The old Mill

Talk about things other than the Model 8's and 81's
Pitchy

The old Mill

Post by Pitchy »

I bought this old Howel Mill 25 years ago or so, it was just a pile of rusty steel so had to rebuild it.
It has been fun and sawed a lot of lumber for us.
Sawed a few logs of late, thought ya might enjoy the videos.

Click on the pictures

A lot of water under the bridge good and bad,
Bad when i did it my way, Good when i did it Gods way.

USAF-72-76
rem81auto

Re: The old Mill

Post by rem81auto »

That's very cool ... congrat's on bringing the mill back to life.
imfuncity

Post by imfuncity »

LIKE for sure, always wanted to do that!! 8-) That's first class, especially with that handy green thing. (Old IH guy can't actually say the JD words.) Almost bought a Wood-Mizer back when I was selling chainsaws... closest I came was an old Alaskan Mill. :mrgreen:
Though defensive violence will always be “a sad necessity” in the eyes of men of principle, it would be still more unfortunate if wrongdoers should dominate just men. - St. Augustine
Pitchy

Post by Pitchy »

Thanks guys. :)
If we did more sawing i`d have me a band mill, those big white pine logs are a killer on a small mill like this.

USAF-72-76
texassako

Post by texassako »

Love the mill Pitchy. I almost took someone up on their offer of an old circle mill, but decided I just did not have time for long distance restoration. My little band mill has been handy since it is portable. I get a few odd looks when I haul it home for the occasional urban logging expedition. Here it is on our little place around when I got it a few years back:

I use it to obtain "character wood" and oddball local wood species like cedar elm and nutmeg hickory for my projects. A lttle Bois D'arc stump:

And an interesting eastern redcedar bookmatch that will become a bookcase one day when I convince the wife she likes rustic:

And my "tractor" gives me a good workout, but it fits anywhere I can fit. I have a hitch now to pull it around with our little Kubota now. The Logrite Junior arch:

Pitchy

Post by Pitchy »

Love it, that is the way to go and i would love to have such a set-up.
What brand is that mill?
A person can get so much more lumber with a band mill and just the thing for sawing those big logs.
Thanks for the pics. 8-) 8-)

USAF-72-76
texassako

Post by texassako »

Pitchy wrote:Love it, that is the way to go and i would love to have such a set-up.
What brand is that mill?
A person can get so much more lumber with a band mill and just the thing for sawing those big logs.
Thanks for the pics. 8-) 8-)
It is a Mister Sawmill out of Arkansas with a 13hp Honda and a 21 inch cut. Some called it a toy when I got it, but it fits my needs and all the parts on it can be found at the local hardware store.
Pitchy

Post by Pitchy »

There was a white pine thats been dying for years so cut it down while it was solid.
We`ve, the wife and i have sawen more than a few of those big logs over the years, these were 30 inch across.
But we found out this year that old age catches up to ya, we whittled out the first log but it was to much for us.
My saw blade is 42 in and will reach 16 inch above the arbor nut.
The first cut on a log that big only goes in about four inches so ya have to chainsaw the slab off. Then flop it back on the skidway and do it again until ya get it down to 16 inch.
I decided to take them off the skidway and nail a 2x4 on top for a guide and saw them in half.
Was a big job too but not as bad as the other way, then we got them sawed up .

USAF-72-76
Pitchy

Post by Pitchy »

Took a few pics of the mill showing how i have the power unit set up.

USAF-72-76