6.5 Grendel, 6.8 SPC, .300AAC - daydreamin'!

Talk about things other than the Model 8's and 81's
Adam Lee

6.5 Grendel, 6.8 SPC, .300AAC - daydreamin'!

Post by Adam Lee »

Blame it on Cam.....!!

Cam, your hunt pics from the "Victories" thread and your 6.5 Grendel really sent me into a research & reading tangent.
Wow. All I can say - now, I want to build a black rifle in any of these loadings - who can resist the temptations?
6.5 Grendel, 6.8 SPC, now .300 AAC all available and work well in the AR platform.

OK, now I gotta work on my '08 Model 8 to compensate....hope to get out and shoot with Dave (Racin Junkie) at a state WMA over winter break.

Adam
I am a regular joe, consisting of 78% coffee, 12% hot air, 9% organizational abilities, and 1% luck.
81police

Re: 6.5 Grendel, 6.8 SPC, .300AAC - daydreamin'!

Post by 81police »

Adam Lee I've only begun to tempt you! The 6.5 Grendel may be an intermediate cartridge, but it's a killing machine! My father & I take between 30-35 hogs a year with rifles on our lease, here's a select few of them that have fell to the hum of various 6.5's. No high fences here, no hog traps, and no senderos!
Attachments
P1020239 copy.jpg
P1020239 copy.jpg (290.1 KiB) Viewed 20041 times
P1020258 copy.jpg
P1020258 copy.jpg (262.9 KiB) Viewed 20041 times
IMGP0579.JPG
IMGP0579.JPG (157.37 KiB) Viewed 20041 times
Cam Woodall
Site Co-Administrator
81police

Post by 81police »

a few more...
Attachments
DSC09673 copy.jpg
DSC09673 copy.jpg (364.18 KiB) Viewed 20040 times
DSC09675.JPG
DSC09675.JPG (196.19 KiB) Viewed 20040 times
DSC09841 copy11.jpg
DSC09841 copy11.jpg (328.8 KiB) Viewed 20042 times
Cam Woodall
Site Co-Administrator
81police

Post by 81police »

and a few more...
Attachments
DSC09925.JPG
DSC09925.JPG (175.08 KiB) Viewed 20041 times
P1020271 copy.jpg
P1020271 copy.jpg (234.71 KiB) Viewed 20041 times
Cam Woodall
Site Co-Administrator
Adam Lee

Post by Adam Lee »

Looks like you all have been having lots of fun and success with the 6.5 Grendel - nice work! Man, all the reading I've been doing about the various AR-related "special rounds" has me dizzy.

Best of all, I like to blame it on the Model 8 - and 81! Remington got it all started with their .30 Rem case "redux" of the .30-30. OK, I know that's a BIG generalization, but hey it's just a thought!

So, to recap: ALL the "new" AR-related rounds are meant to function with "traditional" M-16 type magazines, correct? Not only that, everything I've read indicates that these "new-gen" rounds have a plethora of reloading options. Way cool.

Not to bore yall, but please add feedback for any/all of these current offerings for the AR-platform guns:

6.5 Grendel, 6.8 SPC, .300 BLK (.300 AAC), .300 Whisper

Thanks Cam, for reminding me of Texas' incredibly overpopulated feral hog status! Virginia is getting there, too! Killing these critters is just as necessary as the deer, IMHO. Both deer and wild hogs are extremely detrimental to our "shared" environment - you can't hunt enough of them.

On that note - what do you and your dad do with the carcasses? Just curious.

Thanks! Adam
I am a regular joe, consisting of 78% coffee, 12% hot air, 9% organizational abilities, and 1% luck.
81police

Post by 81police »

Let me first state, I'm no expert on any of these rounds!

I believe the 6.5G and 6.8SPC are nearly identical inside 300 yards, stretch them out and the 6.5 will retain more velocity & muzzle energy at extended ranges. So ballistically the Grendel is slightly superior.

That being said, the 6.8 has the advantage in popularity and availability of components. The 6.8 offers a lot more variety in factory ammo.

But you know, different calibers fare better in regions and terrains. I've heard a lot of good things about the 300BLK too.

