.30 rem ammo

Talk about things other than the Model 8's and 81's
ice-man1973

.30 rem ammo

Post by ice-man1973 »

I just picked up a box of Winchester Silvertip ammo for $45.00, the box is yellow with a big Red W on it, I havent been able to find much info about it (aprox age) was wondering if this was the going price becouse I can buy 8 more boxes at the same place some winchester some remington most boxes are in nice shape!
DWalt

Re: .30 rem ammo

Post by DWalt »

Typical from the 1960s. If you can provide the complete Winchester lot number, I may be able to date yours more precisely. As .30 Rem is out of print, and ammunition prices have gone crazy, $45/box is not an outrageous price if the boxes themselves are in good condition and are Silvertips. You might try to negotiate a better price if you want all of them.
sighthound

Post by sighthound »

With money as cheap as it is and Fed creating more each day out of thin air anything you want and can get with this near worthless currency, go for lt, at least you will have something of value.
DWalt

Post by DWalt »

I wish I had put all of my retirement funds into purchasing a truckload of .22 Long Rifle ammunition 6 months ago. It has far, far outperformed gold.

There is a lot of logic in buying hard but somewhat liquid or useful but nonperishable assets (like canned food) at present to get rid of dollars. I don't know how much more of this administration's "Quantitative Easing" the economy can stand, and it sure looks like there will me no stopping of it in the future. Every time I read the paper, all I can think of is the Weimar Republic, when workers had to be paid twice a day so they could go spend their wage before it became worthless.

What is now official government policy would land the executives of any private company in prison if they did the same.
imfuncity

Post by imfuncity »

Preach it bros! But you are preaching to the choir.

On the other hand, was about to start liquidating some shooters and ammo to use for...? Now you guys have me rethinking that idea. (And it was tough enough just to start thinking of getting rid of some of my "children".) :?
Though defensive violence will always be “a sad necessity” in the eyes of men of principle, it would be still more unfortunate if wrongdoers should dominate just men. - St. Augustine
sighthound

Post by sighthound »

Thanks imfuncity, point well taken, henceforth any posts will be confined to the purpose this forum was established, sharing information, experiences and knowledge on The Great Model 8 and its cousins 81 and 1900. Jerry