Armslist/Gunlistings heads up

Talk about things other than the Model 8's and 81's
45guy

Armslist/Gunlistings heads up

Post by 45guy »

It seems as though mayorweasel Bloomberg is at it again. There have been several postings about minors calling from NY attempting to get private individuals to transfer handguns to them in PA. If anyone hasn't seen it yet, the "mayorbloomberg" channel on youtube is chock full of them entrapping Ohio residents.
http://www.gunlistings.org/ohio-gun-...le_please_read
http://www.youtube.com/user/mayorbloomberg#p/search
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ISKaTp--WQo
"The sound of shot sweeping through the air toward you is impressive though. I'll give you that. It's like being swatted with the broom of God."
imfuncity

Re: Armslist/Gunlistings heads up

Post by imfuncity »

Thanks for the heads-up. Have done a bit of business on ArmsList but had not thought about the BloomingIdiot. Did see the one the other day regarding a felon, trying to do cash sales. We do always need to stay alert.
Though defensive violence will always be “a sad necessity” in the eyes of men of principle, it would be still more unfortunate if wrongdoers should dominate just men. - St. Augustine
Sarge756

Post by Sarge756 »

True, that we (The gun owning/collector community ) should do what we can to be sure our private sales transactions are on the up and up. Last thing we want is for fuel to be added for the lunatics that are in charge at the moment to use against us. I have sold and bought guns FTF and on the Internet sites. Most of my acqusitions being firearms in excess of 50 years old my Curio and Relics license suffices for the purchase. When dealing with a private individual it is sometimes necessary to tutor them as to the legality of the C&R license in lieu of going through an FFL license holder. The cost of the license $30 for three years is about what you would spend for one transaction using an FFL holder unless you have a brother-in law that does the transfer for free. For FTF sales a good policy if you do not personally know the buyer is to ask to see their hunting license. Anyone prohibited from owning a firearm would be denied a hunting license in all states. In fact this is a qualifying question on the application for a Curio&Relics license for that reason. if the prospective buyer does not hunt then use your judgement and don`t be afraid to ask a few pointed questions to determine who you are dealing with. This can be done in a non offensive manner to gather information without an interrogation. Employment? Residence and a look at their Drivers license. Using a bill of sale when the firearm is delivered takes care of these questions. If you begin to have more questions than you feel comfortable with, you can always withdraw and find another buyer.
".......ain't many troubles that a man cain't fix
With seven hundred dollars and a thirty ought six."
Western

Post by Western »

I was a deputy for four years and I can say that most problems with firearms in the hands of felons comes from stolen weapons, not CR / dealer transfers. However, there was a certain minority of cases where show dealers (there was no Internet gun sales in those days, but I understand the problem is similar) were a major pain in our tukus. And there was a few cases where illegal transfer of weapons caused us no end of problems.

In one case a weapon was found in a school with a set of materials that indicated one of the HS kids was planning to go active shooter. The weapon traced back to a guy (the original buyer) who had a kid in the school, and he claimed he had sold it to someone at the local range. The person allegedly sold it to said he did not buy it, and also had a kid in the school, as did five other people at the range whose build and age made them possibilities (in case the guy was wrong over who he sold it to). The detective we were working with were stumped.

We never found out who brought the gun to school (although the original gentleman's kid was arrested for stealing a rifle from his grandfather a few months later, not proof but illustrative of our problem), but the person who had official control of the weapon was liable for the damages it caused, at least financially, for it ending up in the wrong hands. When I sell a gun I photograph the gun before hand, photocopy the drivers license of the buyer (unless they are a FFL holder, in which case I record their FFL number), log the time and date, and get a signed receipt. That sort of record keeping goes a long way to protecting yourself in case the gun you sell is used for nefarious purposes somewhere down the line.

I am also damn careful at gun shows. As a deputy I used to work the shows, and we used to find enough stolen weapons to make you stop and think. Most of the stolen weapons were in the hands of people who did not steal them, and themselves had simply taken them in trade for another deal, they were simply innocent dupes. But paperwork showing who you got the gun from, when you got it, and all that protects you even when the law says you do not need it.
mr mike

Post by mr mike »

"Westerns" post is one of the best I've seen on individual gun responbsibility.
I take that to heart. Its one way to help eliminate a problem that gets us all in trouble.
imfuncity

Post by imfuncity »

Thanks Wes, good advice for sure - got me thinking on how I do stuff.
Though defensive violence will always be “a sad necessity” in the eyes of men of principle, it would be still more unfortunate if wrongdoers should dominate just men. - St. Augustine