Regarding hogs, since their carcasses have a tendency to scare deer, we usually drag them off and leave them for various scavengers. It's not uncommon for a 200lb hog to be gone overnight. We ate one of the first ones we shot, but haven't done so since. Just found out a local meat processor will do hogs for $90 so we're thinking about trying them out. If a nice boar is taken, I like to remove the head and make a nice trophy out of the skull.
Cam Woodall
Site Co-Administrator
imfuncity

Post by imfuncity »

Yup, I'm blaming Cam too!! Just plain mean to bring up "another one" and send us off checking it out.

As an aside... a highly respected old (cantankerous) local butcher mixes a bit of domestic pig with the wild hog - don't know his ratio. I haven't had the opportunity to tried it but his customers swear by it.
Though defensive violence will always be “a sad necessity” in the eyes of men of principle, it would be still more unfortunate if wrongdoers should dominate just men. - St. Augustine
jack1653

Post by jack1653 »

Hey Guys,

I just as well jump on the bandwagon and blame 81police. I would have thought he would know better than to tempt me by now. ;) If that bullet is as great as he says it is, I think I'll explore the possibility of converting one of 81's to see if I can reach out and dust one at 300 yards. :lol: :lol: What do you think? I have been looking for another project and this might fill the bill or blow the heck out of a good 81. :o :o :o

Regards,

jack1653
jack1653

Post by jack1653 »

Hey Guys,

I forgot to add a comment about imfuncity's post about eating wild hog. They eat pretty darn good as far as I am concerned. My Dad was a butcher among many of his jobs and he taught me the way to process domestic meat and wild game from the field to the freezer. I process a couple pigs every year and give some of it to my buddies. They all say it is good. :D

I will say that I typically don't process the big old boars like Cam and his Dad shoot. They can be rather rank when cooking. I would also say that I process pigs that are killed and dropped on the spot with a good head shot and not those who may have to be tracked where the adrenaline can dramatically affect the taste of the meat. Getting the blood out of any animal quickly will make the meat better. I have found that some of the best pig eating are those that are 40-60 pounds and can be cooked whole on the grill. Mighty good for a pig-picking. :P

Regards,

jack1653
imfuncity

Post by imfuncity »

And on top all of that... now I'm getting hungry and the cook is out of town for the week!! Cam, you sure are a pain. :P :twisted:
Though defensive violence will always be “a sad necessity” in the eyes of men of principle, it would be still more unfortunate if wrongdoers should dominate just men. - St. Augustine
81police

Post by 81police »

just call me the "Pigman" :D

Now Mitch, after 40+ years of marriage, that wife of yours hasn't taught you how to cook yet?! hahaha

Jack...the 6.8SPC is based off the 30 Remington case if that puts any ideas in your head. ;)
Cam Woodall
Site Co-Administrator
Roger

Post by Roger »

Hey fellow members,
The only thing that's held me back on developing a 6.8spc model 8 or 81 is lack of funds,and lack of time.In a prior post I made,I talked about some machinists ,here in central Iowa,who are interested in the project. They hand build competition target rifles for a living. They know their work pretty well. Hey Jack, if you want to pursue this project ,I'm definitely on board. I can even provide the test rifle if need be. But there are alot of ballistic type questions that will need to be answered. Some members have talked about these aspects before.Anyways, time will tell if it's feasible.
Thanks for your time,
Roger
Roger
raw4555@gmail.com
Adam Lee

Post by Adam Lee »

Roger wrote:Hey fellow members,
The only thing that's held me back on developing a 6.8spc model 8 or 81 is lack of funds,and lack of time.In a prior post I made,I talked about some machinists ,here in central Iowa,who are interested in the project. They hand build competition target rifles for a living. They know their work pretty well. Hey Jack, if you want to pursue this project ,I'm definitely on board. I can even provide the test rifle if need be. But there are alot of ballistic type questions that will need to be answered. Some members have talked about these aspects before.Anyways, time will tell if it's feasible.
Thanks for your time,
Roger
Roger, isn't one of the issues to deal with the shorter case length of the 6.8 SPC? I am by no means a reloader - just a "reader" at the present time. But I am very interested in the discussion!

