research question: firearms used by state/local LE

Talk about things other than the Model 8's and 81's
Adam Lee

research question: firearms used by state/local LE

Post by Adam Lee »

Guys,

My google-fu is weak. Perhaps the collective will place more power into my google searching research topic.

My interest in the firearms used from 1900-1940 by local and state law enforcement, specifically Virginia state troopers and local county sheriffs and town/county/city police has got me a bit stumped.

I'm looking for ideas on how to create search parameters for such a topic as well as ideas on where to go on the "interwebs" that may prove fruitful.

My Virginia LE interest is focused on their use of our favorite old firearms, the Model 8 and 81, 14 and 141, Model 10 and 11, and their related brethren from John Browning and John Pedersen patents. These include Savage/Stevens Model 520, 520A, 620, 720, and 755. Also, I am sure LE use of Remington Model 51 and Savage Model 1907 pistols, even in .380 and .32, could have occurred, although probably not via department purchases but rather privately as back-up guns.

It would be very helpful if anybody here has some ideas on how to look for ideas. One thing I thought may be for me to contact, via email, a state police historian either working on staff at VA state police, or privately.

Also, the NRA's NFM research division may be of help, since after all their HQ is about 5 miles from me in Fairfax County.

OK, as you can read, I am transitioning towards "summer hobby time" as I prepare myself for the final 2 days of teaching this school term.

Only thing I'm NOT looking forward to? Monday morning a week from now. That's when I scheduled my dental appointment to have a gol-darned wisdom tooth to be removed. Really not happy about that! Why I only had one removed 30 years ago is beyond me. Oh well, pain killers are going to be my friend for a while afterwards.

Take it easy, all - Adam
I am a regular joe, consisting of 78% coffee, 12% hot air, 9% organizational abilities, and 1% luck.
imfuncity

Re: research question: firearms used by state/local LE

Post by imfuncity »

That's when I scheduled my dental appointment to have a gol-darned "wisdom" tooth to be removed. Really not happy about that! Why I only had one removed 30 years ago is beyond me.
Hum... better to have been a half-wit all these years then a no-wit? Just say'n... after all you ask. :roll:
Though defensive violence will always be “a sad necessity” in the eyes of men of principle, it would be still more unfortunate if wrongdoers should dominate just men. - St. Augustine
DWalt

Post by DWalt »

Lots of luck. About the only thing I could suggest is to contact the VA state police (whatever they are called there) to see if they have a historian. Often, large LE organizations will have someone who acts as an official or unofficial department historian who might be able to help. But I wouldn't expect much. Regarding city police departments or county sheriffs, it's doubtful that there was ever much uniformity in armament. Very large city police departments (NYC, Chicago, etc.) may be more formalized regarding weaponry than small cities or towns, or counties. I have a second home in a small sparsely-populated rural county in Texas, and the deputies there (there are no other police, other than the Texas DPS) carry pretty much whatever guns they want. They don't even wear what I would call a uniform - Just a uniform shirt, blue jeans and cowboy hats and boots. Maybe it's different in Virginia.
Joe Kent

Post by Joe Kent »

I applaud your effort , but also think it will be a daunting task. The problem is that most or the guns you are interested in were most likely sold, traded, or destroyed in the late 60's or early 70's and the officers who would remember have been retired for at least 20 years or in some cases 40 years or more. For a very brief time in college {late 60's} I served on a metro dept. and we were in the process of trading 5 Marlin 36's and 5 Rem. Model 141's. The Dept. had already traded the Win. 351"s. You may ,however , have some success by contacting the different state police hdqtrs. and seeing if they have a police museum and then contact the curator. I know the MO. State Police have a pretty good museum at Jefferson City, Mo. at the patrol's academy. Again best of luck, Joe.
Adam Lee

Post by Adam Lee »

imfuncity wrote:That's when I scheduled my dental appointment to have a gol-darned "wisdom" tooth to be removed. Really not happy about that! Why I only had one removed 30 years ago is beyond me.
Hum... better to have been a half-wit all these years then a no-wit? Just say'n... after all you ask. :roll:
OK, Mitch - I'll accept that terrible joke from you. Especially since the brown box of happiness arrived yesterday - 'nuff said!

Email inbound, and thanks x10!

Adam
I am a regular joe, consisting of 78% coffee, 12% hot air, 9% organizational abilities, and 1% luck.
jim8008

Post by jim8008 »

In the 1960's, Deputy Fife of Mayberry was allowed to carry only one bullet.
Phyrbird

Post by Phyrbird »

AAANNNDDDYYYYY :!: :!:

:lol:
Phyrbird
SOKY