REMINGTON MODEL 81 ON GUNBROCKER ???

Talk about things other than the Model 8's and 81's
f.a.b.

REMINGTON MODEL 81 ON GUNBROCKER ???

Post by f.a.b. »

Remington 81 Woodsmaster Rifle 300 Savage Model 8 --- THIS GUN IS LISTED ON GUN BROKER AT THIS TIME -- IT HAS 4 BIDS AND IS UP TO $1000.00 -- WHAT AM I MISSING-- IS IT THE SCOPE -- SCOPE MOUNT ????? THE GUN HAS FIVE HOLES BORED IN THE FRAME -- I DO NOT GET IT -- I HAVE A HARD TIME GETTING $500.00 TO $600.00 FOR A GREAT 81 WITH NO SCOPE HOLES -- WHAT DO YOU ALL THINK -- RICK
Western

Re: REMINGTON MODEL 81 ON GUNBROCKER ???

Post by Western »

I do not trust gunbroker, or indeed any gun auction site.

I did a research project that included gunbroker, as well as e-bay, looking at high-end sales like weapons (on gunbroker.)

Rifles on gunbroker like M1 Garands and Carbines would inflate from time to time to unreasonable levels, when an identical rifle in better condition could be bought online for less. The odd thing was, when the rifle sold at an inflated price, it would invariably be back again, often sold by the same vendor, a week or two later.

Interviews on e-bay with implicated dealers (who were selling Star Wars and other movie stuff) revealed that these unusual bidding cycles are part of a process of shill bidding designed to push up the price when a seller thinks they have a deep pocketed buyer on the line. If the worst happens and the seller is left with high bid, then the shill account makes a failed payment (through one of several methods) and the transaction is cancelled.

E-bay claims shill bidding is rare, and it is when you looks at the mass of low price single seller deals. But on high ticket items (over 150 dollars) in the antiques and collectables market, and on gun trading for desired weapons like military rifles, it is common enough that I would avoid any online deal for a weapon unless the price was very right and the seller very trusted.
texassako

Post by texassako »

Some people pay extra for a corect for the era Stith mounts and Weaver scope. Easier than hunting them down and adding on, and better than drilling a virgin reciever. My 8 was local and the 81 was on GB but a local store. I guess my 81 with Stith mounted Texan scope was a beter buy than I thought. I like the unusual, and the internet is usually my best option or finding it. You get a feel for these auctions being legit or not if you watch enough of them and understand what you are buying. Sometimes something just catches the bidders eye and nothing stops the bidder from buying at any cost. Sellers love those people.
imfuncity

Post by imfuncity »

Interesting discussion - agree all around. I also did an informal study back in the spring and came to the same conclusion. Plus, auction fever/competition then throws everything out of whack!

I have also developed a procedure questioning seller, etc. to determine whether to do business with them, regardless of the price. For the most part I've done very well buying on the web both auctions and "free classifieds" buying everything from a vehicle engine, to a high end 45, to paper towels - personally I would prefer dealing on the web over FTF or brick & mortar stores.
Though defensive violence will always be “a sad necessity” in the eyes of men of principle, it would be still more unfortunate if wrongdoers should dominate just men. - St. Augustine
Western

Post by Western »

I am pretty frugal with my buying practices. More than 50 bucks cash and I will no longer take much in the way of risks. I develop relationships with people and a few stores, tell them what I want, then bank the money I am willing to pay until what I want shows up at the price I will pay. Right now I have two rifles I am interested in, but no money in the bank, so I am going through the process of getting to know vendors who will, when I have the money, be the ones I will work through.

Trust comes with a surcharge. If I am willing to pay 500 for a rifle on the rack of an unknown dealer then I am willing to pay $650 to the person who does the leg work to get me the rifle I want plus $50 bucks if they have to arrange shipment. If that means saving an extra six months for the rifle I want, then I am happy to do so.

It may sound pompous, but with guns I like to know exactly who I am dealing with.