REMINGTON MODEL 8 SER.# 288

Talk about things other than the Model 8's and 81's
f.a.b.

REMINGTON MODEL 8 SER.# 288

Post by f.a.b. »

I spent the weekend with ( rem81 auto ) at the Michigan Antique Arms Show in Novi Mi. -- Dennis picked a nice 81 KRIEGER and I spent two days trying to talk myself into buying a Model 8 ser. # 288 the gun was in good condition but had a old re blue.The guns serial number is listed in Henwoods book so that made it interesting. The Old Boy wanted $450.00 and would not budge !! At the end of the show I decided to pass -- You all have a Great Day -- Rick
imfuncity

Re: REMINGTON MODEL 8 SER.# 288

Post by imfuncity »

450 is a reasonable price in my neighborhood, for a nice shooter - but I can understand your hesitation for something that is more collectable.
Though defensive violence will always be “a sad necessity” in the eyes of men of principle, it would be still more unfortunate if wrongdoers should dominate just men. - St. Augustine
81police

Post by 81police »

Dennis is always snagging the deals!

#288 huh, that's a pretty low serial number, don't see 3 digit serial numbers too often. Wonder if he ever sold it.
Cam Woodall
Site Co-Administrator
Wildgoose

Post by Wildgoose »

Price for these rifles is one of the things that makes them so interesting to me. I have never bought one out here in the great plains at a gun show. The prices are always too high and you really dont see many of them unless its down in Kansas City. Where I live here in Nebraska they are indeed few and far between. Bolt guns and levers are the rule. So most often when one does come up they are about $200 over what I would give. And interestingly the dealers selling them really know very little about the guns. I have noticed that the number of rifles on the on line gun lists has dropped off lately and asking prices have gone up. 8-)
81police

Post by 81police »

Prices are definitely peculiar. Take a look at this Model 8 and its selling price of $402. No bolt, drilled & tapped receiver, welded barrel jacket, no rear sight. You just never know.

http://www.gunbroker.com/Auction/ViewIt ... =259368651
Cam Woodall
Site Co-Administrator
rem81auto

Post by rem81auto »

I had 6 8's and 1 81 for sale at the show. I believe Rick had 1 8 and 1 81 for sale. I think all were reasonably priced and both of us could have been beaten down on price a bit .... to my knowledge only one of my rifles was picked up more of curiosity than buying interest the entire show. The 3 others at other vender's tables remained unsold also.
imfuncity

Another show report

Post by imfuncity »

I was at a large-for-our-area show this pass Saturday; until around noon there were so many folks that one could hardly get down the aisles. But, talked with an FFL/vendor friend there, he said that by 1pm they had done approximately 1/3 the number of firearm transfers that they normally do by that time. (For those of you in the free-states, all firearms in CA are bad and must go to jail for 10 days before the new owner can pay the $35-50 bail and take possession of their purchase. :cry: )

It also appeared to me, that there was a lot less fondling and much more looking at just the price tags. By late afternoon, most of the vendors were dealing… among theirselves -much to their wives chagrin, I’m convinced that is why most of them are really there! :shock: (And, why several of them, now have their throttle/wives sitting with them!)

There were no M8 or M81s. Speaking of chagrin, I was there looking for nothing, but I have been down with the twenty-two bug of late and by the time I left there were two less long ones on vendor’s tables including one very pretty Weatherby. :twisted:
Though defensive violence will always be “a sad necessity” in the eyes of men of principle, it would be still more unfortunate if wrongdoers should dominate just men. - St. Augustine