Adam
imfuncity

Post by imfuncity »

Sign me up too... where do I send a m8 30Rem to get it "fixed"? :D

(Pretty sure I'd burn H2O trying to get it to boil.)
Roger

Post by Roger »

Hey guys,
It will take a new chamber/barrel combination. Our discussions here in Iowa have been about whether it would be cheaper/easier to re-sleeve and build a new barrel extension,or a completely new barrel/extension combo.
Either way,it's gonna be costly,and for what return? I just haven't got the time or money right this minute for it. But I'm pretty sure ,these former marines,can do what needs to be done.If we could convince them that this conversion would sell,they might consider doing it for less money.
Thanks,
Roger
Roger
raw4555@gmail.com
imfuncity

Post by imfuncity »

Do love pipe dreams...

And there is this, for any of that left over Christmas pocket cash: http://www.24hourcampfire.com/ubbthread ... ost8351485
Roger

Post by Roger »

Hopefully,this will be more than a pipedream.
Roger
Roger
raw4555@gmail.com
Adam Lee

Post by Adam Lee »

Roger & Co.,

Here's a quick pic showing the relationship in case/cartridge dimensions between original .30 Rem, new 6.8 SPC, and 5.56mm rounds. Clearly evident that the 6.8 SPC case is going to necessitate a completely new chamber or barrel extension at least for it to work with our 8's - as you noted, Roger. Boy would it be something, though!

Adam Lee

Post by Adam Lee »

Cam,
it's been a while since I started this thread and I had a new couple questions for you.

Prices on all lowers, regardless of material (aluminum/polymer/etc) are so cheap that I'm tempted to buy one or two just to get a project going.

Questions: are the considerations for a 6.5 Grendel build related purely to the upper configuration - nothing in terms of a "generic" lower have an effect? Mag well is same - just inner mag parts different?

thanks.
Adam
81police

Post by 81police »

Adam, any standard lower will work. As you mentioned, only change in the lower will be the magazine itself (6.5 or 6.8 specific).

A cool project for a gunsmith would be a Model 81 in 30Rem converted to 6.8SPC
Cam Woodall
Site Co-Administrator
Adam Lee

Post by Adam Lee »

81police wrote:Adam, any standard lower will work. As you mentioned, only change in the lower will be the magazine itself (6.5 or 6.8 specific).

A cool project for a gunsmith would be a Model 81 in 30Rem converted to 6.8SPC
For the Grendel 6.5 you use, which mags have you had luck with? I've read a bunch, just wondering what "real world" data is out there on mags that work.

For example, some folks say that stock GI mags work but your round count is simply reduced; others say no - since the case profile is more "stout" like a 7.62x39 case (which is sorta what it is anyway based on the .220 Russian)

So - what say ye?

thanks. Just a magazine sorta question I guess.

Adam
81police

Post by 81police »

The magazine difference between 5.56 and 6.5 is like you said, the later is built beefier.

I have both ASC and Alexander Arms brand mags. Both work good. I don't use the larger mags because they get in the way while hunting, so I use the ASC 15-round magazine afield with an AA 10-round as a backup in my pack. But if you want the larger capacity, I hear the new 24-round "E Lander" mags from Alexander Arms are some of the best.

http://www.ammosc.com/6-5-grendel-15-rd-magazine/

http://www.shopalexanderarms.com/Parts_ ... zines.html
Cam Woodall
Site Co-Administrator
Adam Lee

Post by Adam Lee »

Thanks for the tips, Cam. With the prices as low as they are on any AR lowers, I got to buy one or two for a future build.

And I've really liked what I've learned about 6.5 Grendel ballistics, performance, and such.

Adam
Adam Lee

Post by Adam Lee »

Cam,
Any knowledge on the Sabre 6.5 Grendel upper? It's an M-4 profile with pinned flash hider, so it's a 14.5" bbl made legally into a 16" length.

