Remington 10 shotguns, anyone?

Talk about things other than the Model 8's and 81's
Adam Lee

Remington 10 shotguns, anyone?

Post by Adam Lee »

I have a tendency to ramble, so I will simply put this question out and be done -

Any forum people with the oldie but goodie Model 10 shotguns out there? Saw one at a show, and read about them on the interwebs.

Interesting and historic weapon - Remington's first pump and I believe it was another Pedersen design, IIRC.

Thanks! Adam
I am a regular joe, consisting of 78% coffee, 12% hot air, 9% organizational abilities, and 1% luck.
Sarge756

Re: Remington 10 shotguns, anyone?

Post by Sarge756 »

You are correct Adam. The Model 10 was a Pederson design. I have one that is well worn from many days afield prior and after I got it. Mine has the 23 inch barrel and is Cyl bore. The short barrel and open choke made it perfect for hunting Wood ducks and Teal in our thick swamps. It is from a by-gone era when things were really made. The innards are machined- not stamped ,and as with most Pederson designs tend to be a bit complicated. It and the other pumps of the era like the model 17Rem, 29 Rem and 97 Winchester take more than a passing knowledge of smithing to assemble. Have had a few brought to me in a box after disassembly, held by one of my buds with that deer in the headlights look. They are not 870`s with a couple pins holding things in place.
At a time when I was shooting mine quite often and feeling very confident in it, I was invited to shoot a high end sporting clays course with some friends. We traveled some distance and arrived to find the cold front that passed that morning left 30-35 mph NW winds.Gonna be an interesting day for sure. I had brought the 10 in a nice takedown case.When I put it in the rack next to the sleek high priced over-unders I got a few stares. The range master acted as if I had sullied Holy ground and told me that it was not a suitable gun for the course. The results of the day were a bit different and I`ve still got a soft spot for that old gun and the chance to rub a bunch of egg in that snob range masters face.
If you get the itch they are not that rare .Quick look on GB shows 8 or 10. If you plan to shoot it a lot do what I did and buy a beat up parts gun, cause parts for them are rare.
Joe
".......ain't many troubles that a man cain't fix
With seven hundred dollars and a thirty ought six."
imfuncity

Post by imfuncity »

Gotta love the knowledge of our members!! Good one, Joe.
Though defensive violence will always be “a sad necessity” in the eyes of men of principle, it would be still more unfortunate if wrongdoers should dominate just men. - St. Augustine
DWalt

Post by DWalt »

They are not uncommon, and I have run across a fair number over the years. At most larger gun shows you will see a few. But I never did own any. I always thought they looked sort of strange. They even saw military use as trench guns during both wars, and I even saw one of those once. I think it was Remington's first pump shotgun. Somewhat similar to the Ithaca, as loading and ejection were out the bottom, no side ejection port.

The only time I ever fired a Model 10 was one owned by a former boss many years ago, and then only a few shots.

I think Pederson's greatest design accomplishment was the Remington Model 51 pocket pistol. They used to be fairly common, but I haven't seen one for a long time. I have all 4 versions of the 51, but unfortunately none of them are in what you'd call collector condition. But they all shoot fine.
Adam Lee

Post by Adam Lee »

DWalt wrote:They are not uncommon, and I have run across a fair number over the years. At most larger gun shows you will see a few. But I never did own any. I always thought they looked sort of strange. They even saw military use as trench guns during both wars, and I even saw one of those once. I think it was Remington's first pump shotgun. Somewhat similar to the Ithaca, as loading and ejection were out the bottom, no side ejection port.

The only time I ever fired a Model 10 was one owned by a former boss many years ago, and then only a few shots.

I think Pederson's greatest design accomplishment was the Remington Model 51 pocket pistol. They used to be fairly common, but I haven't seen one for a long time. I have all 4 versions of the 51, but unfortunately none of them are in what you'd call collector condition. But they all shoot fine.
DWalt -

you are so right about the Model 51! The favorite pistol I never had! I always thought they looked like a precursor to the Walther PP, with lines similar to the Browning 1910.
Are yours in .32, .380, or a mix?
Here's a couple dreamy pics of the Model 51 at the NRA's museum.
I am a regular joe, consisting of 78% coffee, 12% hot air, 9% organizational abilities, and 1% luck.
Adam Lee

Post by Adam Lee »

Here's a nice original Model 10 Remington, in riot 20" length.

DWalt

Post by DWalt »

"Are yours (Model 51s) in .32, .380, or a mix?"

Type 1 - in both calibers. Also, Type 2 - in both calibers. The picture shown is a Type 1. The Type 2 can be distinguished by having a different style of slide serrations, more like you would see on a .45 Model 1911.
Adam Lee

Post by Adam Lee »

DWalt wrote:"Are yours (Model 51s) in .32, .380, or a mix?"

Type 1 - in both calibers. Also, Type 2 - in both calibers. The picture shown is a Type 1. The Type 2 can be distinguished by having a different style of slide serrations, more like you would see on a .45 Model 1911.
Thanks for the clarification on Type 1/Type 2 differences. All this talk about unique and interesting old Remington pistols and shotguns is a bit too much for me right now, makes it hard to concentrate on finishing the last days of school!! :lol:

Adam
DWalt

Post by DWalt »

At one time, I had a fairly comprehensive collection of U.S. pocket pistols of the first half of the 20th century (there are not that many of them - Colt, Remington, S&W, Savage, H&R, and Davis-Warner - but numerous variations exist of each). Except for one remaining Savage Model 1907 in .32, and the Remington 51s, all now have other homes. I always felt strongly that the Remington 51 was the best designed and best engineered of any pocket pistol made by anyone anywhere, then or now - reliable, lightweight, and highly ergonomic. George Patton even had one. I wish someone would re-create it today. But that won't happen

A (basically) scaled-up Model 51 in .45 caliber was very nearly adopted as the standard sidearm of the U. S. Navy during the WWI period, but got sidetracked.

I also think highly of the Savage, mainly for its superior quality and workmanship. The phrase "Made like a Swiss watch" always comes to mind when I see one.