New to me Webely

Talk about things other than the Model 8's and 81's
Packmule

New to me Webely

Post by Packmule »

Just want to share what followed me home today....
A 1915 maked Webely in 45acp
still a great shooter and just a cool classic
adventuring pistol......

RSA Member
German Gun Collectors Association

John 3:16
For God so loved the world, that he gave his only begotten Son, that whosoever believeth in him should not perish, but have everlasting life.
Roger

Re: New to me Webely

Post by Roger »

Hey, packmule,what a cool piece. I didn't know they were made in 45 acp. Shows how little I know about stuff that JMB didn't design.
Thanks,
Roger
Roger
raw4555@gmail.com
keltg

Post by keltg »

very nice. gotta love the classic firearms, they have character.
Smile makes others wonder what you are up to
81police

Post by 81police »

cool pistol Pack, reminds me of our conversation...
Attachments
tumblr_mcgqmcOslS1rt7skb copy.jpg
tumblr_mcgqmcOslS1rt7skb copy.jpg (143.98 KiB) Viewed 5607 times
Cam Woodall
Site Co-Administrator
Packmule

Post by Packmule »

thats awesome Cam !

RSA Member
German Gun Collectors Association

John 3:16
For God so loved the world, that he gave his only begotten Son, that whosoever believeth in him should not perish, but have everlasting life.
clampdaddy

Post by clampdaddy »

Very nice! I have the same pistol but mine has the .455/.476 cylinder. I've never tried the .476 loading but the .455's aren't quite big enough to get a good bite on the rifling. Recovered slugs will almost fall through the bore. :lol:
DWalt

Post by DWalt »

After WWII, many of the old Webley .455 revolvers from WWI and WWII were modified in large numbers to take the .45 ACP cartridge to enhance civilian sales appeal (.455 Webley ammunition is a bit difficult to find in the USA). It involved milling some metal from the rear cylinder face so it could accept either .45 Auto Rim or half-moon clips with .45 ACP. The Webley's bore diameter (0.455") is slightly oversize for the .45 ACP (0.450-.451") bullet, so do not expect great grouping at any distance. By the way, the British called their cartridge the .455 Revolver Mk I (or Mk II), while the Canadians called it the .455 Colt. Unfortunately the modified .455 Webley revolvers have no collectible value, their only value is as shooters.

The .476 cartridge uses a 0.472" diameter bullet.

There was some use of the Colt Model 1911 during WWI and afterwards by the British, in caliber .455 Automatic (but a different cartridge from that used in the revolver). The main difference was in having a barrel in .455. Many of those were also later converted to .45 ACP by simply replacing the .455 barrel with a .45 ACP barrel and using the proper .45 ACP magazine. I have one of those. But I have read that .45 ACP ammunition would work after a fashion in an unconverted .455 Model 1911, the main problem being in the bullet diameter difference.