Interesting rifle scope acquisition

Talk about things other than the Model 8's and 81's
texassako

Interesting rifle scope acquisition

Post by texassako »

I was not sure where else to put this on the net but wanted to share since my 81 has a Texan scope and seen several others with them. I have several of the older ones with the flush fit adjustment covers and Norman Ford printed on them. I like them and started a little collection coming across this on ebay:
texan sample case (600 x 450).jpg
texan sample case (600 x 450).jpg (66.5 KiB) Viewed 3496 times
3 for the price of 2 and a cool box to hold them, 2 4x with crosshairs and 1 2.5x with a german type reticle. They were different than my others having click finger adjustable elevation and windage knobs with cheaper plastic caps and different markings. It is a dealers sample box with one missing and one doesn't look right. One needs a longer bell or shade, maybe a 6x went there. The missing one looks thinner, maybe a 3/4" rimfire scope but it has an extra long cutout where the adjustment knob cutouts would be and along both sides. The most interesting part that was not mentioned in the auction is the letter embossed with Fred Woodell's personal library stamp. The letter gives the history of the case, scopes, and company. Norman Ford designed the lense, Fred designed the scopes and made them at Rotex Mfg in Dallas. The sample cases were for the salesmen selling these new scopes and were the first off the line(not sure if mine are originals but only the 2.5x has ring marks). They also made the Texan reloading equipment, Craftsman tools for Sears, and electric erasers. Sold to his son in law in '96, then it was sold to a company engineer in '07, and Redfield now owns the rights to the Texan line of scopes and reloading equipment. I hope to find the other scopes that fit this box one day.
81police

Re: Interesting rifle scope acquisition

Post by 81police »

I've never seen anything like that before, really cool!
Cam Woodall
Site Co-Administrator
Sarge756

Re: Interesting rifle scope acquisition

Post by Sarge756 »

You did very well on that one . I am glad that I got out of the collection faze with Texan`s a few years ago or we would have been in a bidding war.The seller had some really awful photos and scant description and am glad someone that appreciates them was high bidder. At one I time had eight or ten. I sold all but the ones that are mounted on a couple rifles.The adjustment turrents and covers are different than any I have ever seen.All of mine had the steel flat covers . The 3/4 inch model if it is a 4X is most likely the "ChuckTexan" Model perhaps not designated as such when these were made. Great scopes with quality glass that rivaled the Lyman`s of the day for a bit less money. I use one with a Lee dot on a Browning 22 Auto and have a post reticle 2.5X on a muzzleloader.
The letter and the display case certainly adds to the value and I wish you luck in finding the missing scope. If you don`t have it in your saved on Fleabay you should save the search for Texan scope and have them send you an email when a new Texan is listed.
Joe
".......ain't many troubles that a man cain't fix
With seven hundred dollars and a thirty ought six."