it.
Joe
".......ain't many troubles that a man cain't fix
With seven hundred dollars and a thirty ought six."
penny39

Post by penny39 »

thanks. Loads would most definitely be to specs. I was referring to the actual receiver itself.
DWalt

Post by DWalt »

Yes, the specs I mentioned would be the hardness/tensile strengths of the gun parts. Unless original manufacturing component drawings were available, I don't know how that information could be obtained.

I don't believe there is much to be gained by proceeding any further.
S and S HUNTCLUB

Post by S and S HUNTCLUB »

Hello, We can't speak to the Rockwell hardness of the receivers on the Remington Model 8's...

But on the Scoville Scale, the Remington Model 8's and 81's are the "Hottest" Vintage Remington's ever produced!

If you're using the Model 8's and 81's to hunt Whitetails, we suggest using the 35 Rem. or .300 Savage caliber to add a little more heat to the experience!!!

Enjoy Life, Bob & Jeff @ S and S HUNTCLUB