Primer question

Talk about things other than the Model 8's and 81's
PowderFlask

Primer question

Post by PowderFlask »

I just picked up my first ever new/old model 81 and have shot it a total of 7 times so far.

So far it functions perfectly, ejects and picks up the next round and chambers it every time (so far so good)

I do have a question though, the primers on the spent brass have backed out of the cases just a little bit, is this normal/abnormal for these rifles.

If abnormal, what could cause this?

Thanks
Gary
Roger

Re: Primer question

Post by Roger »

Gary, several things might cause primers to back out. Was the ammo old? What caliber is it? It may also be excessive chamber pressure. This could be caused by a few things. The chamber may be a little worn. What condition is the bore in? I need a few answers@ maybe I could help narrow it down. Thanks,Roger
Roger
raw4555@gmail.com
PowderFlask

Post by PowderFlask »

Its a 35 Remington and the bore appears to be very good.

Ammo is brand new 200 grain Hornady FTX

Reloads to follow shortly
Sarge756

Post by Sarge756 »

Gary,
Think you answered the question with the ammo you are using. The Leverevolution ammo is a good idea as far as ability to use pointed bullets in a tube magazine. Ballistics advantage however shows the most improvement in the 30-30 round.Advantage in a 35 is not that great. I suspect the higher pressure of the Hornady ammo is the culprit in the primer problem. Reloading a 200 gr Core-lokt at about 1900 fps is the ticket. If you plan to use it for deer sized animals they generally drop where they are standing.My experience with the Hornady stuff out of a 336 Marlin on deer was not good. The extra speed doesn`t seem to allow full expansion .The deer is still dead but you have to make a little hike to find him. My load for the 35 is 37.2 grs of BLC-2. Good luck.
Joe
".......ain't many troubles that a man cain't fix
With seven hundred dollars and a thirty ought six."
PowderFlask

Post by PowderFlask »

Thanks Joe

I think you are right, after some research I find the Hornady stuff is supposed to exit at a little over 2200FPS (I have not chrono'ed yet)
All the other factory stuff maxes out at around 1900, quite a difference.

Looks like a little reloading is in my immediate future
Roger

Post by Roger »

Gary-- I think you answered your own question. Your rifle may not like horn.ftx ammo.it may develop too much pressure.however a call or e-mail to hornady. May shed some light on the subject. They are usually very helpful in my opinion. I have used horn ftx. Ammo,bullets,( reloads) ,and their new leverevolution powder in my Rem. 8/81 s for quite awhile in all 5 calibers with great success on deer and paper. No problems at all. Contact them at least to see if they have any answers.Certain ammo lots can also cause problems and they'll want to know. Thanks for your time.
Roger
Roger
raw4555@gmail.com