Just got my first Winchester

Talk about things other than the Model 8's and 81's
mr mike

Just got my first Winchester

Post by mr mike »

Golly, sure hope I ain't gonna get kicked out of the model 8 site for this, but I'm kinda excited at the moment.
I just sealed the deal on an old Winchester rifle a model 1892! Its all there with a few nicks and scratches.
Intresting thing was, I got it right here in the small Pacific northwest town I live in from the original owners
great grandson. This fellow is a farmer part time and by training a school teacher, with long time family ties in this area.
Lucky for me he's not a "real" gun collecter although he does own a a Harrington/Richardson 22 pistol he keeps for
emergencys. He also has a 1899 model Savage rifle in 30-30 caliber. That rifle I learned was also bought new by his great grand dad in 1909. No info on how much that gun cost or where he got it.
The Winchester is in 38-40 caliber with octagon barrel. Whats remarkable about this old piece is, it has a five digit
serial number which I looked up on the Winchester site. The rifle came off the line around late summer 1893 which makes it about 120 years old! The great granddad was a minister assigned in Spokane, Washington when He was directed to
transfer his ministry to an area along the Canadian border north of the present day city of Bellingham. He bought the rifle from a Montgomery-Ward catalog I learned for $12.00 around 1894. Back in that time as he moved further west, the
Winchester was protection for his family, and of course used to kill game for food. The 1892 is an early Browning design and what a great one it is. The rifle is notably lighter in weight than the Remington model 8 and I really like the ease of carrying it at the center of gravity forward of the trigger without the issue of an ammo box getting in the way.
The rifle will take 15 rounds and of course no stripper clips are needed. As this is my first experience with this model gun I'm still learning, but first impressions are very favorable. Its easy to understand why Winchester sold so many guns in the time Remington struggled with model 8. I got some insight just examining the other guns owned by the great granddad.
They were all lever action. Back in 1909 when he bought the 1899 Savage, the autoloader had been on the market
for several years, still he chose the Savage. I'm thinking perhaps the model 8 was too advanced for him?
Anyway I'm pretty excited with this rifle. Plan to shoot it after getting it checked out. Also gotta say buying from a private owner when you can is the only way to go. No mail issues, no FFL to deal with. The man even let me hang on to the gun for several days while I looked it over. Sweet!
One last thing, I'm really starting to pay greater attention to the old western movies on TV. Almost all the rifles
shown are versions of the 1873 or 1892 model Winchester. Reruns of Wanted dead or alive, the rifleman and
gunsmoke, all feature this old piece, kinda neat. I'm still hoping someday to get an 1873 model Winchester,
with octagon barrel in 44-40. But for now gonna enjoy this one along with the model 8.
texassako

Re: Just got my first Winchester

Post by texassako »

My dad collects those winchester '92, and my favorite is his 3-digit Trapper from 1892. He is afraid to shoot them and I just laugh while telling him stories of firing guns even older. I also notice what guns are in what shows these days. It is pretty bad when I want to go see Lawless just to see what they shoot. I think a scene emptying a Model 8 and reloading with the stripper would fit right in during a bootlegger gangster movie.
jack1653

Post by jack1653 »

Congratulations on your Winchester. There is nothing like having a variety in the stable. I think most of us have some rifles other than the model 8 and 81. I always like a varity but I don't concentrate on anything but the Remington's.

Regards,

jack1653
imfuncity

Post by imfuncity »

"I think most of us have some rifles other than the model 8 and 81," BLASPHEMY JACK!! Oh my, there goes the neighborhood! :shock: :roll:

On the other hand, bought my last 8/81 'bout three years ago but haven't quit buying... been trying to catch up for the almost 60yrs of not owning a firearm - average 'bout one a month (much to my wife's chagrin). :twisted:
Though defensive violence will always be “a sad necessity” in the eyes of men of principle, it would be still more unfortunate if wrongdoers should dominate just men. - St. Augustine
DWalt

Post by DWalt »

Most of the rifles seen in the old western movies are 1892s. However, being historically accurate was not a high priority in those days, and you would see the actors using them in movies set in time periods well before the 1892 was even manufactured, even in movies set during or just after the Civil War. You will very seldom see an old western in which anyone is using a Winchester 73. One exception is the old Jimmy Stewart classic of the same name.

Actually, modern Hollywood is pretty good these days in having the weapons used in their movies correctly match the time period depicted. They must have better historical technical advisors on staff. I'd like to be one of those guys.
Roger

Post by Roger »

I've been collecting JMB designed win.levers for about 25 yrs. The model 1892 is one of my favorite ones also. I also have colt @ ruger single action revolvers in the same caliber as the win.92 s, which makes for easier reloading@ fun when shooting them all. I have a 92 first gr. Production in 38/40 and another one from 1894 in the same caliber. The first year production rifle shoots lights out.Pretty cool for one that's 120 yrs. Old. But lately I've just been buying more rem. 8/81 s. Have some fun with your 92. They are a true American classic rifle.
Thanks for your time
Roger
Roger
raw4555@gmail.com
Sarge756

Post by Sarge756 »

Love those old Winnies. Thanks to plenty of friends that have brought me the tired and broken ones to fix up I have had my itch scratched without having to raid the treasury.Couple 73`s and 92`s and lost count on the 94`s. I`ve had the pleasure of playing with them and just like grandkids they get to go home.
I know Mitch and the rest of us are anxious to see some pictures of your 92.Really neat that you know the history of it.
Joe
".......ain't many troubles that a man cain't fix
With seven hundred dollars and a thirty ought six."
imfuncity

Post by imfuncity »

As to pictures....... waiting....... waiting....... sigh, ah waiting...... :ugeek: (Joe, I was TRYING to be patient.)
Though defensive violence will always be “a sad necessity” in the eyes of men of principle, it would be still more unfortunate if wrongdoers should dominate just men. - St. Augustine
mr mike

Post by mr mike »

Sorry I was away from home for a few days. Haven't taken any photos yet. Promise to have some up soon
after posting to Imfuncity if he'll hel me out again :)
imfuncity

Post by imfuncity »

No problem, send 'em.
mr mike

Post by mr mike »

Hey Mitch, sent photos to your old e-mail address ( from a year ago) apparently "NO JOY" !
Did you recieve them? Tried to reach you on the land line to talk about it. "No JOY" there either!
Operator had no one by your given name listed at your old postal address.
Funny thing there is a guy with your last name in that town, so I tried callin' him.
He promptly told me "I ain't that guy, and I ain't no gun guy either! Wouldn't have one anyway!"
before hangin' up. Gosh, hope he isn't someone you know!
Anyway thats kinda where I am at the moment. Sorry 'bout that.
imfuncity

Post by imfuncity »

Who ever he is in whatever town, I don't know him or want to - correct he would be NO JOY to know!!! :( Just for funsies what town were you looking in, as I have not had a listed number or landline in a long time.

Got your pictures, been busy... but they should be up and viewable shortly.
imfuncity

Post by imfuncity »

Looks to me like a Winnie to be proud of fo-sur, enjoy
P1010308 (800x235).jpg
P1010308 (800x235).jpg (167.68 KiB) Viewed 9755 times
P1010302 (800x371).jpg
P1010302 (800x371).jpg (206.09 KiB) Viewed 9755 times
P1010299 (800x335).jpg
P1010299 (800x335).jpg (237.62 KiB) Viewed 9755 times
mr mike

Post by mr mike »

Hey many thanks for the photos.
By the way, that guy I spoke to lived in Cottonwood. A "right friendly" sort o' fella, I'd say :D