Looking into my pre-built options to get my arf-15/Anderson going sooner rather than later....

thanks!
Adam
81police

Post by 81police »

I don't know anything about Sabre Defense quality (I believe they're out of business now), but for the price it's hard to beat Alexander Arms uppers. For $735-792 you can get complete 6.5 uppers (16" or 18") which include a bolt carrier group and charging handle.

http://www.shopalexanderarms.com/Uppers ... embly.html

http://www.shopalexanderarms.com/Uppers ... Upper.html
Cam Woodall
Site Co-Administrator
Adam Lee

Post by Adam Lee »

81police wrote:I don't know anything about Sabre Defense quality (I believe they're out of business now), but for the price it's hard to beat Alexander Arms uppers. For $735-792 you can get complete 6.5 uppers (16" or 18") which include a bolt carrier group and charging handle.

http://www.shopalexanderarms.com/Uppers ... embly.html

http://www.shopalexanderarms.com/Uppers ... Upper.html
Cam,
it would make sense to visit Alexander Arms, after all - wouldn't it? Go right to the source!
Thanks for the dollar reality check. I really don't have a benchmark yet on the upper kits, nor the individual components.

Adam
81police

Post by 81police »

If you have any other questions ask away...I just can't guarantee I'll have the answers though ;)
Cam Woodall
Site Co-Administrator
Adam Lee

6.5 Grendel build Q's

Post by Adam Lee »

Hey guys. This is in the "general" folder since it's nothing to do with Model 8s/81s...

Building an arf-15 for the first time - after owning a Colt HBAR back in the day, I couldn't help myself now that lowers are so cheap! Got an Anderson lower and a parts kit, now on to the buffer/tube/and spring selection.

I will be building a 6.5 Grendel upper for hunting/target shooting; also plan on a 5.56 upper for play/target shooting also. With those parameters, and so many buffer/tube/spring combos out there, I'd like some honest recommendations as far as what tubes/buffers/springs etc are good to go. FYI, my buttstock is an empty (no tube) Magpul MOE carbine stock.

I see no need to save a ton of weight, quite the opposite - with my antique Remington Model 8/81's and 14, anything under 10 pounds is light to me!

I'll probably be asking more arf-15 questions soon 'nuff!

thanks
Adam
81police

Post by 81police »

I'm running a JP silent capture spring, not anything smoother out there. I also run a JP low mass bolt carrier, that combination (along with a small frame Bennie Cooley brake) makes the gun "kick like a 223, but hit like a 243"

http://www.midwayusa.com/product/316607 ... ring-ar-15
Cam Woodall
Site Co-Administrator
Adam Lee

Post by Adam Lee »

81police wrote:I'm running a JP silent capture spring, not anything smoother out there. I also run a JP low mass bolt carrier, that combination (along with a small frame Bennie Cooley brake) makes the gun "kick like a 223, but hit like a 243"

http://www.midwayusa.com/product/316607 ... ring-ar-15
Cam, sorry to take so long in replying to your feedback.
Thanks for your advice on the JP setup - this is exactly like a comment one of my local go-to guys made at a gun show recently in the same sort of conversation, although it may have been a different brand.

This same guy in my circle of gun show buddies has got several interesting "irons in the fire" so to speak with arf-15 projects.
Big bore stuff, mini-carbines, funky calibers I know nothing about, muzzle brakes & silencers are his thing.
.358W, .458S, .460Rowland, man this guy is fun to bounce ideas off of when it comes to arf-15 stuff.
(He's recently retired military contractor with lots of open land....!)

take care, I will be back with more Q's soon as I get settled into summer next week - Tuesday is my first day on summer break from fifth grade! Hooah!

Adam
Adam Lee

Post by Adam Lee »

Cam, other arf-15 guys in the 6.5 Grendel realm, what do you think of this upper?

http://www.jsesurplus.com/CUSTOM20DOUBL ... LLHGB.aspx

thanks
Adam
81police

Post by 81police »

Adam, I think that is a very fair priced upper, can't say I've seen many others near that price range. I bet it's heavy though w/ that 20" bull barrel.

This is my current setup. It's a JP Enterprise upper w/ reverse contour 18" barrel. Don't know the exact weight but it's a pretty light gun.

Cam Woodall
Site Co-Administrator
Phyrbird

Post by Phyrbird »

Lookout :!: :!: Is this a new virus? A mutation that would be called CamItis :?: :?:

by the by, I am impressed our Bros are also interested in possible versatility of our ladies. Cool Stuff...
Phyrbird
SOKY