other hobbies - plastic modeling

Talk about things other than the Model 8's and 81's
Adam Lee

other hobbies - plastic modeling

Post by Adam Lee »

Guys,

once more I find myself looking ahead to the end of the workday since it is Friday! Before I quit the computer and get things together for work, I thought I'd share some photos of my other hobby, building and detailing plastic military models.

Most of my stuff is either 1:35 scale armor, trucks, and figures from WW2. About the same amount is in 1:72 aircraft, with a few 1:48 and 1:32 aircraft. I've been modeling since I was 9 or 10, with a long break after college. Got back into it about 8-10 years ago, my wife even bought me a nice airbrush and compressor for my birthday about 3 years ago.

If anybody else here models, what I like most is "scratch-building" and modifying kits to suit my interests.

Here are a couple Tiger tanks of various flavors. Some are older Tamiya, the King Tiger is a newer Dragon.

I am a regular joe, consisting of 78% coffee, 12% hot air, 9% organizational abilities, and 1% luck.
rem81auto

Re: other hobbies - plastic modeling

Post by rem81auto »

I have been collecting this stuff since 1982. I would be glad to buy any antique tackle from any board member so they can buy more Rem 8's & 81's. Dennis

http://sportingcollectibles.net/a-tackle-pics.htm
Last edited by rem81auto on Fri Apr 05, 2013 6:50 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Adam Lee

Post by Adam Lee »

rem81auto wrote:I have been collecting this stuff since 1982. I would be glad to buy yours so you get buy yourself some more Rem 8's & 81's. Dennis

http://sportingcollectibles.net/a-tackle-pics.htm
Dennis, hey I had not even thought along those lines - definitely an idea to think about!

Cool. These are pics before they are finished, obviously. Today I was working on the King Tiger in my classroom during PAT time - Preferred Activity Time. I have 3 boys in my group who are going to be finishing up some older kits I already started, a pair of 1:72 German jet and rocket fighters (Salamander and Komet) and a 1:35 Italeri Hummvee.

OK, off to get a CAT scan this early evening. Yay! Gotta get my head examined - literally!

Adam
I am a regular joe, consisting of 78% coffee, 12% hot air, 9% organizational abilities, and 1% luck.
Adam Lee

Post by Adam Lee »

Here is a 1:35 M151A2 Mutt I made for my son's birthday about 3 years ago. I don't believe the Mutt has survived intact - but here it is, just before I handed him the "keys"! (Mutt's don't have any keys - just a chain welded to the floor, so you can loop a US Gov't lock to the steering wheel - ask me how I know)

imfuncity

Post by imfuncity »

You one crazy "regular Joe", maybe you ought to back off to 68% coffee... :lol: Or, very cool. 8-)
Though defensive violence will always be “a sad necessity” in the eyes of men of principle, it would be still more unfortunate if wrongdoers should dominate just men. - St. Augustine
sighthound

Post by sighthound »

If you do not already have one what you may need is a 3D printer to craft these plastic parts, have never seen one but demo videos are amazing. Could also make gun parts since machines are being developed to use metal for fabrication of parts.
rem81auto

Post by rem81auto »

An addition to my above post on my fishing tackle collection. I would be willing to trade Rem 8's or 81's for the right lures. tks Dennis
Adam Lee

Post by Adam Lee »

OK, so just to keep this focused on my plastic models once more, here's a few more of my projects before I hit the hay.

DML Dragon Tiger II

Russian low-quality ESCI/AMT T-72 kit - fun to use Coke can aluminum for detailing -

A few more Mutt pics -
rem81auto

Post by rem81auto »

Adam, I understood your post as reading what other hobbies members might have. I didn't mean to step on your post. Dennis
imfuncity

Post by imfuncity »

Does it count that my hobby is looking at and admiring other people's hobbies? :lol:
Though defensive violence will always be “a sad necessity” in the eyes of men of principle, it would be still more unfortunate if wrongdoers should dominate just men. - St. Augustine
Adam Lee

Post by Adam Lee »

rem81auto wrote:Adam, I understood your post as reading what other hobbies members might have. I didn't mean to step on your post. Dennis
Dennis,

I am not in the least offended by your follow-up comments - in fact, I spent almost a half-hour visiting your website, reading and learning all about the antique fishing lures you collect!
Fascinating subject - authentic American cultural artifacts of almost any type interest me, as well. That's the US/State history teacher in me I guess!

