The Great Model 8: A Documentary

Talk about things other than the Model 8's and 81's
Western

The Great Model 8: A Documentary

Post by Western »

It has recently come to my attention that there might be interest in a gonzo - low cost documentary on the Model 8 - one made by people who love this rifle, for people who love this rifle, about people who love this rifle and the rifle they choose to love :D .

I wanted to open a topic to ask the question: if I start the huge effort (with the great possibility of failure in this economy) to put together enough money to shoot this documentary gonzo style, would anyone here be willing to tell there stories and show their weapons, unique or common, for a national audience? The basic documentary would be a story of the model 8/81 from its birth to its death, and then about the underground movement to keep the weapon alive by historically minded people. The vehicle for telling the story would be the owners of the guns, who show off their weapons and tell about John Browning, the use of the weapons in the prison system and by police, the use of the weapons by hunters (especially in the Northeast), the end of production by Remington, and its modern resurgence.

It is possible it could be produced assembly style at first, with people following my instruction on how to use their own cameras to capture video, with the video being edited by me here, and then gradually replacing the home made video with professional interviews.

Anyone interested?
jack1653

Re: The Great Model 8: A Documentary

Post by jack1653 »

Hey Western,

That sounds like a lot of work and a significant economic commitment. I am not a historian on the Remington's but I know there are readers and members who could contribute. I am a collector and have my stories, some which appear on this site. I just happen to like these rifles and find that John Browning was a genius when it came to firearms. Once I understand what is involved, I think I would like to participate.

Regards,

jack1653
Western

Post by Western »

jack1653 wrote:Hey Western,

That sounds like a lot of work and a significant economic commitment. I am not a historian on the Remington's but I know there are readers and members who could contribute. I am a collector and have my stories, some which appear on this site. I just happen to like these rifles and find that John Browning was a genius when it came to firearms. Once I understand what is involved, I think I would like to participate.

Regards,

jack1653

I did two documentaries in Northeast Georgia, and most of the people I spoke to did not consider themselves experts. The trick in a documentary is to find a way to get normal people to tell their stories, then edit those stories in such a way so that it reveals rather than conceals.

If I get funding what it involves is time on the part of the people being interviewed. It is more complicated that it would seem, but the complication is mine and not the person being interviewed.
imfuncity

Post by imfuncity »

Good one on both of yas.

For several years we have been kicking around and talking about a get together - perhaps this is THE vehicle that we need to make it happen - meet, greet, and shoot!?! :o :D

I don't have much of a collection or stories to tell but I have interest and time... willing to do what I can to help make something happen.

(A disabled, ex-cop, a bunch of old guys [and couple of young'ns] shooting old guns, filming it and having a blast - better not let the government know, they'll shut'er down foreshore!!) :lol:
Though defensive violence will always be “a sad necessity” in the eyes of men of principle, it would be still more unfortunate if wrongdoers should dominate just men. - St. Augustine