Yours truly with a few (old) shootfest pics

Talk about things other than the Model 8's and 81's
Adam Lee

Yours truly with a few (old) shootfest pics

Post by Adam Lee »

Guys,

As you may or may not be aware, I am a soon-to-be-free 6th grade public school teacher. By the end of next week, I will no longer be a slave to the man (for a couple of months) but instead, will gladly be getting back to my hobbies!

Just for kicks, I uploaded some old pics I had or scanned of some shooting stuff I have enjoyed over the years.

This first picture is about ten years ago, somewhere in that neighborhood, having the opportunity to test out a buddy's vintage Thompson. Also in that pic, you can see a few more of his US military weapons I had a chance to shoot as well.

At the same shootfest, I took a picture of a friend with his M-60, shooting "rifle-style"!
I had the great joy of shooting another buddy's vintage 1944 MG42 full-auto in the prone position, running a string of 100 rounds. Wish I'd had my picture taken on "Hitler's Buzz Saw", but at least I know it was a blast!

Now, here are a few REALLY old "flashbacks" taken when I was an undergrad at Virginia Tech. My motley crew of like-minded hooligans and myself would spend "quality time" distracting ourselves from our studies on random weekends throughout the school year in a strangely cathartic manner - heading out to an abandoned coal seam to shoot up any crap we could gather up from the school dumpsters!
Most often, it would be old TV sets, stuffed animals, lawnchairs stacked high with canned beverages (empty).....you get the idea.

In this one, my buddy (just out of the Marines in 1985) is "lefty" shooting my Chinese SKS. I'm the guy in the camo jacket leaning against my old '76 Scout II.

Here's one of the crew - hard to identify the hodge-podge of weaponry we poor college kids were plugging away with that day, but yours truly is right in the middle - and holding a WW2 vintage 1911A1 in one hand, and a 1903 Springfield in the other. Fun days! This was around 1985 or maybe 1986. I graduated from VPI in the spring of 1986. What a bunch of hooligans!
I am a regular joe, consisting of 78% coffee, 12% hot air, 9% organizational abilities, and 1% luck.
Pitchy

Re: Yours truly with a few (old) shootfest pics

Post by Pitchy »

Cool pics Adam and envy you shooting the Tommy gun in full auto i take it. 8-)
A lot of water under the bridge good and bad,
Bad when i did it my way, Good when i did it Gods way.

USAF-72-76
Adam Lee

Post by Adam Lee »

Pitchy, yep - that was a full-auto Tommy gun. I ran several clips through it and it fed and functioned perfectly. I was somewhat surprised at how mild and controllable it was, but I think that has to do with the overall weight and balance plus the heavy bolt assembly going back and forth.

Another guy at that particular shoot was big into his registered weapons, he brought the WW2 MG42 machine gun on bipod mount as well as a restored WW2 US Army flamethrower. Yes - a flamethrower! I am going to see if there's any way I can dig up that set of pictures. Amazing - about a 50-yard sheet of flame. We did have good range safety that day - and, it goes without saying - this was on PRIVATE property!! :lol:

Adam
I am a regular joe, consisting of 78% coffee, 12% hot air, 9% organizational abilities, and 1% luck.
Pitchy

Post by Pitchy »

The Thompsons are cool, i have a semi auto model but they are heavy. :)
A lot of water under the bridge good and bad,
Bad when i did it my way, Good when i did it Gods way.

USAF-72-76
Adam Lee

Post by Adam Lee »

Pitchy wrote:The Thompsons are cool, i have a semi auto model but they are heavy. :)
Is yours one of the Model 1928 style, with finned barrel and pistol grip forearm, or the WW2 style with smooth barrel and flat handguard?

I always liked the idea of getting a non-registered semi-auto copy, but couldn't stand the 16" barrel. I wonder if you can cut the barrel, and register it as an SBR. Probably not, but hey, just something I had always thought would be neat.

Adam
81police

Post by 81police »

If your state allows you can legally convert a 16" to an SBR or you can just purchase them from the factory as a built SBR (as mine is).

10.5" barrel.

If you're interested and would like to know more about it please send me a PM.

Cam Woodall
Site Co-Administrator
imfuncity

Post by imfuncity »

Showoff! :roll: I hate you guys in the free-states. :twisted:
Though defensive violence will always be “a sad necessity” in the eyes of men of principle, it would be still more unfortunate if wrongdoers should dominate just men. - St. Augustine