However, Dennis if you are interested I would really like for you to message me off-board or via email with your "plastic model" wish-lists. You got me thinking about doing commissioned work for Remingtons! :mrgreen:
If you can tell, my interest is making vehicles look like they have been through action. Although my aircraft have not been shown, same goes for them.
I've made models of ships and subs for relatives who've served in Desert Storm and the Korean War, as gifts. Also made aircraft models of B-29's, B-36's, B-47's, C-130's etc for Uncles who have served in the past.
I made the Mutt jeep shown in the posts for my son and I, since I used to drive one and then owned one from government auction.

I like to be challenged with making scale models come to life!

Adam
Adam Lee

Post by Adam Lee »

This is an example of part of my process in putting together an "antique plastic model" - I like finding out-of-print older kits from yard sales and hobby shops, and challenging myself a bit to make these lower-detailed simple kits a bit more interesting.

keltg

Post by keltg »

Adam lee those 3d models are amazing.
Smile makes others wonder what you are up to
Adam Lee

Post by Adam Lee »

keltg wrote:Adam lee those 3d models are amazing.
I appreciate the kind words! Thank you.

Bear in mind, the aircraft are all in the "process stages" and are in various layers of primer. Final painting will be done in class - I hope.
As I mentioned before, I enjoy offering kids in my 6th grade class the opportunity to practice their fine motor skills and attention to detail in quality work with my "Preferred Activity Time" on Fridays. I encourage kids to craft, create, paint, draw, weave, knit, sculpt, model, whatever they want. Only requirement is they keep a logbook or PAT journal to document their chosen activity. This enables me to justify what we do as far as the county is concerned!

Next week I believe I will bring my airbrush and compressor to school, and run a demo on how to paint. Should be fun.
Also, I will run a demo on creating miniature scale figures from parts - in 1:35 scale - using my workshop bin of leftover and old kits.

Adam

soldiers we will be working on, for example -
keltg

Post by keltg »

we need more teachers like yourself. I raised one son myself till two years ago. he passed away, i have been with my gf now for just over 2 years and she has 4 children oldest just turned 18, the rest are 11, 7, and 6, we have a little one together that is 7 months old now. and i know they would all benefit from a teacher that teaches a little outside the box.
Adam Lee

Post by Adam Lee »

keltg wrote:we need more teachers like yourself. I raised one son myself till two years ago. he passed away, i have been with my gf now for just over 2 years and she has 4 children oldest just turned 18, the rest are 11, 7, and 6, we have a little one together that is 7 months old now. and i know they would all benefit from a teacher that teaches a little outside the box.
Wow, thanks for sharing your family history, sounds like you are a tried & true family man! Although my 2 kids live with their mom and stepdad in Nashville, we have always maintained traditions of summer & winter breaks together and so on. Never was able to get to the point of sharing my shooting sports hobbies with my kids - first wife was a rabid anti-gunner, though I don't hold it against her.
My kids know I love antique old guns and history, they both were very interested in my antique fowler flintlock I've been fooling with for the past few years.
On my wish list is finding the moment in time when I might finally get some one-on-one with my boy and do some shooting with him in Tennessee. In Boy Scouts back several years ago, he was able to have some fun with .22 bolt rifle target shooting as well as bow shooting. He is 14 now, my daughter is 17 and just about ending her junior year. My son is already 6' tall (got me covered in shadow by at least 3 inches) and can no longer wear my size 12 desert combat boots. Actually, he had a hard time last year wearing my old size 12 boots. I told him to stop wearing them, and hold on to em so I could get em back!!

keltg, (please remind me of your actual name once more), thanks for the comments and allowing me to have a family-style flashback!

Adam
keltg

Post by keltg »

my full name is Kelvin Trent Giesbrecht or keltg for short. I have seen the pictures you have posted of some of your project rifles. and have admired them. I am a water plant operator by trade, but needed something to keep my evenings full so i took a Gunsmithing course last winter completed the 10 month course in 3 months, got my certificate and opened a small shop in my yard. I have mostly been working on late 1800 and early 1900 firearms that i have been purchasing in rough condition and restoring then selling, and been sporterizing old military firearms so the young guys today will shoot them and keep using them. I have also turned a couple from a semi sporter condition back to full military for a couple people.