New ammo. Is this stuff real?

Talk about things other than the Model 8's and 81's
ROBOPUMP

New ammo. Is this stuff real?

Post by ROBOPUMP »

I had this sent to me by a friend that is a big 45 ACP fan.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=skFhKtCo5aE

This may challenge the theory that bigger is better. Watch that watermelon blow up with a 9mm. Just think, that could be ME or HIM. Maybe a 25 or 32 can be effective now. I love those vintage vest pocket pistols.

ROB
In The Ten Ring

Re: New ammo. Is this stuff real?

Post by In The Ten Ring »

People aren't watermelons and most attackers are on drugs. Most everything I have read (and pros in the field I have spoken with) feel that 38 Special and 9mm Parabellum are the minimum capable of having enough penetration to reach the vital organs with much regularity. Even then, they are not always enough to win the fight in time.

All that said, for years I carried a .22 Magnum for backup but then began to call it my "loud knife" since that's about all it is. Nowadays, my backup is a .38 Special and my EDC is .45 ACP.

This "RIP" ammo was debated furiously on FB, www.1911forum.com, and many others (I'm sure). The concensus was that it is too light, sheds too much mass to have adequate penetration, and might really screw anyone who used it in a defensive shooting (before a jury that is). The videos alone make it look as if the user wants to do more harm than just "neutralize the threat." But I do admit, the videos are rather amazing.